Jump to content

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 18 - at Purdue


HuskerFever
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • HuskerFever changed the title to uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 18 - at Purdue

Let's compare rosters (rankings based on Sports-reference

 

Purdue

 

Ivey 2nd year 87th ranked player

Edey 2nd year

Williams 4th year

Stefanovic 4th year

Newman 3rd year 1 RS

Thompson 3rd year

Gillis 3rd year 1 RS

Fust 1st year 62nd ranked player

Morton 2nd year 82nd ranked player

 

Nebraska

Bryce 1st year 25th ranked player

Verge 1st year

Walker 3rd year Redshirt

Wilcher 1st year

Tominaga 1st year

Webster 2nd year

Mayan 2nd year

Andre 2nd year

 

We need experience in this system

 

Goals for the off season

 

Must keep at all costs players

 

Bryce

Walker

Wilhelm

Trey

 

Can go either way hope they stay to gain some experience

 

Edwards

Andre

Keisei

McPherson

Wilcher

 

Needs to go

Lat

 

We need to find a defensive system that will get stops on a consistent basis, and we need to find animals on the boards.

 

We went a time during the season where players would get benched if they took a bad shot.  We seem to be taking better shots with fewer forced shots.  The next step I'd like to see is to start benching players if they fail to box out.  The problem lies in that is harder to gauge than seeing a poor shot go up.  Defensive effort also needs to be addressed.  If you slack on defense, you see the bench.  Something's got to make these guys see the light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I have this rolling joke with my daughter where I say, "I can't even <fill in the blank>" when I get frustrated. She asked me how the game went and I said, "I can't even with this team anymore." She laughs every time. I needed to hear that laugh.

 

Good call. "I can't even feel feelings" is probably a bit too dark for kids. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Let's compare rosters (rankings based on Sports-reference

 

Purdue

 

Ivey 2nd year 87th ranked player

Edey 2nd year

Williams 4th year

Stefanovic 4th year

Newman 3rd year 1 RS

Thompson 3rd year

Gillis 3rd year 1 RS

Fust 1st year 62nd ranked player

Morton 2nd year 82nd ranked player

 

Nebraska

Bryce 1st year 25th ranked player

Verge 1st year

Walker 3rd year Redshirt

Wilcher 1st year

Tominaga 1st year

Webster 2nd year

Mayan 2nd year

Andre 2nd year

 

We need experience in this system

 

Goals for the off season

 

Must keep at all costs players

 

Bryce

Walker

Wilhelm

Trey

 

Can go either way hope they stay to gain some experience

 

Edwards

Andre

Keisei

McPherson

Wilcher

 

Needs to go

Lat

 

We need to find a defensive system that will get stops on a consistent basis, and we need to find animals on the boards.

 

We went a time during the season where players would get benched if they took a bad shot.  We seem to be taking better shots with fewer forced shots.  The next step I'd like to see is to start benching players if they fail to box out.  The problem lies in that is harder to gauge than seeing a poor shot go up.  Defensive effort also needs to be addressed.  If you slack on defense, you see the bench.  Something's got to make these guys see the light.


Sadly, I see at least 2 if not 3 of the 4 must keeps being gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Let's compare rosters (rankings based on Sports-reference

 

Purdue

 

Ivey 2nd year 87th ranked player

Edey 2nd year

Williams 4th year

Stefanovic 4th year

Newman 3rd year 1 RS

Thompson 3rd year

Gillis 3rd year 1 RS

Fust 1st year 62nd ranked player

Morton 2nd year 82nd ranked player

 

Nebraska

Bryce 1st year 25th ranked player

Verge 1st year

Walker 3rd year Redshirt

Wilcher 1st year

Tominaga 1st year

Webster 2nd year

Mayan 2nd year

Andre 2nd year

 

We need experience in this system

 

Goals for the off season

 

Must keep at all costs players

 

Bryce

Walker

Wilhelm

Trey

 

Can go either way hope they stay to gain some experience

 

Edwards

Andre

Keisei

McPherson

Wilcher

 

Needs to go

Lat

 

We need to find a defensive system that will get stops on a consistent basis, and we need to find animals on the boards.

 

We went a time during the season where players would get benched if they took a bad shot.  We seem to be taking better shots with fewer forced shots.  The next step I'd like to see is to start benching players if they fail to box out.  The problem lies in that is harder to gauge than seeing a poor shot go up.  Defensive effort also needs to be addressed.  If you slack on defense, you see the bench.  Something's got to make these guys see the light.

