What we thinking

TourneyBound

What we thinking?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Hoiberg?

• Bring him back and give him another year.
    • Fire him or try and convince him to step down
    • Undecided at this time

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Miles' first year: $1.4M

Hoiberg's first year: $3.57M

Let's go back to 2019 one more time just so we have some context from that time:

• This salary was higher than all but 10 coaches, nationwide, and only 2 coaches in the Big Ten had a higher salary
  • Hoiberg was getting paid more than Archie Miller and Shaka Smart
  • The Big Ten average was $2.7M
  • Nebraska basketball and football combined coaching salaries was $8.57M
  • The only coaches making more than Hoiberg at the time we're: Calipari, Krzyzewski, Izzo, Bennett, Self, Mack, Williams, Wright, Huggins, and Beilein

The bigger the pay, the higher the expectations. It's one thing if Hoiberg was getting paid $800K. It's another to be paid (at the time) as the 11th highest paying coach and you're in Year 3 with an NET ranking of #219 out of 358. Meanwhile there's a guy making $700K at a school in San Jose sitting at #226 in the NET.

At some point, you need to decide what kind of athletic department you want to run. Fortunately, Nebraska has a budget to work with. But at some point after many failures, we might not have that same luxury of trial by failure.

You guys need to let the Miles comparisons go. He had his chances here and he's gone.  He had 7 years and hit his ceiling.  He's not coming back.  Its revisionist history now and comparing the 2 is pointless.  Just cause this team is historically bad right now, which says alot, doesnt mean the previous guy was worth keeping.

Edited by coughunter

5 minutes ago, coughunter said:

You guys need to let the Miles comparisons go. He had his chances here and he's gone.  He had 7 years and hit his ceiling.  He's not coming back.  Its revisionist history now and comparing the 2 is pointless.  Just cause this team is historically bad right now, which says alot, doesnt mean the previous guy was worth keeping.

Sure. But the point had nothing to do with Miles. I could care less.

Coach A: $3.57M

Coach B: $1.4M

We've ramped up our coaching budget more than 2.5x and performing at a level Norm could perform at. That is all.

12 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Why can’t we compare with Miles?  Everyone knows he isn’t coming back.  Everyone knows the Hoiberg hire was the right thing to do at the time.  Haven’t seen anyone try and contradict those two statements.  But I think comparing current and past coaches is fair and it’s a practice that’s as old as time itself.  

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Sure. But the point had nothing to do with Miles. I could care less.

Coach A: $3.57M

Coach B: $1.4M

We've ramped up our coaching budget more than 2.5x and performing at a level Norm could perform at. That is all.

But you did mention him by name twice.  The expectaions should be higher not only by the $ figure, but the person you are paying that amount to, has shown success at a certain level to gain that pay.  

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Why can’t we compare with Miles?  Everyone knows he isn’t coming back.  Everyone knows the Hoiberg hire was the right thing to do at the time.  Haven’t seen anyone try and99 contradict those two statements.  But I think comparing current and past coaches is fair and it’s a practice that’s as old as time itself.  

Just sayin everywhere you read on social media says they should of never fired the guy. Why even the need to include him and keep him relevant?

34 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Did Miles run over your dog or something?

24 minutes ago, coughunter said:

But you did mention him by name twice.  The expectaions should be higher not only by the $ figure, but the person you are paying that amount to, has shown success at a certain level to gain that pay.  

He was only mentioned once in this thread. But somebody did ask how we've performed in conference games in another thread so I pulled some stats and mentioned Bush, Cipriano, Iba, Nee, Collier, Sadler, Miles, and Hoiberg. Is that not allowed?

16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

He was only mentioned once in this thread. But somebody did ask how we've performed in conference games in another thread so I pulled some stats and mentioned Bush, Cipriano, Iba, Nee, Collier, Sadler, Miles, and Hoiberg. Is that not allowed?

