Hoiberg article

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2022/01/07/nebraska-basketball-fans-waiting-fred-hoiberg-produce-turnaround-cornhuskers/9134599002/

Article from Des Moines Register.  Had a lot of good points and makes you think.  A lot has been discussed in the "Hot Seat" thread, but another look. The paragraph below says alot.  There is also the roster issue of when he got here, what they went thru last year, and struggles this year.  I just wonder what could come back next year, as I have said in other threads, and if that gives you hope. It always seems, as by this article, that Nebrasketball fans always make excuses for hope when there is no light ahead.  

Hoiberg is 20-54 overall, 5-38 in the Big Ten and 1-27 in road games. His .270 winning percentage is the lowest through any Nebraska coach’s first 74 games. The Huskers have lost 19 straight against ranked opponents under Hoiberg and a program-record 20 overall

This is why I only worry about the next game.  What I am or feel about the program means nothing in this world of ours.  I know it is a message board and this is what we do, but it is more fun to go to the game with my red glasses on and cheer and what happens, happens.

I choose to invest my money in buying tickets and going to the games.  To me it is entertainment.  And I still think I am getting my money’s worth.  I have also had the joy of many really feel good times with this program. Remember “No Sit Sunday?”

All this will be that much sweeter when not if we become what most of us want us to be…

GBR

Edited by Silverbacked1

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

This is why I only worry about the next game.  What I am or feel about the program means nothing in this world of ours.  I know it is a message board and this is what we do, but it is more fun to go to the game with my red glasses on and cheer and what happens, happens.

I choose to invest my money in buying tickets and going to the games.  To me it is entertainment.  And I still think I am getting my money’s worth.  I have also had the joy of many really feel good times with this program. Remember “No Sit Sunday?”

All this will be that much sweeter when not if we become what most of us want us to be…

GBR

I get it and I want as much optimism as possible but at the same time this is rock bottom and the worst we have seen.  Something for whatever reason always sucks me in thinking it will get better but its hard thinking it will.  I feel like this program in 3 years isnt as bad as the numbers say but it is.  I have only gone to 2 games this year and not sure if I will go to anymore.  My chances of renewing tickets next year are slim knowing prices wont go down.  I enjoy and will watch from home but I just dont see how it can be better next year. 

31 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I get it and I want as much optimism as possible but at the same time this is rock bottom and the worst we have seen.  Something for whatever reason always sucks me in thinking it will get better but its hard thinking it will.  I feel like this program in 3 years isnt as bad as the numbers say but it is.  I have only gone to 2 games this year and not sure if I will go to anymore.  My chances of renewing tickets next year are slim knowing prices wont go down.  I enjoy and will watch from home but I just dont see how it can be better next year. 

You drive in from Omaha too don’t you?  I might think different if I wasn’t like 15 min. From my house to a parking lot.

I also don’t do much any more outside of working with at risk kids, eat, coach youth football, eat, get on here, eat, and go to my sons slow pitch softball games.

I do see what you are saying.  I have the money to keep buying my seats and time to go.  plus get time with two of three of my boys and my wife can keep me out of the refig for at least one night.😉

I also am kind of like a kid at Christmas, I hope I get what I asked for but every year that car doesn’t seem to show up with the big bow on it.

When it comes to Coach Hoiberg and this program, I am of the mindset that this is really year 2. He totally blew the program and i will not even take that year into account. I certainly would love to have seen this year start out better but i think the past couple games have shown some growth. Its just a shame that every time we start accumulating a bit of talent we suffer a backbreaking injury, whether Pitchford after the NCAA group or Trey this year. Im hopeful we end this year strong

Good article. I’d just ride this season out and restructure his deal in May. Get the buyout down and give him another year to retool. He had no roster to work with when he got here and Covid has made everything even more difficult. Make no mistake about it though, he needs to start winning. But to be honest, I’m way more disappointed in Scott Frost then I am Fred Hoiberg. Football is everything to both the state and the University. I’d like 90% of Trev’s energy going towards fixing this unmitigated disaster of a football program. Figure out if this retool will work or if you need a new coach. Let Fred have a chance to recruit his way out of this for a year why we get football right. 

2 hours ago, Busch Light said:

Good article. I’d just ride this season out and restructure his deal in May. Get the buyout down and give him another year to retool. He had no roster to work with when he got here and Covid has made everything even more difficult. Make no mistake about it though, he needs to start winning. But to be honest, I’m way more disappointed in Scott Frost then I am Fred Hoiberg. Football is everything to both the state and the University. I’d like 90% of Trev’s energy going towards fixing this unmitigated disaster of a football program. Figure out if this retool will work or if you need a new coach. Let Fred have a chance to recruit his way out of this for a year why we get football right. 

I just dont know you can use the covid excuse anymore.  The stuff that came with covid was gone this year and this team is garbage.  After today I just dont know how you can defend Fred or this program.  It is garbage.  1 road win, 6 power 5 wins in year 3, and many buy game losses.  Im willimg to give it one more year but wont be upset if this is it.  

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

I just dont know you can use the covid excuse anymore.  The stuff that came with covid was gone this year and this team is garbage.  After today I just dont know how you can defend Fred or this program.  It is garbage.  1 road win, 6 power 5 wins in year 3, and many buy game losses.  Im willimg to give it one more year but wont be upset if this is it.  

Yeah, if they continue to just quit, I’d 100% let him go at the end of the year. My overall point wasn’t to defend Hoiberg, it was to prioritize Nebraska’s problems. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trev had to hire for both football and basketball this year if this trajectory continues.