What we thinking

TourneyBound

What we thinking?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Hoiberg?

• Bring him back and give him another year.
    • Fire him or try and convince him to step down
    • Undecided at this time

3 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I mean, financially, we're stuck. By any reasonable metric, this is a coaching tenure that probably ought to end this season, but we can't make it happen because someone who's no longer even here committed us to a deal we haven't the financial wherewithal to get ourselves out of. Just effing stuck. Effing effing stuck.

So, we have no choice but to sit here and eat this shit sandwich and bide our time until the buyout diminishes enough that we can scrape together enough nickels to be done with it.

I'm not even sure we can afford to fire him after next year, even if things continue to go this way. Hoiberg could be like 10-70 in the B1G and we would have to bring him back for year 5.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:54 PM, Blackshirt83 said:

To me this is different from every other coach decision in the last 20 years for Nebraska Basketball.

There's no dispute that record wise he deserves to be fired. But he just signed arguably (absolutely as far as optics is concerned) the best class in forever. 

So unlike basically every coach in this position we have seen here in forever,  there's a legitimate and very seeable chance that they can recruit their way out of this roster and fix the issues that are in this locker room. I see no reason to make a move until that is no longer the case.  

Basically I think we have a better chance of Fred getting lucky and hitting on a recruit or two that can totally flip the game than we are by going out and hiring yet another no impact coach who then has to recruit an entire new team anyway. One that will almost surely be worse than the one who will be coming in next season under Hoiberg.

Now if next season comes out in a similar fashion and he once again shows no ability to coach the team, getting them to shoot and score efficiently, care about playing defense or working as a team? Then you move on. A less talented team who actually cares is at least worth investigating time and money into. Unlike these guys. 

This is a very good point. I really am torn as I'd like to give him 4yrs. Also, a small piece of my believes that we can have a late season surge and somewhat salvage this season. At this point I'm open to any glimmer of hope. I loath starting over again. I honestly don't know if I have the energy to wait out bringing in a new coach and having to hope that in 2-3yrs we'll end up being competitive. This is exhausting.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Can we all agree that the Matt Abdelmassih experiment has been a failure?

I was openly skeptical of having a dedicated recruiter on the coaching staff who really has no coaching responsibilities. I mean, theoretically, you could make it work. But I've gone into more detail than I care to try to recreate about how the pieces he's assembled haven't worked well together. Just look up my post from a year ago where I described how each of our players was basically inept at some important skill pertinent to their position.

Yeah, we have some guys with some recruiting service stars on their resume. But, do we have ... talent?

Whatever the case, there's clearly a disconnect between the roster that's been assembled and the product on the floor. Either we're not getting enough of the right kinds of players for this system or we're not getting the coaching that translates that talent into wins. Or both.

I think the question is whether Fred will continue to protect his buddy or whether he'll make the tough call that I think has to be made to move this program forward.

That was my choice as well. I'm OK with Doc staying if he want's have a confidant, but everyone else should be gone.

I've also mentioned that I'm not happy with S&C and Operations. Restructure, with lower buyout and incentives (i.e. finishing in top half of big, winning games in conference tournament, making NCAA and winning games there. 

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Can we all agree that the Matt Abdelmassih experiment has been a failure?

I was openly skeptical of having a dedicated recruiter on the coaching staff who really has no coaching responsibilities. I mean, theoretically, you could make it work. But I've gone into more detail than I care to try to recreate about how the pieces he's assembled haven't worked well together. Just look up my post from a year ago where I described how each of our players was basically inept at some important skill pertinent to their position.

Yeah, we have some guys with some recruiting service stars on their resume. But, do we have ... talent?

Whatever the case, there's clearly a disconnect between the roster that's been assembled and the product on the floor. Either we're not getting enough of the right kinds of players for this system or we're not getting the coaching that translates that talent into wins. Or both.

I think the question is whether Fred will continue to protect his buddy or whether he'll make the tough call that I think has to be made to move this program forward.

He's nailed on players, but it's like fitting a peg into a square hole. 

I am expecting him to be let go, loesner just got here and seems to have energy and Armon is in a similar boat. Those two I don't THINK go, but I wouldn't be shocked if Armon does since he's been here for a while. 

