Jump to content

uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 16 - at Rutgers


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nebrasketballer said:

My guess is that when Hoiberg was building his teams via the transfer portal at ISU, every other program wasn’t doing it. But now, pretty much every program is recruiting transfers, so he has much more competition in that regard.

Could be, however FH has done well with recruiting and the portal. He's completely failed on the coaching side and not the talent acquisition side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nebrasketballer said:

My guess is that when Hoiberg was building his teams via the transfer portal at ISU, every other program wasn’t doing it. But now, pretty much every program is recruiting transfers, so he has much more competition in that regard.

I didn't follow ISU hoops post Julius Michalik so I don't know the answer, but I would guess he was getting impact transfers to add to a competent roster rather than 80% turnover every season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, demone said:

Hate to say it, but there is likely a LOT more truth in this statement than most realize or are comfortable saying out loud.

And I’m not against the players doing those things. I think they should be able to do it, but it’s a really bad look when it looks like some people don’t care much on the court. It’s been pretty clear over the last year that a couple of players on this team are much more concerned with building their own personal brand than they are with building a winning basketball team/program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nebrasketballer said:

And I’m not against the players doing those things. I think they should be able to do it, but it’s a really bad look when it looks like some people don’t care much on the court. It’s been pretty clear over the last year that a couple of players on this team are much more concerned with building their own personal brand than they are with building a winning basketball team/program.

I don't understand how there is any NIL money for players on the worst P5 team in the country over the last 3 years. Who wants that association? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HuskerCager said:

Why is it Fred was so successful at ISU and so horrible here? Agree with your observations on the effort. If it's players, then they miscalculated horribly in recruiting. 

My take has been mistakes by Fred from the get go.   Had a free reign and money from Moos to hire top shelf assistants, and instead hired a weak staff.  Let Matt function as the sole GM for talent acquisition.  Figured he could coach up anyone Matt brought in.  The mercenary approach didn’t allow for strong culture in the program.  Despite a great reputation  and the early enthusiasm behind the hire, didn’t get one Nebraska  kid despite a lot of prospects.  Player development non-existent.    But I get people being perplexed given the success at Iowa State.  With a system geared for 3 point shot, how could we be in year 3 where we can’t shoot it worth a damn?  But of course  problems are WAY deeper than that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

I didn't follow ISU hoops post Julius Michalik so I don't know the answer, but I would guess he was getting impact transfers to add to a competent roster rather than 80% turnover every season

I also think there’s a style component in regards to Hoiberg’s offense and how it fits in the old Big 12 vs the current Big Ten. I’m not sure Hoiberg’s system is a great fit for the current Big Ten. 

 

Similar to Frost, I don’t think his Oregon/UCF offense is bad, but I think its not the best fit for the Big Ten.

 

I also think that the inability to bring in a true distributor PG has crippled this offense. There are capable shooters in this team, but they are all spot up shooters. They aren’t going to shoot well from 3 PT if they need to shoot off the dribble.

 

Also, Hoiberg needed to understand that you have to have some legit rim protectors in the Big Ten. And players need to give effort to rebound and when they can’t make shots, they need to give 200% effort on defense and rebounding, but unfortunately this team is doing those things as if they were scoring 90 points per game.

Edited by Nebrasketballer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, demone said:

Hate to say it, but there is likely a LOT more truth in this statement than most realize or are comfortable saying out loud.

All power 5 teams have guys that are taking advantage of NIL. Trey is injured and we don't put Bryce into a great position to succeed. Red herring argument imo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I don't get the whole Doc dynamic either.  If you are going to bring Doc on your staff, it's got to be about letting him install a footprint on the "D", doesn't it?  And did I miss something this year?  According to this 4/6/21 article, Doc's new role As special assistant to the head coach, Sadler will not be allowed to coach during practices and games.   Yet there he is on the floor, every game.  I have to confess, I've been less engaged these few months with the program, and something probably happened since April 6th.  But what gives?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HB said:

My take has been mistakes by Fred from the get go.   Had a free reign and money from Moos to hire top shelf assistants, and instead hired a weak staff.  Let Matt function as the sole GM for talent acquisition.  Figured he could coach up anyone Matt brought in.  The mercenary approach didn’t allow for strong culture in the program.  Despite a great reputation  and the early enthusiasm behind the hire, didn’t get one Nebraska  kid despite a lot of prospects.  Player development non-existent.    But I get people being perplexed given the success at Iowa State.  With a system geared for 3 point shot, how could we be in year 3 where we can’t shoot it worth a damn?  But of course  problems are WAY deeper than that.  

