uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 16 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

For the amount of money we spent on Hoiberg and Frost we could have just bought Iowa St University

I actually ran the numbers last year and can't imagine they've improved, but if you add together the football and men's basketball head coaching salaries and divide it by the number of wins they've gotten, no school has paid more money per win than Nebraska since Frost and Hoiberg were hired.

And it's not even close.

I will say I'm happy with the changes Frost made and think it's possible the football team will be good next year *winning record.

With Hoibergs buyout I don't think he's going anywhere. Trev is going to need to the same talk with him that he had with Frost. Changes will need to be made and baselines will need to be set. Will it change anything? who knows. I will say I don't believe Hoiberg was a bad coach his time at ISU wasn't lighting in a bottle but something definitely changed since he went to the NBA/Nebraska. Entirely possible with all the money he's made perhaps the same fire isn't there that was at ISU or perhaps times have caught up with him like Pelini. 

42 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

With Hoibergs buyout I don't think he's going anywhere. Trev is going to need to the same talk with him that he had with Frost. Changes will need to be made and baselines will need to be set. Will it change anything? who knows. I will say I don't believe Hoiberg was a bad coach his time at ISU wasn't lighting in a bottle but something definitely changed since he went to the NBA/Nebraska. Entirely possible with all the money he's made perhaps the same fire isn't there that was at ISU or perhaps times have caught up with him like Pelini. 

I know that Fred's contract is prohibitive and if TA wants to give him one year, I'll be OK with that. I'll still support the team and watch games. I'll still buy my season tickets however I likely won't go to many games if there isn't marked improvement.

WTF does Pelini have to do with this conversation...seriously. Some of you will bend over backwards going out of your way to make a football comparison with basketball. There is none so stop. Other than them both having *ball in the name they are completely different on almost every level. 

I used to be a member of many Nebraska MB's going all the way back to the Austin360 days. This is the first and only MBB MB out there that I'm aware of. I've long since left all those other boards and now belong to an invite only private board, and this one, and that's it. All those interactions has showed me that people only care about MBB when we fire a coach or hire a new coach and when we have made it to the NCAA tourney. Most fans have no clue about the program. 

How many people do any of you know that are fans of the basketball program only, and follow a different football team?

This is 100% on the players. These coaches know how to coach. They know how to recruit. But it doesn't matter how good you are as a coach if your best players hate each other and have no interest in playing team ball. 

The only question is has too much damage been done that they can't get new players or can they reset next year with new guys who actually deserve to wear the uniform and represent their school.

Edited by Blackshirt83

7 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

As a huge supporter of Miles, I  eventually came around to the conclusion of many that we had hit our ceiling with him.  Unfortunately, the proverbial "floor" under Miles appears to be higher than Hoiberg's ceiling.  Not ideal and I am ready to move on from the Hoiberg era.

13 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

As a huge supporter of Miles, I  eventually came around to the conclusion of many that we had hit our ceiling with him.  Unfortunately, the proverbial "floor" under Miles appears to be higher than Hoiberg's ceiling.  Not ideal and I am ready to move on from the Hoiberg era.

We fired Mike Riley (sorry Ron) after 3 seasons and he was way more successful than Fred.  I have seen enough lack of progress from Fred to know this won’t end well.  If it wasn’t for the buyout he should be done.

18 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

This is 100% on the players. These coaches know how to coach. They know how to recruit. But it doesn't matter how good you are as a coach if your best players hate each other and have no interest in playing team ball. 

The only question is has too much damage been done that they can't get new players or can they reset next year with new guys who actually deserve to wear the uniform and represent their school.

They clearly do not know how to recruit. Look at the number of players they have recruited that are no longer with the program. Look at the lack of pieces on our roster that don’t fit together. And look at the continual lack of recruiting a true PG. 

Matty A is a recruiting fraud

45 minutes ago, Jugular said:

They clearly do not know how to recruit. Look at the number of players they have recruited that are no longer with the program. Look at the lack of pieces on our roster that don’t fit together. And look at the continual lack of recruiting a true PG. 