Let me get this straight, Moos gives a coach a 1 year extension to a coach, who really wanted 2 years, after setting a school record for conference wins in a season.  Moos gives the other coach a 1 year extension on a 6 year contract after going 7 - 25 in his first season.  This season included a 19 point loss to UC Riverside, and losses to Southern Utah and North Dakota.  

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

After finding out that Moos secretly extended Hoiberg and now his buyout is $18.5 million, I'm struggling to come up with an analogy that captures what I'm feeling.

I shorted game stop and now I'm stuck waiting for the price to go down so I can get out of it at a loss and there's absolutely not a frickin' thing I can do about it? Naw, that ain't it.

An abusive relationship? No, I won't go there.

I decided to go on a cruise and we hit bad weather and we're at least a week until our next stop, I have the worst seasickness imaginable, and I absolutely cannot do anything about it but ride it out? OK, maybe if the cruise was another year instead of another week.

I mean, financially, we're stuck. By any reasonable metric, this is a coaching tenure that probably ought to end this season, but we can't make it happen because someone who's no longer even here committed us to a deal we haven't the financial wherewithal to get ourselves out of. Just effing stuck. Effing effing stuck.

So, we have no choice but to sit here and eat this shit sandwich and bide our time until the buyout diminishes enough that we can scrape together enough nickels to be done with it.

Might I suggest that the NEXT time we hire a coach, we do the following:

• Don't go all-in with an expensive name;
  • Find an up-and-comer with the EXPECTATION that we'll have to fire him in 4 years;
  • Don't pay him Sweet 16-level compensation unless he wins a Sweet 16;
  • Minimal buyout;
  • Pay him $650,000/year with ENORMOUS incentives:
    • make the NIT? You just earned an extra $300K
    • reach the NCAA? That's a cool million
    • WIN an NCAA game? That's another million
    • CONSECUTIVE NCAA appearances? Add $250K
    • Sweet 16 appearance? Another million
  • After 4 years, if the MFr hasn't earned any bonuses, his buyout is WAIVED

Then, bring in the next guy. Wash, rinse, repeat. Don't saddle yourself with a $20 million buyout for a guy who is producing the fewest wins in a 3-year stretch of any coach in the modern history of the program. We're better off swapping out coaches every few years until we find that guy who actually catches fire. And then, once he does, THEN pay the guy a King's ransom.

He, that there's the analogy. They've kidnapped the MFing King. And we have no choice but to pay the ransom.

Alright, another bad analogy.

OK, so then recruiting. I'm really not excited about 5-star NBA, one-and-done talent. I want quality kids who will work hard and represent for a good 3 years. I don't want a 5th year senior transfer running point. I want a kid who's been with the program for 3 seasons running point.

I'd rather have 5 guys in the top 75-150 range who will be here for the long haul and have very limited NIL brand appeal. Not that we won't swing deals for our players, but I'd rather have a kid who's more concerned about his team winning than his brand winning. And I suspect you get there more with some 3- and 4-star kids who'll stay for 3-4 years than with a 5-star prima donna (as opposed to a pre-Madonna) who's here to bank one year before getting paid in the NBA. Now that I see what that's all about, I think I'll pass on the next one.

So let's use the money we saved on paying a big-name coach to get our boosters behind the recruits our up-and-comer coach targeted and bring in THOSE guys. At this point, with NIL being what it is, the money we save on coaching salaries can almost directly go into player acquisition. Find an up-and-comer coach who can actually coach, and that would be money well spent.

Done.

I get where you're coming from, but the reality is any coach that you would actually want to hire (i.e. a coach that others would want too) would never accept a deal like that.  Someone else would offer guaranteed money and they would go there.  Otherwise, the incentives would have to be *ridiculously high* in order for them to pass up the guaranteed money (I'm talking orders of magnitude more than the numbers you threw out). 

The market for B1G coaches is $2 million+ guaranteed and competent, qualified coaches aren't going to accept less. Unfortunately, Moos signed a bad deal and we have to live with it, but that won't make the next coach take less than their market value. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Haha this isn't aimed at anyone but I think it's hilarious when there's a poll and people vote undecided. 

I was "undecided at this time," which to me meant see how the rest of the season goes. I won't be undecided at the end of the year, and maybe not the end of this month.

• 4 weeks later...