IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

11 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Really disappointed in the lack of concession stands in PBA.  It really puts a damper on the game experience.

just to throw something out about this quote. a couple, three weeks ago, i was listening to 93.7 one morning and they were discussing this topic (although, related to the men's side). appears there has been the same question. Sipple stated he had a number of fans ask him what is going on with the concessions. Sip said he talked to someone from the PBA side and they stated they have had a difficult time getting workers and getting the product (not to mention quantity). hope that helps with your question.

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Having sat on it overnight....

Our offense did enough to win the game....mid 80's points will win most games, and near 40% shooting will too. 

We just seem to be out of position defensively way way to much.  Not covering the perimeter, and leaving the inside open for way to many easy layups. 

Our "transition defense" didn't work in the first half, and we stayed with it the second, and it still didn't work.  So, we didn't get back on defense, leaving people open a lot.

Didn't try any other defensive set up. When what your doing doesn't work, it's leaving the door open for the other team.

It was good to hear Coach Williams agrees with you.  She seemed to say the staff needs to take a look at their preparation (at least, my interpretation).  I thought the kids hustled throughout.  They just weren't put in positions to stop what Iowa was running.

Getting Bella back will help too.  Hopefully, that is soon. Izzie seems a bit lost without her on the court. The great thing about basketball, late February and March is when you want to play your best.  Hang in there Ladies.

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

just to throw something out about this quote. a couple, three weeks ago, i was listening to 93.7 one morning and they were discussing this topic (although, related to the men's side). appears there has been the same question. Sipple stated he had a number of fans ask him what is going on with the concessions. Sip said he talked to someone from the PBA side and they stated they have had a difficult time getting workers and getting the product (not to mention quantity). hope that helps with your question.

I asked the same question at a midweek day game to an official awhile back and got the same answer. " Can't get workers"

coach williams on the rematch...

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/slowing-down-caitlin-clark-is-key-in-nebraskas-rematch-with-iowa/article_4976471c-764b-11ec-88bc-6f27394e66c2.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Omaha_World-Herald_Huskers&fbclid=IwAR1hI8jzE590eSdVHuMrCV_K65QgHtDJma36SzgVn4cO1kujQj4rySRsHpM

"A key question mark Sunday will be the availability and effectiveness of Nebraska guard Sam Haiby, who injured her right shoulder in the loss to the Hoosier. Haiby has played some of her best games against Iowa. If she’s limited, NU will ask more from reserve guards Allison Weidner, MiCole Cayton, Ruby Porter and Kendall Moriarty. Among backups, Weidner has proven plucky at the hoop while Cayton is the best on-ball defender."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Another one of the good things from the game last night was Moriarty kind of breaking out....and went to the basket hard. She seemed to finally just play and wasn't so freshman nervous. Really got into the flow.  As we've already known she's pretty mobile and athletic.  Nice to see even another freshmen excelling.

Overall, even with the refs 2 qtr. folly, we did some good things being so short handed. The girls were intense and fighting hard. 

Observations:

I watched some of the game replay, and have an uneducated observation about Iowa. We know what their offense does.

We also know refs weren't called on some obvious Iowa fouls, and we were called for phantom fouls......anyway .....Iowa intentionally doesn't physically contest shots much.  They do play some man defense, but mostly non contact. They will let you sort of shoot layups, but stay with you... but not try to bock shots. They play 6 or 7 and don't want anyone of them to foul out.

Czinano, inside, doesn't foul a lot or try to block shots.  They want her in the whole game. The way we were set up defensively scheme wise, it wasn't really possible to double team her much.

Conversely, Iowa was double teaming Markowski most of the time. 

Like has been said many times, they are focused on out scoring you....not so much stopping you from scoring. 

We didn't stop them enough, and they didn't stop us either.  They just got a few more points than us....both games.

Anyway, on to Rutgers. Need to win about 7 more regular season games and get into NCAAs. It's very possible for us to do. 

Edited by redsteve

i believe 3 out of the next 4 are at PBA...i think they go to Illinois. i was wishing for and thought they could get a split with iowa, but now i think it's important to go on a 4 game winning streak. however, you never know how that ball is going to bounce. schedule gets a little difficult again after these next 4 games. i know i get emotional with this team right now, but, i am really excited about the future. they are pretty young and i really believe things are trending up. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Another one of the good things from the game last night was Moriarty kind of breaking out....and went to the basket hard. She seemed to finally just play and wasn't so freshman nervous. Really got into the flow.  As we've already known she's pretty mobile and athletic.  Nice to see even another freshmen excelling.

The 'all in one motion' reverse layup was a thing of beauty.  The kid has some skills.

3 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Did Lindsay Whalen upset Coach Bluder?  Iowa massacred the Gophers in Minneapolis last night.

watched both maryland-osu and minny-iowa. 

wow, even the announcers were commenting on the "interest" minny showed right from the beginning (or, maybe i should say disinterest) 56 point loss!!!

top ten class next year, however........

and, i was actually rooting for maryland (ugh). i think an osu loss may have benefited the huskers more than a maryland loss---in the long run.

6 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

watched both maryland-osu and minny-iowa. 

wow, even the announcers were commenting on the "interest" minny showed right from the beginning (or, maybe i should say disinterest) 56 point loss!!!

top ten class next year, however........

and, i was actually rooting for maryland (ugh). i think an osu loss may have benefited the huskers more than a maryland loss---in the long run.

The league is tougher than ever..  we are going to have to play well to finish at .500 in conference.

22 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Did Lindsay Whalen upset Coach Bluder?  Iowa massacred the Gophers in Minneapolis last night.

I see that Clark played 35+.  Nice flex by the coach.  Clark and Blunder's bush league crap against us coupled with that kind of flex against a conference opponent, they are building some great karma.  Wonder if that's wise considering the defensive thuganomics teams are still left on their schedule.

Anyway that's my happy thought of the day.

5 hours ago, caveman said:

I see that Clark played 35+.  Nice flex by the coach.  Clark and Blunder's bush league crap against us coupled with that kind of flex against a conference opponent, they are building some great karma.  Wonder if that's wise considering the defensive thuganomics teams are still left on their schedule.

Anyway that's my happy thought of the day.

if you were watching, had to know Bluder was gonna let Clark play till she got that triple-double again🤷‍♂️

In the Nebraska game besides putting Clark back in to get her 30 points there could have been another reason.  In the NET rankings there is a lot of calculations that go into it.  One minor one is you get a slight boost if you win by 10 points or more. That is the only consideration for margin of victory.  They had an 8 point advantage when Bludder called time out and put Clark back in to score her last basket.  Bush league call by a bush league coach.  More fodder to dislike our neighbors.