uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 16 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

58 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I guess I don't get the whole Doc dynamic either.  If you are going to bring Doc on your staff, it's got to be about letting him install a footprint on the "D", doesn't it?  And did I miss something this year?  According to this 4/6/21 article, Doc's new role As special assistant to the head coach, Sadler will not be allowed to coach during practices and games.   Yet there he is on the floor, every game.  I have to confess, I've been less engaged these few months with the program, and something probably happened since April 6th.  But what gives?

I've followed doc at 2 programs now and I don't recognize him. This is the question I've been asking since his initial back-benching and the sense that the two had a falling out over mkethods and approaches and that Doc had lost an argument he should have won. He's back on the bench to try and rescue something he knows can't be. Doc looks like a zombie out there that wants to be anywhere but back in Lincoln on these terms, and I fully exxpect him to be gone at the end of the year, regardless of Hoiberg. 

High dollar coaches aren't a guarantee of success. I don't know how to "fix" Nebraska. But we did come close not that long ago. An unknown from Ohio took us places no oneelse did. We need to hire better and differently, at least for this sport. Part of that is having a string of sh*t ADs for too long. I'm hoping Alberts reverses that trajectory. 

Btvv: Coach Pettit also scores big here, too. This isn't a bad year. This is a bad foundation and this house cannot stand. 

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

Hell, Doc's last NU team won 4 in his one and only season in the B1G, with one of those wins on the road.

I'll say it: if Doc is head coach of this bunch,and assuming he didn't need to empty the entire roster for a refusal to train properly, he'd have at least 2 to 3 times the wins by now. 

He's done a lot more with a lot less. 

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yeah, I thought it was a great quote. It's always brought up, but Pettit illustrated it perfectly - we always look like 10 dudes who have never met, get thrown on a court against guys that play together everyday. 

They need to take the men to watch the women play!  The one loss that the women had, I thought I was watching the guys play. Generally speaking the women play like a well oiled machine. The guys play like car fresh out of the junkyard. 

1 minute ago, Nighthawk said:

They need to take the men to watch the women play!  The one loss that the women had, I thought I was watching the guys play. Generally speaking the women play like a well oiled machine. The guys play like car fresh out of the junkyard. 

My grandfather bought a 1907 Model T ford that hadn't run in 50yrs at an estate sale in South Dakota and completed restored it. He did this in 1979. When he passed away 1985 it sold at auction for $25k.

Our basketball program can be fixed.

Amy Williams inherited a pretty good basketball program that had been built up by the previous coach.

I know there were some issues going on with the women's program at that time but there had also been a nice level of sustained success.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

All power 5 teams have guys that are taking advantage of NIL. Trey is injured and we don't put Bryce into a great position to succeed. Red herring argument imo.

As usual, just my opinion but I respectfully disagree with it being a red herring argument. There are lots of kids taking advantage of NIL money and there are programs positioning it in different ways. Some kids can do so and still be team-driven, some can't. It is very individual in nature, but the program & leadership play an integral role in how it affects the team environment.

I don't have a problem with NIL & kids profiting as long as it's kept in the proper perspective and the team/program come first. Some programs may be making NIL way too important in the recruiting process and as a part of the program, thus leading kids down the path of ME>WE. 

5 hours ago, Nebrasketballer said:

And I’m not against the players doing those things. I think they should be able to do it, but it’s a really bad look when it looks like some people don’t care much on the court. It’s been pretty clear over the last year that a couple of players on this team are much more concerned with building their own personal brand than they are with building a winning basketball team/program.

Cam, Teddy, and now Verge.  Why every year is there a player like this?

Clearly we have made some very poor evaluations of players brought in via transfer.  Hoiberg and staff have been unable to assemble a cohesive team in the tenure at Nebraska.  Players that were labeled as good have turned out to be average and below.  I don’t see Bryce as a 5 ***** talent and wonder how many of our team could play for another B1G or Power 5 team.

I will always be a Husker BB fan but my hopes of seeing an NCAA Tournament victory in my lifetime are fading fast! (I am 70)

Get the guys on the floor that will play hard and act like they care about the uniform they wear. 

9 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Clearly we have made some very poor evaluations of players brought in via transfer.  Hoiberg and staff have been unable to assemble a cohesive team in the tenure at Nebraska.  Players that were labeled as good have turned out to be average and below.  I don’t see Bryce as a 5 ***** talent and wonder how many of our team could play for another B1G or Power 5 team.

I will always be a Husker BB fan but my hopes of seeing an NCAA Tournament victory in my lifetime are fading fast! (I am 70)

Get the guys on the floor that will play hard and act like they care about the uniform they wear. 

When I heard Bryce was a 5 Star I didn’t expect Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley, but I sure didn’t expect a poor man’s Joe McCray either…