What is needed for HuskerHoops to be successful?

Huskers/Cubs

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I promise this is the last time posting this familiar screed:

The time to lock down local talent would have been 20 years ago, but we can start building bridges now that will pay off later.  We have virtually no relationship with Omaha high schools and AAU programs. Omaha kids have been going to (you know who) individual and team camps since they were 3rd graders, and (you know who) coaches and players participate regularly in school and AAU clinics. We're seen as the hotshots who might get in contact if a player gets some notice and later make an appearance in the bleachers for a game just to look interested. Think about how that plays when you're a program with our record of success the last 20 years. So not only are we missing out on kids, we've also given scholarships to kids who didn't pan out. 

Where do I get my info? I know Omaha coaches, my kids played high school basketball, I coached non-varsity high school (just call me Kidney Jr.) and have a friend who was closely tied to OSA. They all say the same thing. I haven't been to high school games and gabbing with these people the last couple years because of Covid, so maybe something has changed under Fred, but I doubt it. 

Assuming at the very least we'll have one new assistant next year, I'd put him in charge of identifying local talent and building bridges with local coaches. Or maybe hope our next head coach figures it out. I think the problem is that our new hires see that the recruiting base is limited and think they have to bring in national-level talent to get somewhere. But you can see that we end up missing out on roster stability, solid 4-year contributors and the occasional kid who turns into a star.

Fred went to a few high school games the last couple of years. (his kids played for Pius😁) Miles made an effort early on to build relations with high school coaches but that kind of waned after time. I can remember Doc at state tournament games and Collier use to have clinic for coaches but I think Nee made the biggest effort to reach out with a team camp that was pretty popular and he would have his own high school ranking on his TV show and so on.  The thing that has bugged me the most over the years is the number of average players we brought in that didn't pan out or left when we could have had a Nebraska kid that would probably hang around, improve his game and be a contributor his last couple years here.

8 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I promise this is the last time posting this familiar screed:

The time to lock down local talent would have been 20 years ago, but we can start building bridges now that will pay off later.  We have virtually no relationship with Omaha high schools and AAU programs. Omaha kids have been going to (you know who) individual and team camps since they were 3rd graders, and (you know who) coaches and players participate regularly in school and AAU clinics. We're seen as the hotshots who might get in contact if a player gets some notice and later make an appearance in the bleachers for a game just to look interested. Think about how that plays when you're a program with our record of success the last 20 years. So not only are we missing out on kids, we've also given scholarships to kids who didn't pan out. 

Where do I get my info? I know Omaha coaches, my kids played high school basketball, I coached non-varsity high school (just call me Kidney Jr.) and have a friend who was closely tied to OSA. They all say the same thing. I haven't been to high school games and gabbing with these people the last couple years because of Covid, so maybe something has changed under Fred, but I doubt it. 

Assuming at the very least we'll have one new assistant next year, I'd put him in charge of identifying local talent and building bridges with local coaches. Or maybe hope our next head coach figures it out. I think the problem is that our new hires see that the recruiting base is limited and think they have to bring in national-level talent to get somewhere. But you can see that we end up missing out on roster stability, solid 4-year contributors and the occasional kid who turns into a star.

Tim made efforts to grow Husker Hoops in Omaha both with players and fans. I’m not saying we would’ve got either one, but both Sallis and Chucky had great relationships with Tim and especially Coach Lewis. Our current staff makes no effort to grow the Husker Hoops brand in the Metro. None. And outside of Traudt, we haven’t put much effort into a local recruit. We didn’t even try the Dix kid from CB-AL that had offers from Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota before signing with Iowa. Apparently he didn’t catch Matty A’s recruiting eye of kids that don’t like to pass, shoot very well and can’t play defense. 

It’s really just a continuation of Fred not recruiting locally. He didn’t really recruit the state of Iowa either. Give me Craig Smith or Darrien Devries. They will value local and building a program. Not roster turnover every season.

I actually think we were so damn close with Miles and Doc. Both were unique personality guys that I thought, culturally, fit in super well and definitely had a plan. Both just couldn’t get over the hump and had different fatal flaws. It’s kind of one of those things where it’s never as good as it seems, and never as bad as it seems…. We just never really get to experience the, “as good as it seems,” stuff. 

