Nebraska (6-11) vs Purdue (13-2) game thread

cipsucks

8 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

I love the multiple times per game that Derrick Walker pins and boxes the fuck out of his guy on a free throw miss - and Lat’s finesse effort allows an offensive rebound after ball hits the ground twice. 

Also love it when Lat takes it up at 6-7/6-8 and finesse finger rolls it like a princess. 

least favorite player in program history. 

I don’t understand how Lat keeps earning minutes. I really don’t.

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Every other available player we have on the roster is a worse option at the 4. Same problem I had with my RB2 in fantasy this year.

Ideally Wilhelm would've been taking the minutes at the 4 if he didn't go down. Him going down forced the hand of playing Lat. Wilhelm at least kept the ball moving and was active defensively despite his limitations right now. 

3 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Ideally Wilhelm would've been taking the minutes at the 4 if he didn't go down. Him going down forced the hand of playing Lat. Wilhelm at least kept the ball moving and was active defensively despite his limitations right now. 

Based on everything I heard during the off-season, this should've been our last problem.

I specifically remember FH talking about how hard it's going to be to pick a rotation, because our depth chart was so great and could fill in anywhere.

5 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Maybe Willhelm would have progressed quickly but it's not like he was a huge upgrade over Lat, especially offensively.

Lat being just being serviceable on defense was sort of the deal with him. Him being a 3pt shooter who can't hit 3s is the problem.

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Every other available player we have on the roster is a worse option at the 4. Same problem I had with my RB2 in fantasy this year.

While this is very likely true, it shouldn't mean that the coaches just throw up their hands, shrug their shoulders and say this is all we can do.  Try something, anything.  Play without a 4, play small with two 1's (i.e Verge and Webster) or play big with two 5's.  I don't understand why we really haven't experimented much with the starting lineup since we pulled Keon out.  This likely sorts itself out when Trey comes back.

6 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

While this is very likely true, it shouldn't mean that the coaches just throw up their hands, shrug their shoulders and say this is all we can do.  Try something, anything.  Play without a 4, play small with two 1's (i.e Verge and Webster) or play big with two 5's.  I don't understand why we really haven't experimented much with the starting lineup since we pulled Keon out.  This likely sorts itself out when Trey comes back.

I ask because I honestly have no idea: how did we look during the 9 minutes Lat wasn't out there tonight?

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Maybe Willhelm would have progressed quickly but it's not like he was a huge upgrade over Lat, especially offensively.

Lat being just being serviceable on defense was sort of the deal with him. Him being a 3pt shooter who can't hit 3s is the problem.

I see it as an upgrade in a guy who can actually put the ball on the floor  and showed a bit of skill. Plus, he kept the ball moving, which we've seen as of late has been an lacking. 

I see your premise though.

Edited by thrasher31

4 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I see it as an upgrade in a guy who can actually put the ball on the floor  and showed a bit of skill. Plus, he kept the ball moving, which we've seen as of late has been an lacking. 

I see your premise though.

One of these deals where it would have been nice to play the hot hand

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

I ask because I honestly have no idea: how did we look during the 9 minutes Lat wasn't out there tonight?

Ha, fair enough.  It's ok to want and demand change for the sake of change.  For me, we have hit the definition of insanity with Lat.  It feels like our Coaching staff is being needlessly stubborn with Lat and his playing time.  Almost to the point where they hear all of the outside noise and they are just going to stick with him to prove to everyone else they are right about their assessment of Lat.  Anyways, there is no guarantee starting Kobe or CJ or Andre or Trey or anyone else over Lat will change the outcome.  But why not experiment and try?  It's not like what we are doing is working.

Lincoln is not big enough for both Matt A and FH.

Either Matt A has no idea to assess talent/players that work well together OR Fred Hoiberg just completely botched a well crafted and talented team and we should cut our losses now.

Grim assessment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pros and cons of each player

Verge

Pros:  Can get to the rim and score.  Also, when he's engaged can run the offense and distribute the ball.

Cons : Lazy on defense.  Will pout when he thinks he's fouled.  Not always engaged.  Tries to do too much when the going gets tough.

Bryce

Pros:  one of the best players in the conference getting to the rim.  One of the best wings in conference on getting to the foul line

Cons:  Really lazy on defense.  Plays straight up and down allowing his man to blow by him.  Shot selection.  (this has gotten better since the tough love game against Kennesaw State)

Walker

Pros:  Gives great effort on the defensive end.  Deserves a Purple Heart for the battles he goes through against the top big men in the country.  Really good on offense around the basket.

Cons:  Honestly, the only one is something he can't change.  His lack of size.

Keisei

Pros:  Great shooter.  Brings energy to the team

Cons:  Not very athletic.  Shot selection.  Size.  

Lat

Pros:  Honestly can't think of one

Cons:  Everything.  I really don't want to bag on a player, but it's rough watching him play.

Kobe

Pros:  Settles team down.  Good looking shot.  Distributes the ball

Cons:  Turnover prone.  Shot selection.  Decision making at times can be bad.

Wilcher

Pros:  Good shooter.  Good effort

Cons:  Not athletic enough.  Streaky shooter at times.

Andre

Pros:  Decent effort.  Good size.

Cons:  Hands are awful.  Foul prone.  While he has good size, not strong enough to battle the Big 10 bigs

Lakes

Pros:  Good shooter

Cons:  Not athletic at all

Trey

Pros:  Best on ball defender.  Can get to the rim.

Cons:  Poor shooter.  Not great ball handler.

Wilhelm

Pros:  Effort.  Size.

Cons: Foul prone.  Shot selection.

Edited by brfrad