Way deeper. If FH were to be let go, there should be many others joining him along with assistant coachs, including S&C/Recruiting/Development/Operations. A clean sweep.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Why is it Fred was so successful at ISU and so horrible here? Agree with your observations on the effort. If it's players, then they miscalculated horribly in recruiting. 

No idea... but after watching Iowa St this year, I wonder if Otz had more to do with their success than previously given credit for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

All power 5 teams have guys that are taking advantage of NIL. Trey is injured and we don't put Bryce into a great position to succeed. Red herring argument imo.

 

Best position for Bryce to succeed would be in old 6-on-6 Iowa Women’s games where he couldn’t cross half court to play defense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

No idea... but after watching Iowa St this year, I wonder if Otz had more to do with their success than previously given credit for. 

Timing, putting together a good staff, etc.  Just seems to have worked better for Fred at Ames.  And of course the other irony here is that Fred came in after McDermott flames out in Ames and Greg goes on to have great success in Omaha in the Big East?

Why does this never happen in Lincoln?  Arghh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Could be, however FH has done well with recruiting and the portal. He's completely failed on the coaching side and not the talent acquisition side.

He’s done well recruiting talented individual pieces. He has not done well recruiting pieces that fit a system and pieces that function as a cohesive unit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HB said:

My take has been mistakes by Fred from the get go.   Had a free reign and money from Moos to hire top shelf assistants, and instead hired a weak staff.  Let Matt function as the sole GM for talent acquisition.  Figured he could coach up anyone Matt brought in.  The mercenary approach didn’t allow for strong culture in the program.  Despite a great reputation  and the early enthusiasm behind the hire, didn’t get one Nebraska  kid despite a lot of prospects.  Player development non-existent.    But I get people being perplexed given the success at Iowa State.  With a system geared for 3 point shot, how could we be in year 3 where we can’t shoot it worth a damn?  But of course  problems are WAY deeper than that.  

 

You read Chicago bulls writings from the Fred Hoiberg era and the ISU stuff is the outlier, not the standard. 

 

Part of the problem with the hire was the assumption that Fred would know how to run a program because he had 'done it before' whereas his success at ISU probably had a lot to do with the systems and culture already in place. We had a 'pay the AD to leave' situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nebrasketballer said:

He’s done well recruiting talented individual pieces. He has not done well recruiting pieces that fit a system and pieces that function as a cohesive unit.

Agreed. He's a acquired talent, which is a good thing however, you can't just take the best player because they are available.

My issue is primarily player development. Lat and Andrea have regressed. Bryce is still playing like its AAU ball. Free wheeling 3's, although that has improved somewhat.

Mostly disappointed with how we play defense. Lack of effort, except for Derrick. Poor design which puts us in a bad position to close out on 3's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Walker is in year 3. Has anyone else been here that long? Hard to definitely say if we're good or not at development in this revolving door program.

Who knows, but Eduardo is one example of a lack of such development, although it’s just year 2.   Commentators gushed last year about him, and he had flashes of “oh my, he might  be really good”.  but he didn’t get stronger in the off season, and he hasn’t developed his skills.  He may have regressed.  On the other hand, and in fairness to the staff, Walker has developed.  Even improved his free throw shooting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

Why is it Fred was so successful at ISU and so horrible here? Agree with your observations on the effort. If it's players, then they miscalculated horribly in recruiting. 

https://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/beverage/news/10762108/iowa-state-university-switches-from-pepsi-cola-to-coca-cola

 

Look at the date!!!!  Right in the middle of his coaching at ISU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HuskerCager said:

I have come to the conclusion that this is something bigger than just a BB problem.  With all the dynamics of the transfer portal, revenue money for players while they are in school, etc., just feels like this is working against us.  People snickered when Rutgers was added to the Big Ten.  But when it comes to men's sports, Nebraska is the new Rutgers.  It's a different story with women's sports.  Anyone here feel the same way?  What can possibly be the answer to dig us out of this mess.

A coach that actually has a plan when it comes to running an offense and building a roster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I look at the box score and my first thought is ...

 

"Huh. Rutgers only shot 58% from the field? Surprised it was that low."

 

...we've got problems. Lots of problems.

 

Agree with the statement above that we're just playing out the string with Fred at this point. But I don't think he gets fired after this season. He may resign, but they won't fire him after 3 years.

 

Edited by throwback
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, twinswingohuskers said:

You would think that the players would get tired of the other team laughing at them as they come off the court with 5 minutes left in the game.   Wouldn't that piss you off just a little.

I would but I'm more invested in this than they are.

 

This team needs to ease on down the road to Oz because they have to get some heart, some smart, and some courage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...