I'm serious about this.

Norm Peterson

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

That speaks more to the quality of our hires.

Dave Van Horn was lured away because he was REALLY good. Would love to have our hoops coach lured away rather than fired and never coach at this level again.

Do you have any idea what Dana Altman's record was at the juco he coached at before he was hired as an assistant at Kansas State?

In ONE year, they went from winning like half a dozen games to winning more than 20 (if memory serves me.) I mean, the turnaround was immediate. And compelling. And lo and behold ...

Finding the next Dana Altman might take a little trial and error, which is why I say you almost have to hire with an expectation the guy will probably fail and move on in 4 years. But, in the event he catches FIRE, like a Bob Devaney, you can renegotiate and pay him handsomely. Just don't saddle yourself with a huge buyout that insures you won't be able to extricate yourself from an untenable position in the event he fails catastrophically.

I was looking from the POV of a coach.  I am worried as a coach that if you can't turn it around in 4 years, we are going a different direction.  Every coach that has been fired at Nebraska has never gotten a Power 6 job.  What kind of job am I getting if I don't make this work?  How long am I spending in the mid majors waiting for my chance to get another Power 6 job?

12 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I was looking from the POV of a coach.  I am worried as a coach that if you can't turn it around in 4 years, we are going a different direction.  Every coach that has been fired at Nebraska has never gotten a Power 6 job.  What kind of job am I getting if I don't make this work?  How long am I spending in the mid majors waiting for my chance to get another Power 6 job?

How many coaches that got fired from a high major school not named Nebraska turned around and landed another high major job in, say, the last 20 years?  Right off the top of my head I honestly can't think of any.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

How many coaches that got fired from a high major school not named Nebraska turned around and landed another high major job in, say, the last 20 years?  Right off the top of my head I honestly can't think of any.

Probably doesn't happen too often. But some that come to mind: Rick Barnes, Bruce Weber, Tubby Smith, Tom Crean. Mark Gottfried (Alabama), Shaka Smart (Texas) and Cuonzo Martin (Tennessee) all would've been fired if they didn't leave first. Richard Pitino and Steve Alford got really good jobs, although not Power 5 jobs, after being fired. 

Mark Turgeon could probably get one if he wants it. 

Edited by millerhusker

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Mark Fox, Jaime Dixon, Tom Crean, Tubby Smith from Minnesota

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Mark Fox, Jaime Dixon, Tom Crean, Tubby Smith from Minnesota

I was thinking maybe Josh Pastner, but wasn't sure if he was fired from Memphis...and it's debatable whether you want to count Memphis being an AAC school and all.

Still...mighty MIGHTY rare considering the volume of coaches fired at high major schools every year.

14 hours ago, 49r said:

Dana Altman was gonna get fired at Kansas State and quit to take over Creighton.

He moved on to a Power 5 job at Oregon.

Tom Crean got fired at Indiana and he's now at Georgia. Rick Barnes was fired at Texas and wound up at Tennessee.

Just off the top of my head.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Dana Altman was gonna get fired at Kansas State and quit to take over Creighton.

He moved on to a Power 5 job at Oregon.

Tom Crean got fired at Indiana and he's now at Georgia. Rick Barnes was fired at Texas and wound up at Tennessee.

Just off the top of my head.

Obviously McDermott also.  Struggling mightily at Iowa State.   My memory wasn't "officially fired", but he got out of Dodge and nothing but good things have happened since.  Unfortunately.   

1 hour ago, HB said:

Obviously McDermott also.  Struggling mightily at Iowa State.   My memory wasn't "officially fired", but he got out of Dodge and nothing but good things have happened since.  Unfortunately.   

McDermott has won at all his stops along the way except Iowa State.  If I remember right he had some bad luck with injuries to his big men and lost Wes Johnson when he transferred to Syracuse. (long before the transfer portal) He was named player of the year in the Big East that season.