Kobe Beef

Norm Peterson

The question, specifically, was who is the player that is holding his teammates accountable. And the answer was nobody.

They're not working on the little things and they're not being held accountable for failing to do the little things. And Kobe said he told the coaches that the players can't hold each other accountable if the coaches won't.

And it just makes you wonder, if this is the stuff happening on the practice floor, what accountability is there for things away from the practice floor?

I listened to this and I was just gobsmacked.

It ain't no wonder that ppl like @tcp are saying they don't like this team. Because what you see on the floor on game day is a reflection of who they are being off the floor.

There's a place where the buck stops. But it's apparently in Trev Albert's office because it sure doesn't appear to be in Hendricks.

Disappointing for sure. But certainly not surprising that coaches aren't holding players accountable, seeing what we see on the floor. If coaches were holding players accountable in practice, we wouldn't see the mistakes we're seeing.

It's a little better than it was at the start of the season, but if the coaches were grinding, they'd have seen these mistakes in October and earlier, rather than quoting how many 3s we're hitting in shooting "drills". They wouldn't have needed to lose to Western Illinois and get smoked by Michigan and Auburn to figure it out.

I am surprised Kobe said it, but I'm not surprised it's happening. A couple coaches looked checked out through the first several games, and the team looked like it spent all summer and fall holding half-assed scrimmages instead of grinding in practice or taking care of the little things that lead to winning. Not holding players accountable in practice fits right in with all of that.

This is a league where the coaches and players grind, maybe more than any other league. If we have coaches who aren't interested in that, they should step out of the way and let someone else take a crack at it. Players and fans deserve better.

Edited by throwback

I'll be curious to see if HCFH gets asked about that or not and what his response will be. I'll also be curious to see what response Kobe gets from his teammates and coaches. We may never know about that part. That's the kind of info that usually comes out 3-5 years after the fact or when the coach gets canned. Not mid-season... Maybe it's the kick in the pants they need? Or maybe it's the nail in the coffin for this coaching era?

Edited by uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I'll be curious to see if HCFH gets asked about that or not and what his response will be. I'll also be curious to see what response Kobe gets from his teammates and coaches. We may never know about that part. That's the kind of info that usually comes out 3-5 years after the fact or when the coach gets canned. Not mid-season... Maybe it's the kick in the pants they need? Or maybe it's the nail in the coffin for this coaching era?

This coming from Kobe of all people gives it more value in my eyes. A guy that took a lesser role to be here, and decided to come back when he didn’t have to. If he says it’s broken, it’s probably broken. He’s not just a guy disappointed he’s not getting his shots and wants to leave. 

My big concern with Fred early on was he would coach like he was still in the NBA.  Expecting his guys to already know and do the little things right because they are pros.  But these aren’t pros…they are college kids.    And I suspect successful guys like Popovich still worked on fundamentals.  Not shocking to hear but it is disgusting to say the least.  I think this has a ton to do with our problems.  Our culture is trash.  I feel bad for Kobe.

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This coming from Kobe of all people gives it more value in my eyes. A guy that took a lesser role to be here, and decided to come back when he didn’t have to. If he says it’s broken, it’s probably broken. He’s not just a guy disappointed he’s not getting his shots and wants to leave. 

And because its him saying these things it makes me believe there is a close to zero % chance Hoiberg is the Coach to turn this thing around. To be fair the % wasn't much higher before he said it 😬

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Hope he gets asked about it by Trev.

Edited by HB

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

And when he says it, he doesn’t come across sounding like he’s doing it to call anybody out. He comes across sounding like he’s trying to be fair but still answer the question honestly. You can tell he’s even trying to downplay some of the problems when he says things like “as soon as we get our personal agendas out of the way it’ll get better“ and things like that.

Regardless, it was very disconcerting to listen to that. But it sure does explain a lot!

this is the stuff that gets a fan to just belt out, "fire the lot of them!"

trev's going to be severely tested early in his tenure. he survives this series betvveen football and hoops, give the dude a lifetime contract. 

what a staggering waste of millions in the facilities arms race. i'm getting like 49er--i'm geting sick to death of sports in general. this crap ain't healthy. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

@throwback Go listen to the whole hour if you have time, because there's other stuff, too. Lot's of stuff they're not doing.

First question was basically do they even care how bad things are going? And Webster basically said, well, yeah, it might not look like it, but as soon as they get over their own personal agendas, things might turn around. Like WTF?

But I'm particularly troubled by that last 10 minutes or so.

Vershan Jackson gives an illustration of how a conversation between teammates holding each other accountable might go. "I need you to do a better job of boxing out." "Yeah, OK, gotcha." "Because I'm tired of losing." "I got you."

And Webster's like, um, that kind of nice back and forth? Yeah, that's not happening with us. And Vershan Jackson mimics players saying like "You're not the boss of me!" And Webster responds, yep, that's pretty much what it is.

The culture in this program is deep in the shit. And the head guy, who's getting $3.5 million this year to BE the head guy, needs to pull his head out of his butt and quit tolerating what he's getting.

I'm just beside myself here. I ain't that damn old yet, but I ain't getting any younger, and I want to be around when the monkey comes off this program's back. So I'd appreciate a little sense of urgency by the guys who are in charge. I'm just so disgusted RN I don't even know what to say.

If you’ll recall a guy named Tim Miles said, “you get what you tolerate”…

• Norm Peterson changed the title to If Kobe Webster played for Team Belarus, he'd be sitting in a jail for what he just did. (And I applaud him for it.)

I can't believe Kobe did this interview or answered some of those questions. I have never seen something quite like this. Even though we assume it's very truthful, not a good look on Kobe's part. While it's nice for us fans to get that inside perspective, he has probably broken quite a bit of trust within the team/staff. This has the makings of the modern-day version of the 96 season. 

Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to give a free pass to what the players and coaches have let slip through the cracks either. That has to be addressed also. Long story short, this is an awful look for so many reasons.

Edited by jason2486

I can't believe Kobe did this interview or answered some of those questions. I have never seen something quite like this. Even though we assume it's very truthful, not a good look on Kobe's part. While it's nice for us fans to get that inside perspective, he has probably broken quite a bit of trust within the team/staff. This has the makings of the modern-day version of the 96 season. 
Maybe it was needed to be said.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk