Jump to content

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 17 - vs. Illinois


Recommended Posts

On 1/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

I hate that Nebraska Basketball and Football have been reduced to discussing if we tried hard that particular game. What a sad sports existence. Not even winning or losing, just "Did our players actually look interested in playing today". 

Every time some one puts up one of these stupid football vs basketball comparisons I'm going to slap it down because they are not the same. To say that our football players did not, "...actually look interested in playing today" is a damn lie. Full stop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Every time some one puts up one of these stupid football vs basketball comparisons I'm going to slap it down because they are not the same. To say that our football players did not, "...actually look interested in playing today" is a damn lie. Full stop.

I never said they didn't, just that with the amount of losing, effort is the go-to discussion point after games. Feel free to ignore what ever you want on this board, because that comparison will keep popping up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t see how adding Trey back makes this team better. We’re an extremely inefficient team and Trey is an inefficient guard. But beyond that, the whole culture surrounding Husker hoops has to be the worst I’ve seen and I don’t think Trey fixes that. I don’t know if his intensity comes from a selfless place. He celebrated like we literally won the national championship after a dunk while losing to Western freaking Illinois rather than getting back on defense. Went on to lose the game but Trey proudly posted the dunk all over Twitter and talked about it fondly on the podcast. I don’t mean to pick on Trey, because it’s obviously not just him. The coaches should be embarrassed how Bryce decided to stare down the Illinois players and flex his muscles after a meaningless dunk with 40 seconds left in the game. These are just two examples (of many) but tells me all I need to know about this team. We’ll never win close games because the players do not care about winning. I’m sure they think they do, but they truly don’t care. Derrick Walker appears to be the only one who does. 
 

Usually bottom feeders are scrappy and lovable. Our players whine and complain about every. single. call. that doesn’t go their way like they’re NBA superstars. It’s all just embarrassing. This has to be the most unlikeable team in history. 

You could be right about Trey if his return will truly have any impact. I do question whether he is an actual leader on this team. Since he's been able to move around with his boot on I haven't really seen him all that involved in encouraging his team mates or in huddles, timeouts, etc. His, I'm back dunk video seems more like a me thing rather than I'm going to do my part to turn this thing around. You are definitely correct about Bryce. He stared down Illini players after both dunks instead of getting back on defense. I think there are several players who care about winning, unfortunately not some of those who don't play key roles for this team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I never said they didn't, just that with the amount of losing, effort is the go-to discussion point after games. Feel free to ignore what ever you want on this board, because that comparison will keep popping up. 

You actually did say it.

"Did our players actually look interested in playing today". You were talking about both football and basketball. 

I'm not going to ignore those those emotional and wrong comparisons, but thanks for the suggestion though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

You actually did say it.

"Did our players actually look interested in playing today"You were talking about both football and basketball. 

I'm not going to ignore those those emotional and wrong comparisons, but thanks for the suggestion though.

In football's case they did. What am I missing here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t see how adding Trey back makes this team better. We’re an extremely inefficient team and Trey is an inefficient guard. But beyond that, the whole culture surrounding Husker hoops has to be the worst I’ve seen and I don’t think Trey fixes that. I don’t know if his intensity comes from a selfless place. He celebrated like we literally won the national championship after a dunk while losing to Western freaking Illinois rather than getting back on defense. Went on to lose the game but Trey proudly posted the dunk all over Twitter and talked about it fondly on the podcast. I don’t mean to pick on Trey, because it’s obviously not just him. The coaches should be embarrassed how Bryce decided to stare down the Illinois players and flex his muscles after a meaningless dunk with 40 seconds left in the game. These are just two examples (of many) but tells me all I need to know about this team. We’ll never win close games because the players do not care about winning. I’m sure they think they do, but they truly don’t care. Derrick Walker appears to be the only one who does. 
 

Usually bottom feeders are scrappy and lovable. Our players whine and complain about every. single. call. that doesn’t go their way like they’re NBA superstars. It’s all just embarrassing. This has to be the most unlikeable team in history. 

 

A lot to agree with here unfortunately. 

Assuming that he's back at 90% or better maybe in a few games it's as easy as he is the one guy that cover the hot guard.

 

To me it's about what minutes does Trey replace. If we can replace enough empty minutes in the first 30-35 minutes of the game can we build enough of a lead that our lack of culture and poise can't blow?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, millerhusker said:

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t see how adding Trey back makes this team better. We’re an extremely inefficient team and Trey is an inefficient guard. But beyond that, the whole culture surrounding Husker hoops has to be the worst I’ve seen and I don’t think Trey fixes that. I don’t know if his intensity comes from a selfless place. He celebrated like we literally won the national championship after a dunk while losing to Western freaking Illinois rather than getting back on defense. Went on to lose the game but Trey proudly posted the dunk all over Twitter and talked about it fondly on the podcast. I don’t mean to pick on Trey, because it’s obviously not just him. The coaches should be embarrassed how Bryce decided to stare down the Illinois players and flex his muscles after a meaningless dunk with 40 seconds left in the game. These are just two examples (of many) but tells me all I need to know about this team. We’ll never win close games because the players do not care about winning. I’m sure they think they do, but they truly don’t care. Derrick Walker appears to be the only one who does. 
 

Usually bottom feeders are scrappy and lovable. Our players whine and complain about every. single. call. that doesn’t go their way like they’re NBA superstars. It’s all just embarrassing. This has to be the most unlikeable team in history. 

 

I'm afraid to like this post. I wanna like it but I also wanna not like it. Sad truth is I've been thinking some of the same things.

 

I don't know how getting Trey back really helps in the areas where we're hurting. Is he going to rebound the hell out of the basketball? Is he going to light it up from beyond the arc?

 

I'm not sure I agree that Derrick Walker is the only one who appears to care. I think Keisei cares. I think Verge actually cares, but his approach to how to close the gap at the end of close games involves the delusional belief that he can break his defender down off the dribble and readily get inside and score. Alonzo Verge basically abandoned what was working for the first 35 minutes against Illinois to go all hero ball the last 5 minutes when the game slipped away. And I don't think that's because he doesn't care.

 

I think Kobe Webster cares. A lot. A hell of a lot. I think he wants to win more than he wants individual stats. But he lacks some of the individual play-making ability that gets Verge on the floor.

 

But, yeah, this whole "look at me I got a meaningless dunk at the end of a loss" stuff has gotta go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

 

A lot to agree with here unfortunately. 

Assuming that he's back at 90% or better maybe in a few games it's as easy as he is the one guy that cover the hot guard.

 

To me it's about what minutes does Trey replace. If we can replace enough empty minutes in the first 30-35 minutes of the game can we build enough of a lead that our lack of culture and poise can't blow?

 

He 100% would've been guarding Frazier down the stretch, and that could've made a big difference. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

 

 

To me it's about what minutes does Trey replace. If we can replace enough empty minutes in the first 30-35 minutes of the game can we build enough of a lead that our lack of culture and poise can't blow?

 

My thought as well. He takes 30 minutes a game away from somebody who is a worse. If nothing else, guys are going to have to do something positive to hold onto their current minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

In football's case they did. What am I missing here?

Well since you lumped them in with basketball, the logical answer to that statement is no. 

You are the one that brought it into the conversion. It's not my problem if you didn't clearly delineate that they where on opposite sides of the spectrum. I go back to, why bring football into that statement to begin with. Just talking about the basketball team not looking interested could stand on its own. It didn't need a comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...