uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 19 - vs. Indiana

uneblinstu

4 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

Has Nebraska ever gone o for  in a conference, maybe that is something to shoot for.   It's sad when a first year coach beats the third year coach without too much trouble.

Actually... I believe the answer is actually "No, it hasn't happened in our history."

1 conference win (3): Bush (1962-63), Lewandowski (1944-45), Lewandowski (1943-44)

2 conference wins (5): Hoiberg (2019-20), Sadler (2009-10), Browne (1939-40), Browne (1932-33), Black (1931-32)

We just could not get over the hump.  The 2nd half we were no closer than 4, but Indiana was never ahead by more than 10.  

It seemed like every time we got close, we would give up a basket.  We would turnover the ball.

Verge played well until 2 minutes to go, and then went into hero ball.  

Saturday is not going to be pretty.

We've tried everything on defense.  We've doubled the post against OSU.  We've tried singling up on everyone else.  We've tried playing zone.  Indiana shot 54 % for the game.  We had no answer for the big men in the middle.

I still have hope we can win a few games down the stretch.  I do agree with Fred, that we need to win a close game.  Now, Fred has to figure this out, and work on it during practice, so that we are in the best position to win.

Appreciated the fight tonight - guessing a lot of that was Trey's influence. He worked hard on the finish of his jump shot during his time injured; really like the way it looked tonight. 

Still think we'll win 2 or 3 in the back half of the conference schedule. About the best we can hope for at this point.

49 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Also, if I am a Hoosier fan, I am mad as hell at DW for that pretty cheap foul on their star!  

If you come in trying to dunk on somebody's head, you better be ready for the consequences of them not wanting said head to be dunked on.

Edited by Crush78
Grammar

5 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

If you come in trying to dunk on somebody's head, you better be ready for the consequences of them not wanting said head to be dunked on.

Saw nothing wrong with that play.  At least he didn’t try to step on a guy’s groin after he knocked him to the floor.

and the officiating was just plain horrible BOTH WAYS AND SIDE WAYS ON SUNDAY. That was almost a 2 hour plus game.

at the end when Trey and their point guy both went to the floor the official that blew his whistle was like, “oh sh!t I blew my whistle what do I call?”

Edited by Silverbacked1

1 minute ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Saw nothing wrong with that play.  At least he didn’t try to step on a guy’s groin after he knocked him to the floor.

and the officiating saw just plain horrible BOTH WAYS AND SIDE WAYS ON SUNDAY.

at the end when Trey and their point guy both went to the floor the official that blew his whistle was like, “oh sh!t I blew my whistle what do I call?”

I dont know if I've ever seen so many official huddles trying to figure out what the hell they just called in a game.

Just got home from the game.  You can see why it’s getting harder and harder to make those drives this year.  

— Daughter is now 3-1 going to games this year.  Even her luck wasn’t enough.

— What an awful start.  We never caught up really after that.

— Pretty chippy game, ref’s didn’t control it very well I don’t think.  Xavier Johnson played like he had something personal which was weird because he was so like 3-4 years ago.

— So awesome having Trey back.  Happy that he got the huge applause.  Definitely tried to play an “enforcer” type role tonight which I was here for.

— I hope my daughter can experience the true PBA atmosphere some day.  It’s just not the same right now.  It really hit at tip off.  God Bless that hype man.  It’s tough to hype up the crowd right now.  Can you feel it plays like a funeral march these days.

— I’d love to think we win a few in the back half but who?  Winnable game after winnable game we’ve just found ways to lose.  How many times do we have to say “well we could have gotten that one,  but that gives me hope we’ll win a few”?

— My daughter, who is 3, said “we were close daddy” and that about sums it up being a Nebraska fan.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Worst call of the night was the “overturned” over and back where the baseline official overruled the referee literally standing at mid-court.

If I'm the official 2 feet away and the guy 50 ft away tries to overrule me, i would ask him what he was smoking.

Just now, Crush78 said:

If I'm the official 2 feet away and the guy 50 ft away tries to overrule me, i would ask him what he was smoking.

Officiating isn’t easy.  I’m an official.  I’ve done high school games.  Even those get fast paced sometimes.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt most times.  

But you don’t do yourself any favors making calls like that.  That, obviously, wasn’t even his “zone”.  So that tells me he was ball watching instead of watching the play under the basket or in the corner area where he should have been watching.

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Worst call of the night was the “overturned” over and back where the baseline official overruled the referee literally standing at mid-court.

Just moments after the call off the knee.

Tough call seeing it live, certainly. But bad breaks for us. Could've had a chance to tie this game if a couple things went our way and we took advantage of those opportunities. Nonetheless.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Officiating isn’t easy.  I’m an official.  I’ve done high school games.  Even those get fast paced sometimes.  I try to give them the benefit of the doubt most times.  

But you don’t do yourself any favors making calls like that.  That, obviously, wasn’t even his “zone”.  So that tells me he was ball watching instead of watching the play under the basket or in the corner area where he should have been watching.

Right, its not really the call I'm arguing, its why is that guy from that position even trying to make it. 