But I think, fundamentally, we have a serious problem with program building, accountability, and oversight. There just doesn’t seem to be anyone that is making sure the leg work and behind the scenes stuff is being done properly, at a championship level. It’s made us unable to build a program the right way, be ahead of the game recruiting wise, and to early-identify the right types of kids/players we need to be successful here. 

IMO - Nebrasketball teams need to be composed of freak athlete bodies who maybe lack some skill, with local kids who are smart and skilled, but maybe lack athleticism, and then you mix and match 1 or 2 guys a year from either recruitment or transfer portal that you hope are your true difference makers. 

Like, Baylor Scheierman and Chucky Hepburn should be playing basketball for Nebraska. Then you mix in some JUCO type DUDES that are athletic and will guard like dawgs. And you hope you can then get lucky with either a big from out of state/country and a guy from the transfer portal you can’t find around here (Terran Petteway, James Palmer, etc…). Nebraska should, imo, be composed of the best of the old MVC, and the best of AAC. So think old-school annoying Creighton kids who hurt you for like 7 years and you didn’t know how they had eligibility left, mixed with Bob Huggins style dawgs at Cincinnati. 

What I think I’m basically describing is the best of Doc and the best of Miles,

with a significantly better appreciation and retention of in state talent. 

Edited by basketballjones

9 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The thing that has bugged me the most over the years is the number of average players we brought in that didn't pan out or left when we could have had a Nebraska kid that would probably hang around, improve his game and be a contributor his last couple years here.

This has been, my thesis, since the Sadler years. Random ass dudes from Alabama who maybe had a grainy YouTube highlight video over some super-state kid locally. 

• 3 months later...

Shatel had a column this morning about how a new NU football booster group is forming with a focus on NIL. The group would pay players to come speak to the group. Coaches will still also speak to the groups on occasion too. $5K per person per year, and they are at 75 members already and growing. All the money goes to the players. Members can make extra donations for one-on-one time with players.

I assume NU basketball is doing something similar? If not, they should be. Donation to a group like this could be a pretty significant amount split among just 12 players. $100 K and a good job for mom and dad will look like chump change eventually.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/shatel-nil-is-a-boon-for-nebraska-football-even-if-many-old-school-fans-dont/article_89b69032-c2a6-11ec-bbe0-93d60bc12487.html

He also discusses how some fans don't like the new world of NIL. I get it, but NIL is here to stay and the NCAA is going to do nothing to police it, as they much prefer this Wild West scenario than paying players officially and introducing their own liability for injuries. So it's either take advantage and play the game, or fall by the wayside. 

He additionally mentions that the days of the huge locker rooms/practice facilities/etc are probably gone. I agree - boosters are far better off giving their money to the players as a direct way of influencing recruiting. Good thing NU has its major facilities finished or in progress, because I doubt many more facilities like this will be built in the future. Facilities will still play a role in recruiting, but NIL financial promises will be far greater.

Edited by throwback

I think the NIL rules could be what gets us to our goals in basketball.  Firstly, I will say that I like the players are finally getting a portion of what they generate but I also think this has the potential to be a total mess.  It will make some weird incentives and no organization is strong enough to regulate how it works.  I like though that some of the big dawgs are complaining about it.

That being said, Nebraska it seems is going to figure this out and figure it out well.  We will figure out the way to spend the $ needed because the potential return is so much better for us than say a Colorado or Kansas State or Northwestern for example with our fanbase.  A rocking sold out Pinnacle Bank and all the financial benefits that come with that is worth it for the investment.

Either that or we will put all our energy into the football program and let basketball stay mediocre.  

15 hours ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I think the NIL rules could be what gets us to our goals in basketball.  Firstly, I will say that I like the players are finally getting a portion of what they generate but I also think this has the potential to be a total mess.  It will make some weird incentives and no organization is strong enough to regulate how it works.  I like though that some of the big dawgs are complaining about it.

