uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 16 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many wins does Fred need to have to get to 20 conference wins in the next 2 seasons?

Fred currently has 5 conference wins in about 2.25 (conference) seasons. With 15 more regular season conference games this season and 40 more coming up over the next two seasons, he needs to start winning 27.3% of all remaining conference games to get to 20 total conference wins. His first two seasons were 10% and 15.8%.

Miles: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins

Sadler: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins

Collier: 4 seasons to get to 22 conference wins

Nee: 5 seasons to get to 27 conference wins

Iba: 3 seasons to get to 25 conference wins

Cipriano: 3 seasons to get to 22 conference wins

Bush: 5 seasons to get to 24 conference wins

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

While I agree that 2019-20 would have been a bad year under Miles he likely could have found 1-2 guys to go with Burke and Green to reach the extremely low bar of double digit wins.  We view Green as a whiff but his life is possibly very different if he'd spent that season being used as a hard-nosed defensive focused combo guard as opposed to a human 'i've made a huge mistake' gif

Both those guys would have been different people, on and off the court, without ever having known Cam Mack. 

43 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes, and virtually the whole rotation was either out of eligibility or heading to the NBA draft.  Miles wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins had he been retained an extra year.  That's why a lot of us gave Hoiberg a total free pass in Year 1.  Granted, this current dumpster fire is 100% on Fred.  There is no one else to blame at this point.  

We certainly would have been young.  Miles had a really nice recruiting class on paper, though, so there was hope for the future.  Dre Davis (Louisville) and Donovan Williams (milk carton) were both 4 stars.  Dre is a top 5 scorer for Louisville.  Mika-Adams Woods is a top 5 scorer for Cincinnati. And supposedly Miles had a great chance with Hepburn.  I think we all knew if Miles was retained it was a rebuilding year.  I suspect he would have found 10 wins but that is a hypothetical argument at this point.

That said, I was 100% on board with the Hoiberg hire.  I felt the last 2 Miles years were his glass ceiling.   I didn’t feel like he could get us over the NCAA tourney hump.  I honestly thought we were entering a golden age with the Frost and Hoiberg hires, and I doubt anyone nationally felt we didn’t hit home runs with both.    Funny how life works out sometimes.

3 hours ago, busticket said:

We certainly would have been young.  Miles had a really nice recruiting class on paper, though, so there was hope for the future.  Dre Davis (Louisville) and Donovan Williams (milk carton) were both 4 stars.  Dre is a top 5 scorer for Louisville.  Mika-Adams Woods is a top 5 scorer for Cincinnati. And supposedly Miles had a great chance with Hepburn.  I think we all knew if Miles was retained it was a rebuilding year.  I suspect he would have found 10 wins but that is a hypothetical argument at this point.

That said, I was 100% on board with the Hoiberg hire.  I felt the last 2 Miles years were his glass ceiling.   I didn’t feel like he could get us over the NCAA tourney hump.  I honestly thought we were entering a golden age with the Frost and Hoiberg hires, and I doubt anyone nationally felt we didn’t hit home runs with both.    Funny how life works out sometimes.

This is just it right?  Looking back, Miles would have probably had to do something realllly special to be retained.  The Fred conversations were happening very early on— even reported on this board early on.  You’re nuts if you don’t make that hire outside of Tims team reallly turning on the jets to end the season.  It was going to be a rough year the following year for both Tim or Fred.  It’s hard to not take the “what if” approach when thinking about what Tim’s teams would have been last year and this year vs what we saw/have seen so far.

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Fred currently has 5 conference wins in about 2.25 (conference) seasons. With 15 more regular season conference games this season and 40 more coming up over the next two seasons, he needs to start winning 27.3% of all remaining conference games to get to 20 total conference wins. His first two seasons were 10% and 15.8%.

Miles: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins

Sadler: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins

Collier: 4 seasons to get to 22 conference wins

Nee: 5 seasons to get to 27 conference wins

Iba: 3 seasons to get to 25 conference wins

Cipriano: 3 seasons to get to 22 conference wins

Bush: 5 seasons to get to 24 conference wins

Too lazy to look it up, but I’d be interested the amount of conference games during these tenures too.  The opportunity to play 20 conference games each year seems like it was only given to Fred out of this list?  Or was Miles afforded that opportunity as well?

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Yes, and virtually the whole rotation was either out of eligibility or heading to the NBA draft.  Miles wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins had he been retained an extra year.  That's why a lot of us gave Hoiberg a total free pass in Year 1.  Granted, this current dumpster fire is 100% on Fred.  There is no one else to blame at this point.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/2013.html

If he could get this group to 15, he would've cracked 10 I believe. 

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Too lazy to look it up, but I’d be interested the amount of conference games during these tenures too.  The opportunity to play 20 conference games each year seems like it was only given to Fred out of this list?  Or was Miles afforded that opportunity as well?

Adding in the average number of conference opportunities during the entire tenure (Hoiberg will be at avg 19.67 after this year):

Miles: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins (avg 18.2 opportunities per season)

Sadler: 3 seasons to get to 21 conference wins (avg 16.3 opportunities per season)

Collier: 4 seasons to get to 22 conference wins (avg 16 opportunities per season)

Nee: 5 seasons to get to 27 conference wins (avg 14.6 opportunities per season)

Iba: 3 seasons to get to 25 conference wins (avg 14 opportunities per season)

Cipriano: 3 seasons to get to 22 conference wins (avg 14 opportunities per season)

Bush: 5 seasons to get to 24 conference wins (avg 13.1 opportunities per season)