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

— Pretty chippy game, ref’s didn’t control it very well I don’t think.  Xavier Johnson played like he had something personal which was weird because he was so like 3-4 years ago.

Trey and Xavier were roommates at Pitt. That had something to do with it. 

Notes and quotes from UNL

• Bryce McGowens had his fifth 20-point game of the season, which ties Dave Hoppen for the third-most 20-point games by a freshman in program history.
  • Alonzo Verge Jr. netted 19 points, recording 15th game in double-figures this season. His last basket marked his 1,000th career point, including his two seasons at Arizona State.
  • Trey McGowens made his first appearance since Nov. 16, finishing with seven points and two steals in 21 minutes. He had missed NU’s last 15 games with a foot injury.
  • The Huskers made 17 free throws (17-of-21), tying the most free throws made in Big Ten play this year since knocking down 17 vs. No. 13 Ohio State. Nebraska shot 81 percent from the charity stripe, the second-highest total on the season.

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg

On Trey McGowens

“Having Trey out there was a lift. You see how much better we are with his intensity, his leadership and his passion on the defensive end of the floor. I thought Alonzo (Verge Jr.) added great pressure on the ball and getting deflections. I think we had nine steals on the night. Again, Trey just gives us a whole different element out there. Being able to put him on the ball or on the other team’s best offensive player, that’s going to be huge for us moving forward. For Trey, as I talked to him, and having an opportunity in my career to come back from a long layoff, it’s all about going out there and letting the game come to you and making simple plays and I thought Trey did a great job of that tonight and stepping up and knocking down that first three, knocking down all of his free throws, and again, giving us that huge lift. As far as his minute-load, we talked about anywhere from 16 to 22. We have a chip that our guys wear underneath their jerseys. When I met with R.J. (Pietig), our trainer, at halftime, he said that his load was at a perfect spot and we could up his minutes by about three in the second half, so that’s what the decision was, to get him up over 21, right in line with where we wanted his load to be. It’s great to have Trey back out there on the floor.”

On cutting Indiana’s lead but not being able to break through

“We cut it to four on a few occasions, but we just couldn’t get over the hump. We couldn’t get that big stop; we couldn’t get the basket to cut it to a single possession game. I don’t think we ever got there. You have to find a way to buckle down and get that stop and make the right play. We had a couple plays in the lane to get right to the basket, and we tried to kick it out and turned it over. I think we had three of those, where we had opportunities. We missed a couple right there at the rim. You have to capitalize. You have to finish in order to get over the hump and win these games. You have to be able to make those plays when they present themselves.”

On playing on MLK Jr. Day

“It’s an absolute honor to play on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I’ve been very fortunate over the course of my career, as a player, playing on this day, as a coach, in the NBA playing on this day and it’s special. It’s an absolute honor to play on this day, understanding what this great man meant to our history and what he means to our history. There’s a lot of work to be done, obviously, for what his vision was and what his message was, but for our players, it’s an honor to be able to go out there and play on this day and honor a great man.”

Nebraska Guard Trey McGowens

On his return tonight

“It was really good to be out there competing with my guys. I know they've been missing me, and I've been missing being out there with them. I’ve been competing on a daily basis. I wish we could have got it done.”

On making his first shot

“All the chair shooting I did. I could not do jump shots for six weeks so I really just focused on my mechanics. Five hundred shots a day, and I'm still doing it. Just making sure that I have a clean shot, and I am paying great attention to detail with my shooting.”

On the crowd welcoming him when he checked in

“It felt good. I definitely missed being out there. Basketball is what I have done my whole life and you can say that my life pretty much revolves around basketball. I'm in the gym 2-3 times a day and once you lose that it makes you appreciate it a little more. They tell me that I am in the gym too much and to stay out, but I have been away from it so long. I could not wait to get back.”

Indiana Head Coach Mike Woodson

On what he liked from the team

“Just winning on the road. That’s what was great. We’ve played well enough on the road to win some games, but this was a big win for us.”

On if it was hard to get into a rhythm with the amount of fouls

“Yeah, we fouled a lot. They fouled a lot too, but that’s Big Ten basketball. You just have to play however the officials are calling it that game.”

On if they focused on turning the ball over less

“That’s every game. We tried to keep our turnovers at 12 or less. I just thought our guards did a really good job controlling the tempo. When they made runs, we came down and milked possessions and were able to counter those runs.”

On the bench’s play

“I tell you guys this all the time, but the bench is just as important as the guys that start and our bench had been struggling a little bit. I thought tonight they came in with the right mindset and we got some good production from them. Tonight, I thought they were ready to go and very productive.”

On how important it is to win on the road

“It’s huge. You can’t lose at home and when you’re on the road you’ve got to try and put yourself in the best position to win it. We’ve done that and our defensive has given us opportunities.” 

11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

By the way - I was told by a biased and unnamed source at the game that one of the refs was told by league officials that under no circumstances Nebraska can win a game.  It would be catastrophic for teams attempting to reach the tournament.  So ant call he made had to favor Indiana...believe it or not...

Also, if I am a Hoosier fan, I am mad as hell at DW for that pretty cheap foul on their star!  

Were you told from a biased and unnamed source that I'm filthy rich and married to a super model as well?