Nebraska (6-10) vs. Illinois (11-3) game thread

cipsucks

Great Effort :Cheer2::Cheer2:

Still No Cigarindex.phpLast 5 minutes we get a case of the STUPIDS! :Redface: Poor possession, you can see it as it develops; dribbles, dribbles, dribbles, gets a case of tunnel vision and takes a hail-mary, and Misses.

Final Stats:

image.png

Edited by Red Don

Why did we have Verge in the game down the stretch?  Cockburn goes out with 4 fouls and 3:57 to go.  Bryce makes 2 free throws to tie the game.  After that, force Frazier to miss a shot, their little used player gets 3 offensive rebounds and finally tips it in.  Bryce gets his shot blocked.  Ally-oop by Illinois.  Verge turns the ball over.  Illinois drains a 3.  Verge makes 2 free throws.  Illinois misses a shot, but gets a foul called on Lat on the rebound.  Makes both free throws.  Verge misses a shot, Illinois drains a 3 with a minute to go.  We go from 65 - 65 tie to trailing 77 - 67 in the matter of 3 minutes.  Then, Verge decides to dribble for 20 seconds down 10 with a minute to go.  

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Brad just said... and I quote... "they're going to beat a lot of people" in reference to us.  Either he's got an ability to see the future and we're going to get into a team bar fight... or... he's crazy.

It doesn't get any easier... no matter who you play in this league. 

This team is a different team at home.  I could definitely see us beat teams at home.  Before I started drinking the kool-aid, I would have been ecstatic with 2 wins to this point in conference.  The 2 most disappointing games were the Michigan game and the Rutgers games.  I felt the effort in those games were beyond awful.  Again, we bring this effort, we'll have more chances to win.

Verge needs to come off the bench and play a max of 20 minutes.  I don't know who the official scorer is, but he must be very generous to give him 9 assists tonight.

7 minutes ago, brfrad said:

This team is a different team at home.  I could definitely see us beat teams at home.  Before I started drinking the kool-aid, I would have been ecstatic with 2 wins to this point in conference.  The 2 most disappointing games were the Michigan game and the Rutgers games.  I felt the effort in those games were beyond awful.  Again, we bring this effort, we'll have more chances to win.

Verge needs to come off the bench and play a max of 20 minutes.  I don't know who the official scorer is, but he must be very generous to give him 9 assists tonight.

I could see it… but there comes a point where we’re going to crack.  When that point is… I don’t know.  But you can’t keep losing… and losing the at we’re losing (by being in it until the very end) and think our effort can keep up like this.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I could see it… but there comes a point where we’re going to crack.  When that point is… I don’t know.  But you can’t keep losing… and losing the at we’re losing (by being in it until the very end) and think our effort can keep up like this.

You could say the same thing last year.  We started 1 - 14 in conference.  We finished 2 - 2 with 1 point loss to NW.  We need a win in the worst way.  We played Indiana tough on the road.  We just need to find a way to beat them at home.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

You could say the same thing last year.  We started 1 - 14 in conference.  We finished 2 - 2 with 1 point loss to NW.  We need a win in the worst way.  We played Indiana tough on the road.  We just need to find a way to beat them at home.

I really hope so.  For the team, Fred, the fans.  Everyone.  We need a win.  Losing is contagious… but so is winning.  So get one and go from there.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Coming into the year.... I thought Bryce would me more efficient than he actually is.  Sure he scores 15 a game or whatever... but it took him 15 shots to get to 19 tonight... and he only made 6.

Tonight was typical, couple of plays to wow the NBA scouts (if they still come to our games) but not doing much to win the game. He's averaging an incredible 33.5 minutes a game while shooting 39% from the field and 25% on 3s. He has more turnovers than assists and has only 13 steals on the year, fewer than Wilcher who gets fewer minutes and is generally regarded as one of our worst defenders.

I'm not making this into a personal thing, he seems like a nice kid. But why in the #$&# does he get so many minutes? This is one of my biggest gripes with Fred, he's done a horrible job of making use of Bryce's talent. He just hands him the ball and lets him do what he wants and only takes him out when he gets gassed from taking so many step back 3s. All our former NBA coach should have to say is, "Bryce, I'm going to coach you like an NBA player, and you wouldn't get on the floor in an NBA game if you didn't (fill in the blank)."