Kobe Beef

Norm Peterson

1 minute ago, jason2486 said:

I can't believe Kobe did this interview or answered some of those questions. I have never seen something quite like this. Even though we assume it's very truthful, not a good look on Kobe's part. While it's nice for us fans to get that inside perspective, he has probably broken quite a bit of trust within the team/staff. This has the makings of the modern-day version on the 96 season. 

I get the feeling that trust is already sharing the same status as the dodo bird. 

and i wish this would be like hte 96 team: they at least won the NIT that year. 

As long as we’re on the Husker Hoops depression thread, it doesn’t help tonight to watch Chuckie Hepburn play great against NW.    And  see how both these teams (Northwestern and Wisconsin) are way, way better than us.  Hard to see where any wins will come.  

Edited by HB

3 minutes ago, HB said:

As long as we’re on the Husker Hoops depression thread, it doesn’t help to ought to watch Chuckie Hepburn play great against NW.    And  see how both these teams (Northwestern and Wisconsin) are way, way better than us.  Hard to see where any wins will come.  

The "wins" will come during the next seat-yourself process when all those guys who scooped up extra lower-bowl seats during the last seat-yourself process look at their ROI for those seat purchases, see that we're stuck with this horrid team dynamic for at least the forseeable future since we have a buyout like a giant millstone tied around our necks, and decide to dump their extras, and, without a lot of energy or passion among the remaining fans, lower bowl demand reduces to a trickle and NORM FINALLY GETS TO MOVE INTO THE GOOD SEATS. At least that's the story I keep telling myself so I don't cry myself to sleep each night.

Oh, and finding free parking should be a breeze.

This is what you get when you assemble a roster like this, with mix and match pieces that don't fit together.  And it doesn't matter whether you're recruiting from High School, JuCo or the transfer portal.  You've got know who you are recruiting, and recruit the types of players that can and will hold each other accountable, and not a bunch of "who the f*** are you to judge me" type players.  

This falls on Matt Ab, and Fred who signs off on the recruits.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The question, specifically, was who is the player that is holding his teammates accountable. And the answer was nobody.

They're not working on the little things and they're not being held accountable for failing to do the little things. And Kobe said he told the coaches that the players can't hold each other accountable if the coaches won't.

😬... I wonder about the leash for the assistants.  They don't all strike me as "won't" types.    

• hhcmatt changed the title to Kobe dishes
10 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I can't believe Kobe did this interview or answered some of those questions. I have never seen something quite like this. Even though we assume it's very truthful, not a good look on Kobe's part. While it's nice for us fans to get that inside perspective, he has probably broken quite a bit of trust within the team/staff. This has the makings of the modern-day version of the 96 season. 

Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to give a free pass to what the players and coaches have let slip through the cracks either. That has to be addressed also. Long story short, this is an awful look for so many reasons.

Respect this thought process as well.  This could burn some bridges as you said.  However, if it’s a last resort type of thing, what does he he to lose.  Also, and I mentioned this earlier, this could be a situation where things are 10 times worse than he is even letting on.

8 hours ago, coughunter said:

I feel like no one, either fans or teammates, wants to admit or say it but it feels like a certain high star player has this attitute.  Maybe Im wrong but you never hear teammates other then "relatives" talk about said player.  

Agreed. Most people probably think this is all about Verge. I’m sure it is, in part. Lat also. But it seems like some people are walking on egg shells when talking about Bryce and you never hear his teammates talk about him at all. His points help the team, but it’s a wash at best when you factor in the turnovers, poor decisions and lack of effort on defense. 

44 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Agreed. Most people probably think this is all about Verge. I’m sure it is, in part. Lat also. But it seems like some people are walking on egg shells when talking about Bryce and you never hear his teammates talk about him at all. His points help the team, but it’s a wash at best when you factor in the turnovers, poor decisions and lack of effort on defense. 

Exactly.  It almost seems like he has free reign to do what he wants cause they probably know hes gone.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

For real, bro? Or are you implying Doc ain't around much?

Doc lives at the Courtyard hotel (lol..no..I will not say where specifically although  I know as I've seen him walk in and out).  I'm staying there the next two nights I've ran into him almost every time I've stayed there. 

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

But it seems like some people are walking on egg shells when talking about Bryce and you never hear his teammates talk about him at all. His points help the team, but it’s a wash at best when you factor in the turnovers, poor decisions and lack of effort on defense. 

Bryce has been a surefire NBA guy since turning like 13. I'm sure bad habits form when no one in AAU and HS ball wants to be the guy to piss off the surefire NBA guy. A college coach should be the one to help break those habits, but it looks like our staff doesn't want to be the ones to do it either. Really a shame for Bryce. 

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Bryce has been a surefire NBA guy since turning like 13. I'm sure bad habits form when no one in AAU and HS ball wants to be the guy to piss off the surefire NBA guy. A college coach should be the one to help break those habits, but it looks like our staff doesn't want to be the ones to do it either. Really a shame for Bryce. 

This^^^^  I would cut the kid some slack for poor rebounding given his size if he even attempted to box out and do it.  He can't keep anyone in front of him on defense, if he can't do it at this level, no way in hell he will at the next level.  Again, one has to wonder how much effort he puts into working at it.  

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Respect this thought process as well.  This could burn some bridges as you said.  However, if it’s a last resort type of thing, what does he he to lose.  Also, and I mentioned this earlier, this could be a situation where things are 10 times worse than he is even letting on.

I have no qualms burning a bridge that leads to nowhere.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Culinary note: This thread should be titled "Kobe Beef". (I should get an upvote from Cip for this one).

Your wish is my command.

Seriously, I just threw out a title because I wanted to get something up and all I could think about was when the sprinter for Belarus criticized her coach in social media and she had to defect to Poland because they were going to throw her butt in jail.

Matt's title is admittedly better than mine. But I am a food guy, so ...

16 hours ago, HB said:

Hope he gets asked about it by Trev.

If there's one thing that Trev is known for around UNO, other than being fiscally responsible within the athletic department, it's that he does not tolerate nonsense inside programs from his coaches. There's a reason certain people were suddenly no longer around the football program this fall.

I'm guessing this would fit under the type of nonsense Trev cannot stand. However, I also don't think they want to pay the buyout at this point. So, unless he just steps down, I imagine Fred will get a chance to retool his staff and attempt to weed out the problems. I hope he takes advantage of it.

However, as Mr. Barfknect was always fond of saying, booster money to pay buyouts just seems to materialize when it's needed. If attendance continues to plummet and they go 0-for-Jan/Feb/March, who knows? It may be fiscally responsible to pay the buyout, start over, and begin selling hope to season ticket holders again, rather than return to the diehard 4000-5000 from the last days at the Bob.

You have to be able to sell hope for the future or winning. Right now, we have neither, and we're a long way from either one. And that's depressing as hell.