That being said, Nebraska it seems is going to figure this out and figure it out well.  We will figure out the way to spend the $ needed because the potential return is so much better for us than say a Colorado or Kansas State or Northwestern for example with our fanbase.  A rocking sold out Pinnacle Bank and all the financial benefits that come with that is worth it for the investment.

Either that or we will put all our energy into the football program and let basketball stay mediocre.  

If NIL stays the way it is it will make college sports (specifically football and basketball) as a complete waste of time. There should be a cap that football schools with more money can spend on players to allow for that have-nots in basketball to at least compete. We're in a good spot in that regard, but at that point no one will be watching haha. When programs with more cash can start simply and openly buying players it's not even college sports anymore, and people will lose interest.  

38 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

If NIL stays the way it is it will make college sports (specifically football and basketball) as a complete waste of time. There should be a cap that football schools with more money can spend on players to allow for that have-nots in basketball to at least compete. We're in a good spot in that regard, but at that point no one will be watching haha. When programs with more cash can start simply and openly buying players it's not even college sports anymore, and people will lose interest.  

What I think is funny about all of this is, ya know, people had a lot of good ideas how to implement this... but the NCAA/"Powers that be" just went, "NOPE, Wild Wild West baby!"

Like, we spent years debating this... No one came up with a good plan on how to implement it once it became a reality? 

Seems to kind of mirror American politics as a whole. Everyone's afraid to make mistakes, fail, learn and grow. So we just go "wash my hands of this," and watch it fail - blame it on someone else. 

Edited by basketballjones

On 4/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, throwback said:

Shatel had a column this morning about how a new NU football booster group is forming with a focus on NIL. The group would pay players to come speak to the group. Coaches will still also speak to the groups on occasion too. $5K per person per year, and they are at 75 members already and growing. All the money goes to the players. Members can make extra donations for one-on-one time with players.

I assume NU basketball is doing something similar? If not, they should be. Donation to a group like this could be a pretty significant amount split among just 12 players. $100 K and a good job for mom and dad will look like chump change eventually.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/shatel-nil-is-a-boon-for-nebraska-football-even-if-many-old-school-fans-dont/article_89b69032-c2a6-11ec-bbe0-93d60bc12487.html

He also discusses how some fans don't like the new world of NIL. I get it, but NIL is here to stay and the NCAA is going to do nothing to police it, as they much prefer this Wild West scenario than paying players officially and introducing their own liability for injuries. So it's either take advantage and play the game, or fall by the wayside. 

He additionally mentions that the days of the huge locker rooms/practice facilities/etc are probably gone. I agree - boosters are far better off giving their money to the players as a direct way of influencing recruiting. Good thing NU has its major facilities finished or in progress, because I doubt many more facilities like this will be built in the future. Facilities will still play a role in recruiting, but NIL financial promises will be far greater.

Better late than never but why the hell did it take this long?

On 4/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, throwback said:

Assume this replaces the Rebounders Club where most anyone could get in...so It's going exclusive..or is there still a rebounders club for the average person to belong to?  $5000 a person is way too steep for me. 

8 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Idk about you guys but I honestly feel like, with the transfers we are in on and who we have coming back/coming in, we're on the precipice of success. 

Maybe just having an optimistic day, who knows. 

I'm solidly in the "prove it on the floor before I'll believe you can do it" camp.

26 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Idk about you guys but I honestly feel like, with the transfers we are in on and who we have coming back/coming in, we're on the precipice of success. 

Maybe just having an optimistic day, who knows. 

Sorry, can't go there.   Not impressed with that lineup, in this league.  Hope the FNGs are better than I think.   

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm solidly in the "prove it on the floor before I'll believe you can do it" camp.

Maybe the last 20 years of Nebraska basketball has just been a psychological operation, meant to determine if the most completely optimistic person in a teams fan base can have his views on future success changed 180 degrees.

Or maybe the last 20 years has just been a huge waste of time.

6 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Griesel/McPherson
McGowens/Freshman guys

Scheierman/CJ

Gary/Wilhelm

Walker/Keita

That's a hell of a line-up. IMO

A couple of those guys aren’t on our team.   Many of the rest are unproven or mediocre.