I heard someone mention this on the radio - -  gotta stress in practice defensive intensity, sometimes it's innate, but it can be a team identity, and needs to be essential in the program to have any success esp in this league. But the team ain't built like a big ten team, it's a smaller warriors roster space N pace. We need towers to not get murdered every night in the big ten. Long wings, I love that style,  but you need 3 solid 6-10/7ft broad shouldered beasts to compete Imo

 

Haven't had that. That'd help a ton in long term. But what bothers us this whole time as fans is the near zero effort. You can get 6 foot kids with heart and some hops OUT EFFORT the towers. Proves the point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:


Sadly, I see at least 2 if not 3 of the 4 must keeps being gone.

That's going to be the biggest problem.

 

Bryce seems to be a late 1st round early 2nd round pick.  The biggest ?, does he risk injury, and hope to become that lottery pick?  Or, does he go to the NBA, start in the G League and get paid while developing.  If Bryce goes, Trey is likely out especially with his injury this year.  Walker might call it a day after 5 years in school, and get paid good money to play overseas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

I heard someone mention this on the radio - -  gotta stress in practice defensive intensity, sometimes it's innate, but it can be a team identity, and needs to be essential in the program to have any success esp in this league. But the team ain't built like a big ten team, it's a smaller warriors roster space N pace. We need towers to not get murdered every night in the big ten. Long wings, I love that style,  but you need 3 solid 6-10/7ft broad shouldered beasts to compete Imo

 

Haven't had that. That'd help a ton in long term. But what bothers us this whole time as fans is the near zero effort. You can get 6 foot kids with heart and some hops OUT EFFORT the towers. Proves the point.

I would say we have 6 players that give all out effort a great majority of the time.  3 of them are hurt right now.  Keisei, Walker, Trey, Wilhelm, Wilcher, and Lakes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, brfrad said:

I would say we have 6 players that give all out effort a great majority of the time.  3 of them are hurt right now.  Keisei, Walker, Trey, Wilhelm, Wilcher, and Lakes.  

I would agree with that. I suppose you need full buy in,  or they slip through for easy layups? Can't hold a team that passes well that way. Makes sense. Yeah 3 guys aren't even a starting lineup if you go with a sit to punish bad defensive effort strategy... More drastic coaching methods needed? Pull a Hoosiers? You have to earn your minutes? Pull in walk ons and you earn it back with effort? Who knows. I do know if I were in that locker room I'd be real depressed too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

We need about 3 more Derrick Walkers to even think about competing in this Conference…

I think a team of 4 Derrick Walkers and any other player from the current team beat any combination of our current team 9 out of 10. With the one loss coming when the other Derrick Walker had a monster game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Let's compare rosters (rankings based on Sports-reference

 

Purdue

 

Ivey 2nd year 87th ranked player

Edey 2nd year

Williams 4th year

Stefanovic 4th year

Newman 3rd year 1 RS

Thompson 3rd year

Gillis 3rd year 1 RS

Fust 1st year 62nd ranked player

Morton 2nd year 82nd ranked player

 

Nebraska

Bryce 1st year 25th ranked player

Verge 1st year

Walker 3rd year Redshirt

Wilcher 1st year

Tominaga 1st year

Webster 2nd year

Mayan 2nd year

Andre 2nd year

 

We need experience in this system

 

Goals for the off season

 

Must keep at all costs players

 

Bryce

Walker

Wilhelm

Trey

 

Can go either way hope they stay to gain some experience

 

Edwards

Andre

Keisei

McPherson

Wilcher

 

Needs to go

Lat

 

We need to find a defensive system that will get stops on a consistent basis, and we need to find animals on the boards.

 

We went a time during the season where players would get benched if they took a bad shot.  We seem to be taking better shots with fewer forced shots.  The next step I'd like to see is to start benching players if they fail to box out.  The problem lies in that is harder to gauge than seeing a poor shot go up.  Defensive effort also needs to be addressed.  If you slack on defense, you see the bench.  Something's got to make these guys see the light.

Outside of Wilhelm those others arent staying.  I think Wilcher has played lately and Keisei will just need to be a role player 10-15 mins to be in his role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I think a team of 4 Derrick Walkers and any other player from the current team beat any combination of our current team 9 out of 10. With the one loss coming when the other Derrick Walker had a monster game.

You don’t have to be Coach Wooden to figure out we just don’t have enough Big Guys…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...