I dont know, ask Norm

6 hours ago, Donkey said:

From what I have been told, Hoiberg may be ready to retire.  I can easily see it being a mutual decision.  Who would take over is a complete unknown; however, I would love to see LaVall Jordan as the coach.  He has BIG experience as an assistant and has 5 seasons in the Big East.

image.png

To me this is different from every other coach decision in the last 20 years for Nebraska Basketball.

There's no dispute that record wise he deserves to be fired. But he just signed arguably (absolutely as far as optics is concerned) the best class in forever. 

So unlike basically every coach in this position we have seen here in forever,  there's a legitimate and very seeable chance that they can recruit their way out of this roster and fix the issues that are in this locker room. I see no reason to make a move until that is no longer the case.  

Basically I think we have a better chance of Fred getting lucky and hitting on a recruit or two that can totally flip the game than we are by going out and hiring yet another no impact coach who then has to recruit an entire new team anyway. One that will almost surely be worse than the one who will be coming in next season under Hoiberg.

Now if next season comes out in a similar fashion and he once again shows no ability to coach the team, getting them to shoot and score efficiently, care about playing defense or working as a team? Then you move on. A less talented team who actually cares is at least worth investing time and money into. Unlike these guys. 

Edited by Blackshirt83

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Fred is the only Nebraska coach who has ever had NCAA success (tournament wins) while coaching in a power 5 conference.   In fact, he may the only coach in NU history that won a NCAA tourney game (is this right?), including before, during or after coaching at NU.  My memory may be off,  but I am pretty sure that neither Doc nor Collier ever won a single NCAA tourney game while coaching UTEP and Butler (both non power 5 schools BTW).   Hoiberg coached at ISU for 5 seasons and went to the NCAA tourney 4 straight years, winning 4 NCAA tourney games (tied all time for most by ISU coaches).  From Huskers.com:

Hoiberg led a resurgence at his alma mater, leaving a lasting legacy in five seasons. He guided Iowa State to a 115-56 record – including a 99-40 mark in his final four seasons – to post the top winning percentage (.673) in Cyclone history. Hoiberg led Iowa State to a program-record four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, while tying the school record with four NCAA Tournament coaching victories. Hoiberg also posted the top conference winning percentage (.557) in ISU history and guided Iowa State to back-to-back Big 12 Tournament titles in 2014 and 2015.   His 115 wins were the most by any coach in a five-year span in Iowa State history. 

After a 16-16 debut season, Hoiberg led the Cyclones to a 23-11 record and the third round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. ISU went 12-6 in Big 12 play in Hoiberg’s second season, winning nine more conference games than the previous season to post the biggest one-year turnaround in Big 12 history. Hoiberg was named the Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year for his efforts.

Hoiberg guided the Cyclones to another 23-win season in his third year, when Iowa State advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year. In his fourth season, the Cyclones finished 28-8, won the 2014 Big 12 Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16. In Hoiberg’s final season, Iowa State defended its Big 12 Tournament title and earned a No. 3 seed for the NCAA Tournament.

I have been going to games for 45 years and yes, these past 3 years have been rough.  And this year has been brutal.  But get a grip!  I said this when Fred was hired and I will keep saying it--If Fred can't get it done here, NOBODY can!  At least nobody that would ever be stupid enough to come coach at this moribund coach-killer program. 

I said in February of last year that Fred needed to bring in some additional "recruiters" as assistant coaches.  I said this because I did not believe the players he was bringing in for this season were of sufficient quality to win in the B1G.  I took a ton of crap for it at the time, but it was clear to me then and now it is clear that Fred has been too reliant on Matt A. for all the recruiting.  Fred needs to become more personally involved in the scouting and evaluation of recruits, and he needs to get in one or two more ace recruiters to supplement the recruiting efforts. 

Fred should have 5 years minimum.  And I personally would give him 7 years minimum.  Call me crazy.  But even with as bad as things are now, I will roll the dice with Fred at the helm over any unknown coach that would follow him.  No proven coach is going to come here, especially not after a very well respected coach like Fred gets fired after just 3 years.

