OT: Kalynn Meyer....

whoopdeedoo

24 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

for any bb fans that also follow vb, here's a little news...

Meyer to throw

Kalynn Meyer will be pulling double duty this spring as she will compete with the NU track and field team, according to a report by the Lincoln Journal Star.

One of the top discus throwers in the US out of high school. Holds the Nebraska HS state meet record I think. 175' approx.  Technics are excellent. Very fast through the ring.

Saw her throw at state meet. Very strong and skilled...you would think her dad trained her :) ( he still holds state boys record himself) 

Edited by redsteve

Honest questions.  I think Meyer is on a Volleyball scholarship.  Would she then change to a track scholarship?  and does it provide as much assistance as the vb scholly.

It does not seem like the two sports overlap much (if at all) in their seasons.

I also read somewhere (re Mendelson's case) that it is ok for a player to play VB on a WBB scholarship, but the reverse is not allowed under NCAA rules (i.e. a player on vb scholarship is not allowed to play basketball).  https://twitter.com/eliteBB2024/status/1454943345030090753?s=20

Edited by Red Don

2 hours ago, Red Don said:

Honest questions.  I think Meyer is on a Volleyball scholarship.  Would she then change to a track scholarship?  and does it provide as much assistance as the vb scholly.

It does not seem like the two sports overlap much (if at all) in their seasons.

I also read somewhere (re Mendelson's case) that it is ok for a player to play VB on a WBB scholarship, but the reverse is not allowed under NCAA rules (i.e. a player on vb scholarship is not allowed to play basketball).  https://twitter.com/eliteBB2024/status/1454943345030090753?s=20

Track scholarships are typically not full ride scholarships.  Most track athletes still pay something toward their education.

6 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I see Meyer threw shot over the weekend.  Over 50 feet is an amazing mark for her debut in the indoor college track season.  If she could devote more time to the sport, I'd like to see St. Clair coach her in weight/hammer.

Meyer won the track meet shot put event with her 50'+ throw. Her first college track meet ! Not a B1G meet, but there were several other schools there. 

She was  good at the shot in HS, but in the discus she was exceptional.

With her substantial experience and high skill set at the discus, I could see her excelling at the hammer throw. It's similar to the discus in the MO, so to speak.

(very few states have hammer throw in HS women's athletics, and not NE for sure.) That's some of the reason the USA doesn't have a large international presence in the hammer. Have to start to learn the event after HS, while the rest of the world has kids start early in their hammer careers.

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, fred1212 said:

Did she ever play against Markowski in HS BB? 

With her athletic ability and size (look at those long arms) it seems she could be unstoppable under the basket.

Markowski was class a, Meyer was class c.  With the age difference and class difference it was doubtful.  Meyer really needs to give up VB and and work on becoming an Olympic thrower. With Cook recruiting over her and the returnees it will be tough to see much floor time.

KM talks about playing vb and track/field:

https://www.klkntv.com/superior-native-meyer-now-a-two-sport-athlete-at-nebraska/

“I knew I had wanted to do both kind of originally,” Meyer said. “But then the first season of volleyball just didn’t quite go to plan since we had the spring season. But then all the tables just kind of came together like the time was right that I just decided to join this coming spring.”

Edited by whoopdeedoo

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, huskerchode said:

I had a feeling this was coming when Kaitlyn Hord transferred to NE. I wish her all the best. 

Good for Kalynn Meyer, hoping she reaches her dream of the 2024 Olympic competition. It had to start sooner than later, and since VB already has a stable of middle blockers for 2022 & beyond, so it seems to make a ton of sense for all parties involved. She was an amazing multi-sport athlete in the H.S. ranks, so her BIG DREAM is no surprise to me.

• 1 month later...

this is a very good read about Meyer's decision to leave vb....and how difficult it can be to participate in duo sports. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/husker-sports/kalynn-meyer-is-rewriting-her-story-by-transitioning-to-nebraska-track-and-field-full-time/article_8a1454d2-c121-11ec-8ff8-ff1f98a673bb.html

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Smart heady Nebraska girl.   The article makes total sense for her. Two sports are too much, especially if one's a national level sport. Her reasons for leaving volleyball are realistic, and opened up other options for her anyway.  She's gifted at the discus throw.

Can you imagine her rebounding for the women's basketball team ?   ...... 11 1/2 shoes !!