uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 19 - vs. Indiana

uneblinstu

Since Jan 1st, Derrick has doubled his shooting rate.

Prior to that time, we shot 27.5% from 3

After that, we've shot 36.6% from 3, all against B1G opponents.

I'd theorize we've had more of a shot selection issue than shooter issue this season among our myriad of other issues.

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Since Jan 1st, Derrick has doubled his shooting rate.

Prior to that time, we shot 27.5% from 3

After that, we've shot 36.6% from 3, all against B1G opponents.

I'd theorize we've had more of a shot selection issue than shooter issue this season among our myriad of other issues.

So you're suggesting having a legit scoring presence in the low post provides MORE open looks for our 3 point shooters? Interesting...

15 hours ago, tcp said:

I'll catch snippets here and there during games, but I simply don't like this team. At all.

This is where I'm at.  Except I don't watch any of the games.  I wait until after the game to check the score to see how much we lost by.  If it's under 20, I'm actually happy and then I go on with my day.

Fred Hoiberg and this team in particular has done something I didn't think was possible.  They've made me actually hate college hoops and I can't be bothered to watch ANY games, not just Nebraska.

Posting here is the only personal investment in the game that I have left.

35 minutes ago, 49r said:

This is where I'm at.  Except I don't watch any of the games.  I wait until after the game to check the score to see how much we lost by.  If it's under 20, I'm actually happy and then I go on with my day.

Fred Hoiberg and this team in particular has done something I didn't think was possible.  They've made me actually hate college hoops and I can't be bothered to watch ANY games, not just Nebraska.

Posting here is the only personal investment in the game that I have left.

this saddens me, 9er. You've been such a good fan for so long, but I've noticed a fevv enthusiastic sorts that just seem like their souls have been sucked out of their spines by space jellyfish or something. 

I guess I'm lucky that my life's chaotic and hazardous enough vvithout needing to care too much about a sport, so I can preserve that last little bit of enthusiasm for the last shred of amateurism that exists in college sports. 

4 hours ago, tcp said:

this saddens me, 9er. You've been such a good fan for so long, but I've noticed a fevv enthusiastic sorts that just seem like their souls have been sucked out of their spines by space jellyfish or something. 

I guess I'm lucky that my life's chaotic and hazardous enough vvithout needing to care too much about a sport, so I can preserve that last little bit of enthusiasm for the last shred of amateurism that exists in college sports. 

It saddens me too...actually I have a lot of conflicting emotions about it honestly.  I'm frustrated and angry and saddened by the state of the NUAD as it stands now.  Embarrassed by the constant mocking we as Nebraskans and Husker fans receive from our rival fan bases...

...and yet I am also happy with the lifestyle changes I've made now as I pursue much more healthy and productive activities that ultimately fill my life with more joy.  I quietly mock others who pathetically base their own sense of well being and self worth on a college sports team that they follow, particularly those who did not even attend the college whose teams they support.

Also, the increasing professionalism of formerly amateur athletics - and the collegiate environment of which I became so fond of as a Nebraska student and fan, which is dissolving before our eyes - has really turned me off of the games.  Which is not to say that I don't support athletes getting paid.  They absolutely should, and they deserve it, but it's just a symptom of the larger problem in society in which we place way too much emphasis on these silly sports.  Especially in the US.  College and pro.  There is too much money.  The media is also a big problem, ESPN stands to gain billions of dollars every year whipping fans into a frenzy.  We didn't care about this stuff 40 years ago like we do now.

But all of this is just a huge digression, and maybe it's me changing my life priorities, and maybe it's just a product of the teams I care about most being so bad for so long, I don't know.  Maybe Scott will get the football team turned around and maybe Fred will finally get it going and maybe I will get sucked right back in.  But probably, for me at least, I will never have quite the passion that I once did for it all.  And maybe that's not such a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Also, the increasing professionalism of formerly amateur athletics - and the collegiate environment of which I became so fond of as a Nebraska student and fan, which is dissolving before our eyes - has really turned me off of the games.

There's many other options out there outside of college basketball that is forcing the hand of NCAA.

International, G-League, and even high school pro leagues are just a handful of those options.

Here's an example of one athlete who turned down opportunities at Florida, Georgia, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Cincinnati, Texas Tech, and Ole Miss for $100,000 in salary per season plus bonuses and stock in Overtime Elite:

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/.amp/basketball/jaylen-martin-signs-with-overtime-elite

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm suggesting our coaching staff stumbled into that realization 

It’s also why I pointed out in the Purdue thread why we need about 3 more guys his size that can actually SCORE around the basket. Think: Brandon Ubel, Bernard Garner, Bruce Chubik, we have a dearth of that type of talent…

Edited by Handy Johnson