11 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Fred is the only Nebraska coach who has ever had NCAA success (tournament wins) while coaching in a power 5 conference.   In fact, he may the only coach in NU history that won a NCAA tourney game (is this right?), including before, during or after coaching at NU.  My memory may be off,  but I am pretty sure that neither Doc nor Collier ever won a single NCAA tourney game while coaching UTEP and Butler (both non power 5 schools BTW).   Hoiberg coached at ISU for 5 seasons and went to the NCAA tourney 4 straight years, winning 4 NCAA tourney games (tied all time for most by ISU coaches).  From Huskers.com:

Hoiberg led a resurgence at his alma mater, leaving a lasting legacy in five seasons. He guided Iowa State to a 115-56 record – including a 99-40 mark in his final four seasons – to post the top winning percentage (.673) in Cyclone history. Hoiberg led Iowa State to a program-record four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, while tying the school record with four NCAA Tournament coaching victories. Hoiberg also posted the top conference winning percentage (.557) in ISU history and guided Iowa State to back-to-back Big 12 Tournament titles in 2014 and 2015.   His 115 wins were the most by any coach in a five-year span in Iowa State history. 

After a 16-16 debut season, Hoiberg led the Cyclones to a 23-11 record and the third round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament. ISU went 12-6 in Big 12 play in Hoiberg’s second season, winning nine more conference games than the previous season to post the biggest one-year turnaround in Big 12 history. Hoiberg was named the Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year for his efforts.

Hoiberg guided the Cyclones to another 23-win season in his third year, when Iowa State advanced to the third round of the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year. In his fourth season, the Cyclones finished 28-8, won the 2014 Big 12 Tournament and advanced to the Sweet 16. In Hoiberg’s final season, Iowa State defended its Big 12 Tournament title and earned a No. 3 seed for the NCAA Tournament.

I have been going to games for 45 years and yes, these past 3 years have been rough.  And this year has been brutal.  But get a grip!  I said this when Fred was hired and I will keep saying it--If Fred can't get it done here, NOBODY can!  At least nobody that would ever be stupid enough to come coach at this moribund coach-killer program. 

I said in February of last year that Fred needed to bring in some additional "recruiters" as assistant coaches.  I said this because I did not believe the players he was bringing in for this season were of sufficient quality to win in the B1G.  I took a ton of crap for it at the time, but it was clear to me then and now it is clear that Fred has been too reliant on Matt A. for all the recruiting.  Fred needs to become more personally involved in the scouting and evaluation of recruits, and he needs to get in one or two more ace recruiters to supplement the recruiting efforts. 

Fred should have 5 years minimum.  And I personally would give him 7 years minimum.  Call me crazy.  But even with as bad as things are now, I will roll the dice with Fred at the helm over any unknown coach that would follow him.  No proven coach is going to come here, especially not after a very well respected coach like Fred gets fired after just 3 years.

You cant keep giving a coach more years when he is the worst in program history and there is no promise.  The team has shown flashes of quitting this year.  If he losses the team and losses get worse, hard sell to bring him back.

I think we have all noted a lack of passion in Fred's sideline demeanor and attributed it to his laid-back personality. When I read about the 18.5 million buy-out clause, I was reminded of a saying made by on old Pittsburg Steeler player which went " It is hard to play (coach) hungry when you are walking around with a ham slung over your shoulder".

20 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I said this when Fred was hired and I will keep saying it--If Fred can't get it done here, NOBODY can!  At least nobody that would ever be stupid enough to come coach at this moribund coach-killer program. "

This thinking right here is garbage and a defeatist attitude and not a reason to keep someone. There will always be someone that will come here with the $, resources, fan support.  If those things didnt exist, we wouldnt have got Fred.  Any competitor would love to get a chance to make history, a very simple task, at NE.