uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 16 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

I have come to the conclusion that this is something bigger than just a BB problem.  With all the dynamics of the transfer portal, revenue money for players while they are in school, etc., just feels like this is working against us.  People snickered when Rutgers was added to the Big Ten.  But when it comes to men's sports, Nebraska is the new Rutgers.  It's a different story with women's sports.  Anyone here feel the same way?  What can possibly be the answer to dig us out of this mess.

4 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

I have come to the conclusion that this is something bigger than just a BB problem.  With all the dynamics of the transfer portal, revenue money for players while they are in school, etc., just feels like this is working against us.  People snickered when Rutgers was added to the Big Ten.  But when it comes to men's sports, Nebraska is the new Rutgers.  It's a different story with women's sports.  Anyone here feel the same way?  What can possibly be the answer to dig us out of this mess.

I don’t feel the same way.  This shouldn’t be lumped  in with any other sport.  No excuses for the culture of the basketball program.  Baseball and wrestling are 2 men’s sports who do well and compete the right way.  And while football is down, the level of effort was night and day different than this mess.  I’m not aware of any other sport where we’ve been dead last 3 straight years.  

Edited by HB

1 minute ago, HuskerCager said:

I think we need to be patient. Hoiberg is using his NBA experience to tank for top draft picks next year.

Seriously though if we were going to tank for three years, it should have been to build and develop of players who work hard and improve. Take the lumps to build a veteran senior team with balanced classes and players who grow. I suspect Hoiberg is not a talent developer more roll the ball out than I am comfortable with. 

1 minute ago, HB said:

I don’t feel the same way.  This shouldn’t be lumped  in with any other sport.  No excuses for the culture if the basketball program.  Baseball amd wrestling are 2 men’s sports who do well and compete the right way.  And while football is down, the level of effort was night and day different than this mess.  I’m not aware of any other sport where we’ve been dead last 3 straight years.  

Fair enough.  But what needs to change to turn this around?  This is what I don't get.  Is Fred really that horrible of a coach?  ISU didn't look like this.  Did they just completely miss the boat with their recruits?  I don't know.  

2 minutes ago, HB said:

I don’t feel the same way.  This shouldn’t be lumped  in with any other sport.  No excuses for the culture of the basketball program.  Baseball and wrestling are 2 men’s sports who do well and compete the right way.  And while football is down, the level of effort was night and day different than this mess.  I’m not aware of any other sport where we’ve been dead last 3 straight years.  

Agree. Our effort is pathetic. I'd feel differently if we were working our butts off like football, but Hoiberg has built a team that just doesn't give a flip. 

2 minutes ago, HB said:

I don’t feel the same way.  This shouldn’t be lumped  in with any other sport.  No excuses for the culture if the basketball program.  Baseball amd wrestling are 2 men’s sports who do well and compete the right way.  And while football is down, the level of effort was night and day different than this mess.  I’m not aware of any other sport where we’ve been dead last 3 straight years.  

I'm at a loss. We have great facilities, fan support, a top P5 conference. There is simply not excuse.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Agree. Our effort is pathetic. I'd feel differently if we were working our butts off like football, but Hoiberg has built a team that just doesn't give a flip. 

Why is it Fred was so successful at ISU and so horrible here? Agree with your observations on the effort. If it's players, then they miscalculated horribly in recruiting. 

3 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I think we need to be patient. Hoiberg is using his NBA experience to tank for top draft picks next year.

Seriously though if we were going to tank for three years, it should have been to build and develop of players who work hard and improve. Take the lumps to build a veteran senior team with balanced classes and players who grow. I suspect Hoiberg is not a talent developer more roll the ball out than I am comfortable with. 

Steve Pikiell has done that at Rutgers. It's what we should be doing here.

Just now, HuskerCager said:

Why is it Fred was so successful at ISU and so horrible here? Agree with your observations on the effort. If it's players, then they miscalculated horribly in recruiting. 

My guess is that when Hoiberg was building his teams via the transfer portal at ISU, every other program wasn’t doing it. But now, pretty much every program is recruiting transfers, so he has much more competition in that regard.

Well, that wasn't pretty.  We went 6 - 18 from 3.  That's good.  Our communication was horrible.  It looked like some trips down the court, half our team was in zone, and the other half was in man.

We did beat this Rutgers team by 21 last year.  Sometimes,  it's just not your night.  The sad part is sometimes it is our night AKA Ohio State, and we still lose.

We did not force turnovers, and made way too many turnovers.

Each player needs to do some soul searching, and find their competitiveness.