IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Husker Ladies play hard, and with heart and enthusiasm. After trailing almost all of the game they took the lead in the 4th. If it weren't for the shooting differential we out played them in almost EVERY other category (and don't forget the horrible officiating that gave Iowa (& Clark) virtually every call). Some weaknesses yes, but I think we'll learn from this. Love this team!!!

Well that was a fun loss.. the girls held their own!! I will take it. Hard to beat 62% and at least a ref and half!! We are deff a top 25 team.  Our play today would of won most big ten games.. I hope people keep showing up on the weekends that was great.  

Also has Clark ever taken a bite of humble pie before.  Hope it don't bite her back some day first.. but still a great player!!

2 minutes ago, UnicamMan said:

Our first women's game of the year (hope we didn't jinx them) but it was a good fun game.  Iowa shot lights out and the refs didn't give us any favors.  It was fun basketball to watch for a change, good offensive movement from both teams.  We just couldn't get over the hump.  

I hope you and a lot of more ppl keep coming back.  They deserve the crowd they got today!!

Pretty much were out coached in this one. They were prepared in all phases...us not so much.

To not have your better shadow on Warnock is baffling.....she pretty much beat us as much as anyone, especially in the first half. Just let her , let her shoot.  She kept them in the game. 

Best game they've played all year. They were saving up for this one apparently.

No matter how much  I like our Huskers, when your opponent scores 95 pts, it's tough to win, regardless fo your offense.

Our crowd was great !!

Edited by redsteve

man, even though i had been thinking iowa might come out of it's offensive funk, i never thought they would score 95 against the huskers defense. if the huskers were gonna "clock" iowa, i thought the best chance would be at PBA. crap. like coach williams has stated....gotta show some consistency to be a very good team.

Post-Game Press Conference:

w/Coach Williams, Sam Haiby & Jaz Shelley

First of all Coach gave Kudos to our Incredible Fan Base for coming out to support the team (heartily seconded by Jaz later in the interview) a really Fun (insane, said Jaz) crowd.

A disappointing loss but gave credit to Iowa for an incredible game, they made Big shots, Big plays but our Defense was not what we wanted. We are going to have to do better to make it more difficult for them. We knew our transition defense was an important key to the game for us; we weren't always where we needed to be and doing what we needed to do on D. We will have to step back and study the film to see where we can improve going forward. We need to put this behind us, do what we can to get better, be a better team and prepare for the next (Indiana) game.

Edited by Red Don

44 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Iowa entered the game shooting 25 percent from 3. Even without Warnock's unreal shooting, the rest of the team was 4-of-10. I think Clark's celebrity status here in Iowa City has changed her. She was much less full of herself as a frosh.

You're right!  Iowa MUST have something to do with it!

My observations on today’s ball game after plenty of drive time to ponder about the contest.

Iowa had too many easy, uncontested baskets which helped them shoot a very high percentage.   Iowa executed and we did not match up well in transition.

Clark is a nightmare to defend and with Czinano and Warnock were a tough trio today.

We might have cast up a few threes that were unnecessary but Iowa seemed to be making a three for every two.

A poorly officiated game with little consistency.  (Not the reason we lost)

We need a blend of Bourne and Coley to defend Warnock.  Coley did the best.  I thought Jaz could defend Clark but she got lost a few times. 

It is tough to outscore Iowa.

Really disappointed in the lack of concession stands in PBA.  It really puts a damper on the game experience.

No time to sulk, Indiana in Bloomington and at Iowa City will require our best.

7 hours ago, redsteve said:

I'll be the predictor today.  If we play defense like we did against Mich., I think we'll beat Iowa.  And....our bench will be much of the difference.

Doubt they'll be able to keep with the speed of our game......and we have to many scorers for them to stop.

So there you have it ...beat me up if you want.

It appeared to me Iowa had more speed in transition than we did.  We were lost on too many matchups.

Exciting game, but not the win results desired!    NE shot 33-83 or 39.8% overall and 9/34 or 26.5% on 3’s (shot 3’s by NE were 41% of the total shots. For the season to date, 38% of shots attempted have been 3’s as have Iowa’s).      IA shot 37 of 60 for 61.7% and 11/19 or 58% on 3’s.  NE free throws 11/16 and IA 10/11. NE won all the other stat categories except assists with IA with 22 and NE with 17.  

YTD NE is shooting .462 overall and .360 on 3 pointers.  IA is shooting .479 overall and .313 on three pointers.  On average on 34 attempted 3’s, NE might have made 12.24 3’s versus the 9 that occurred or 9 more points.  Nonetheless, IA’s shooting percentages were well above their averages YTD.

Defensively, NE needs to improve its defensive scheme, execution, 3 point defense and interior defense on the posts. Caitlin Clark is slippery to defend.   She was 1-6 on 3’s; 8 rebounds; 12 assists; and 7 turnovers.  Perhaps the better defense on her is let her shoot 3’s  where she is shooting  .239 on the season.

See below:

##

Player

GS

MIN

FG

3PT

FT

ORB-DRB

REB       Assists       TO

PF

A

TO

BLK

STL

PTS

Clark,Caitlin

11-24

1-6

8-9

1-7

8                  12           7

Warnock,McKenna

8-11

7-9

0-0

0-10

10                  2           5

Czinano,Monika

10-14

0-0

0-0

2-3

5                     2           0

Offensively, NE likely needs to expand on using more 2 point jumpers versus so many 3’s when they are not going in.  23 offensive rebounds were awesome for the game.  Still missing too many lay ups.   The officials for the game did us no favors as well.

Lastly, NE women’s coaching needs to improve in all areas to include better use of time outs to make adjustments!  In the 4th quarter, NE still had 4 timeouts available and using one late to advance the ball after a made shot.   So!!!  NE ended the game losing with 3 time outs that could have been used for strategy moves.

Meanwhile, the team is the best team in awhile but will have to fight hard in the Big Ten!

A few take aways.

Against Minnesota and Michigan we defended and won.

Against Iowa and MSU we didn't and lost.

Defensive inconsistencies are usually the mark of a young team, which by the way we are.

We finally have enough offensive fire power outscore teams.  Seriously if Jaz's 3pt shooting was on we still would have won despite poor/ no defense.

Not sure what Miss Bourne is doing.  We need her in the paint and not camping out at the three point line.

Final take away; really loving the play of our Nebraska freshmen Weidner and Markowski.

Having sat on it overnight....

Our offense did enough to win the game....mid 80's points will win most games, and near 40% shooting will too. 

We just seem to be out of position defensively way way to much.  Not covering the perimeter, and leaving the inside open for way to many easy layups. 

Our "transition defense" didn't work in the first half, and we stayed with it the second, and it still didn't work.  So, we didn't get back on defense, leaving people open a lot.

Didn't try any other defensive set up. When what your doing doesn't work, it's leaving the door open for the other team.

Noticed Iowa did just the opposite, they hustled to get back the whole game, because of our offense's speed to get down the court. Their defense was set to stop the perimeter shots, and fill the lane. They clearly were prepared and up for the game. Have to credit blubber for that.  :( 

And one player in particular gets the "classless and childish" award.

Makes no difference now of course. But wonder if our Mich. style man on man 1/2 court defense might have worked better.

Believe our girls can put this game behind then. Must be resilient and go onto the next one. There's lots more games to win.

So move on to Indiana. They're mostly a 1/2 court offense. 

Edited by redsteve