Matty A is a recruiting fraud

Here's his old bio:

https://redstormsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/matt-abdelmassih/23

22 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I know that Fred's contract is prohibitive and if TA wants to give him one year, I'll be OK with that. I'll still support the team and watch games. I'll still buy my season tickets however I likely won't go to many games if there isn't marked improvement.

WTF does Pelini have to do with this conversation...seriously. Some of you will bend over backwards going out of your way to make a football comparison with basketball. There is none so stop. Other than them both having *ball in the name they are completely different on almost every level. 

I used to be a member of many Nebraska MB's going all the way back to the Austin360 days. This is the first and only MBB MB out there that I'm aware of. I've long since left all those other boards and now belong to an invite only private board, and this one, and that's it. All those interactions has showed me that people only care about MBB when we fire a coach or hire a new coach and when we have made it to the NCAA tourney. Most fans have no clue about the program. 

How many people do any of you know that are fans of the basketball program only, and follow a different football team?

Calm down buddy it was an example of the game passing a coach by its not that serious.

Edited by huskerbill85

17 hours ago, busticket said:

We fired Mike Riley (sorry Ron) after 3 seasons and he was way more successful than Fred.  I have seen enough lack of progress from Fred to know this won’t end well.  If it wasn’t for the buyout he should be done.

That's a really stupid comparison. Riley took over a team that was consistently winning 9 games and just needed a legitimate coach to take that roster over the hump. Fred took over a program with zero historical success and virtually nothing left on the roster. 

16 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

That's a really stupid comparison. Riley took over a team that was consistently winning 9 games and just needed a legitimate coach to take that roster over the hump. Fred took over a program with zero historical success and virtually nothing left on the roster. 

And yet he's breaking program records, both coaching and on the court, for how terrible of a program this is right now all while having the greatest talent in the Rivals era that we've ever had.

Say what you will about where this program was when Fred took over it but it's very clear, at this specific moment in time, that it's worse than it's ever been in recorded history.

The last time we had a 7-win season or worse was 1963-64 (Joe Cipriano's first season). Before that, Jerry Bush had 3 of them. That doesn't mean there's no hope for this coaching staff, but it certainly isn't started off in any sort of positive direction.

12 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Interesting background, I don't remember most of these supposedly top-notch guys it says he recruited. Matt A was handling recruiting for another former NBA guy, Chris Mullin.

Wikipedia: On April 9, 2019, Mullin resigned as head coach after compiling a 59–73 record in four seasons, including 20–52 in Big East play, 

1 hour ago, Blackshirt83 said:

Fred took over a team that won 22 and 19 games the two years before his arrival.  Just sayin’

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Interesting background, I don't remember most of these supposedly top-notch guys it says he recruited. Matt A was handling recruiting for another former NBA guy, Chris Mullin.

Wikipedia: On April 9, 2019, Mullin resigned as head coach after compiling a 59–73 record in four seasons, including 20–52 in Big East play, 

Chris Mullen spent his time at St Johns doing crossword puzzles on the sidelines and still had the sort of mediocre success that would get Hoiberg to a 4th year

1 hour ago, busticket said:

Fred took over a team that won 22 and 19 games the two years before his arrival.  Just sayin’

Yes, and virtually the whole rotation was either out of eligibility or heading to the NBA draft.  Miles wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins had he been retained an extra year.  That's why a lot of us gave Hoiberg a total free pass in Year 1.  Granted, this current dumpster fire is 100% on Fred.  There is no one else to blame at this point.  

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

How many wins does Fred need to have to get to 20 conference wins in the next 2 seasons?

11 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Miles wouldn't have gotten to 10 wins had he been retained an extra year. 

While I agree that 2019-20 would have been a bad year under Miles he likely could have found 1-2 guys to go with Burke and Green to reach the extremely low bar of double digit wins.  We view Green as a whiff but his life is possibly very different if he'd spent that season being used as a hard-nosed defensive focused combo guard as opposed to a human 'i've made a huge mistake' gif