uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 19 - vs. Indiana

uneblinstu

Welcome back, Trey!

• This was an intense game, but too many given away possessions and poor defense kept NU from getting over the top in this one. NU definitely had their chances and they look like a better team than a few weeks ago, but still not enough to win on this day.
  • NU had no answer for TJD.
  • We've got too many guys trying to hit a six point shot.
  • IU tried to keep NU in this one down the stretch, but the Huskers just couldn't make the right play to take advantage. 
  • Gosh, this is a missed opportunity. I still think they win some with Trey back, but this one was gettable.
  • This team makes me sad. I hope we have joy again someday at PBA.

I forgot what winning feels like. 

-Played good enough to win. Both McGowens missed open 3s that could've made it a one possession game. 

-Walker had an off game by his standards. Really thought Andre played tough. 

-two straight possessions we wasted with verge driving recklessly to the rim with under 3 left

-Forcing turnovers works, but you can't turn the ball over at the same time. We only had 1 less TO than IU. 

-Trey was good with his on the ball pressure I thought. Didn't try to do too much in his first game back. 

OSU wants revenge probably, so go fishing on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, hhcscott said:

I'm trying to figure out why I'm watching. Normally, at this point in a lost season I'm watching out of loyalty to the seniors who gave years to this program...and I am watching for the youngsters who are getting solid development opportunities to face B1G opponents. But neither of those feel accurate. If you go all in on transfers and free agents, you have to win, but if you have no continuity and no success, who am I cheering for? Some kid who will be around (maybe) one season? If we aren't going to transfer in NBA Talent, then we need to coach up kids for four years and make a GD team rather than a collection of individuals.

I'm not anymore. I'll catch snippets here and there during games, but I simply don't like this team. At all. 

Besides, their predictability on how they lose kinda takes thefun out of it. with football, it's always a mystery as to what's going to do them in. hoops? not so much. every game feels like every other looks like every other. and it's always bad. 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

I'm not anymore. I'll catch snippets here and there during games, but I simply don't like this team. At all. 

Besides, their predictability on how they lose kinda takes thefun out of it. with football, it's always a mystery as to what's going to do them in. hoops? not so much. every game feels like every other looks like every other. and it's always bad. 

It's like the difference between Agatha Christie and Alien...somebody dies, but at least Agatha has some mystery as to the culprit.

Just now, hhcscott said:

It's like the difference between Agatha Christie and Alien...somebody dies, but at least Agatha has some mystery as to the culprit.

it's an interesting comparison, and certainly we should all keep our eyes on the players stomachs from here on out. at 4 mins I already started "Verge Watch" to mark that time that, like an aircraft descending to a landing, hero ball into a tall crowd would becomethe signal that the team is headed for losing again. 

7 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I'm trying to figure out why I'm watching. Normally, at this point in a lost season I'm watching out of loyalty to the seniors who gave years to this program...and I am watching for the youngsters who are getting solid development opportunities to face B1G opponents. But neither of those feel accurate. If you go all in on transfers and free agents, you have to win, but if you have no continuity and no success, who am I cheering for? Some kid who will be around (maybe) one season? If we aren't going to transfer in NBA Talent, then we need to coach up kids for four years and make a GD team rather than a collection of individuals.

I'm just a basketball fan, so I'm just going to enjoy watching it in person since I wasn't afforded that opportunity last year. I'm rooting for for the young men to continue to get better at the game they have an opportunity to play. Nothing's good right now, and I hate losing as much as anyone. Is what it is right now, all you can do is find a silver lining and stay positive

As far as who's around next year, we (or @Norm Petersonsince you did it last offseason) can start a thread on the potential lineup going into next year. One thing to remember, Wilcher and Keon have both already used their "free transfer" so they'd have to get a waiver or sit a year. 

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

I'm just a basketball fan, so I'm just going to enjoy watching it in person since I wasn't afforded that opportunity last year. I'm rooting for for the young men to continue to get better at the game they have an opportunity to play. Nothing's good right now, and I hate losing as much as anyone. Is what it is right now, all you can do is find a silver lining and stay positive

As far as who's around next year, we (or @Norm Petersonsince you did it last offseason) can start a thread on the potential lineup going into next year. One thing to remember, Wilcher and Keon have both already used their "free transfer" so they'd have to get a waiver or sit a year. 

With the bench callouses Keon has gotten as a Husker, he's already sat out a year.

I've been positive, against all reason, for decades, but once we moved to a "big time" coach, spending truckloads of money, it stopped being a Cinderella story.

3 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Lat as a 4 just doesn't work in Big 10...  We need muscle and he is soft  Should of brought someone in with size this year.

Witcher & Bryce have to play harder on D!  I get so frustrated watching their defense.

Walker just kinda disappeared out there tonight.  didn't help

If this FH experiment is going to comtinue then they must get a true PG and a physical power forward.  They cant survive in this conference without it.  You hope Andre stays and develops more and who knows about Ola?  But a 6'7"-6'9" PF is needed IMO.

11 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

With the bench callouses Keon has gotten as a Husker, he's already sat out a year.

I've been positive, against all reason, for decades, but once we moved to a "big time" coach, spending truckloads of money, it stopped being a Cinderella story.

Agreed on all counts completely. All I can do right now is enjoy basketball lol. 

3 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Agreed on all counts completely. All I can do right now is enjoy basketball lol. 

I wouldnt read much into Keon.  He did start for some reason and didnt produce.  May have been better with a redshirt.  With 13 schlorships, and 14 or 15 this year cause of covid,its hard to get minutes.  8-9 man rotation is ideal and he is buried by many other wings.  

Bottom line, we again found a way to lose.

BUT

Trey brought passion back to the team.  That made it a better experience.

With that passion we now need execution and execution and finally execution. 

And here is one for the coaches.  When we consistantly start games in a deficit, isn't it time to reexam both your starting five and your game prep/plan???

By the way - I was told by a biased and unnamed source at the game that one of the refs was told by league officials that under no circumstances Nebraska can win a game.  It would be catastrophic for teams attempting to reach the tournament.  So ant call he made had to favor Indiana...believe it or not...

Also, if I am a Hoosier fan, I am mad as hell at DW for that pretty cheap foul on their star!  

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

By the way - I was told by a biased and unnamed source at the game that one of the refs was told by league officials that under no circumstances Nebraska can win a game.  It would be catastrophic for teams attempting to reach the tournament.  So ant call he made had to favor Indiana...believe it or not...

Also, if I am a Hoosier fan, I am mad as hell at DW for that pretty cheap foul on their star!  

Stop, no ref was told that.