Just Checking...

HuskerFever

Okay, I just have to ask... I can't imagine this hasn't been asked before, but here we are.

Can somebody just come forward and admit their mistake?

On the day(s) of January 2, 1998, March 12, 1998, or June 21, 2005 did any of you believe they gave up their soul to the sports gods, but mistakingly gave up the soul of the men's major athletic programs at Nebraska?

If you believe this is you, please fix it. The rest of us are going through a lot of pain and suffering right now. Thank you in advance.

For the rest of you, "you might be entitled to compensation" (or at least that's what the mesothelioma commercials have told me...)

I'm 37, and I had the great fortune of going to the Orange Bowl to watch our last national title. On that trip, my brothers and I vividly remember our dad saying to enjoy it, because we may never witness this type of run again. We were thinking, no way! We always play in New year's bowls and for national titles. Man, was he right...

17 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Okay, I just have to ask... I can't imagine this hasn't been asked before, but here we are.

On the day(s) of January 2, 1998, March 12, 1998, or June 21, 2005 did any of you believe they gave up their soul to the sports gods, but mistakingly gave up the soul of the men's major athletic programs at Nebraska?

If you believe this is you, please fix it. The rest of us are going through a lot of pain and suffering right now. Thank you in advance.

For the rest of you, "you might be entitled to compensation" (or at least that's what the mesothelioma commercials have told me...)

I stick with my original statement.  Things went downhill when in 1997 when the University switched over from Coke to Pepsi....sorry to all of the Pepsi lovers here.  Things will keep going the way they are going until the U switches back to Coke. 

not mine...but others agree: 

Edited by Nighthawk

On 1/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, Nighthawk said:

I stick with my original statement.  Things went downhill when in 1997 when the University switched over from Coke to Pepsi....sorry to all of the Pepsi lovers here.  Things will keep going the way they are going until the U switches back to Coke. 

ok...with the National Championship game being played last night...to continue on from the above article:

2021 Alabama Coke

2022 Georgia Coke

Edited by Nighthawk

On 1/7/2022 at 10:34 AM, Nighthawk said:

There might be more layers. I know this is football as well, but I came across this:

https://news.delta.com/airline-champions-adds-clemson-trophy-case

So in 2017 Delta chartered 7 of the 8 national champions. It looks like since then, Delta has (at least) chartered 11 of the last 13 champions. Possibly 12 of 13, if someone else is able to verify LSU's charter provider.

This is bad news for us, because it looks like Delta just pulled out of LNK this year entirely. Is this our new rock bottom?

It goes deeper:

Amazingly, the first three College Football Playoffs (2015, 2016 & 2017) have only featured teams that are sponsored by Nike – Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma and Michigan State. Nike also currently sponsors 17 of the last 19 FBS National Champions. Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, LSU, and USC, who all won multiple championships from 1998 to 2017, are all currently sponsored by Nike. Auburn, the 2010 National Champions, are sponsored by Under Armour, and Miami (FL), the 2001 National Champions, are sponsored by Adidas.

FCS National Champions and Sponsors

In the FCS, Nike currently sponsors 11 of the last 17 (64.7 percent) National Champions. North Dakota State and Appalachian State won seven of the last 17 national championships combined, and Nike currently sponsors both schools. Eastern Washington, Delaware, Georgia Southern, and Massachusetts are FCS Champions who Adidas currently sponsors, while Western Kentucky University is the only champion since 1998 sponsored by Russell Athletics.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2015/nike-and-its-domination-of-college-football

I think the scales are tipped even more in favor of Nike in hoops.  We've made the wrong move every step of the way for 30 years!

5 hours ago, 49r said:

It goes deeper:

Amazingly, the first three College Football Playoffs (2015, 2016 & 2017) have only featured teams that are sponsored by Nike – Ohio State, Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma and Michigan State. Nike also currently sponsors 17 of the last 19 FBS National Champions. Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, LSU, and USC, who all won multiple championships from 1998 to 2017, are all currently sponsored by Nike. Auburn, the 2010 National Champions, are sponsored by Under Armour, and Miami (FL), the 2001 National Champions, are sponsored by Adidas.

FCS National Champions and Sponsors

In the FCS, Nike currently sponsors 11 of the last 17 (64.7 percent) National Champions. North Dakota State and Appalachian State won seven of the last 17 national championships combined, and Nike currently sponsors both schools. Eastern Washington, Delaware, Georgia Southern, and Massachusetts are FCS Champions who Adidas currently sponsors, while Western Kentucky University is the only champion since 1998 sponsored by Russell Athletics.

https://www.samford.edu/sports-analytics/fans/2015/nike-and-its-domination-of-college-football

I think the scales are tipped even more in favor of Nike in hoops.  We've made the wrong move every step of the way for 30 years!

Lol how are we the only ones to see this?????

On 1/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, HuskerFever said:

All of my favorite teams have won multiple titles in my lifetime. Being a fan of this basketball team is how things are balanced out.

Husker Football

Oakland/LA Raiders

Oakland A's 

SA Spurs (I'd give up a title here just to make it to the sweet sixteen)

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm starting to believe that the following happened when this person sold the soul of the basketball program:

Somebody: "So what's it going to take to start selling alcohol at Nebraska games?"

Administration: "It's not going to happen."

Somebody: "No, really. What's it going to take?"

Administration: "You're not going to like the answer."

Somebody: "Come on, it can't be all that bad. Tell me."

Administration: "We'll put massive investment into the basketball program and start taking it seriously. We'll build a new basketball facility, we'll build a really cool practice facility for basketball, we'll spend millions on a former NBA coach to lead the team, we'll have the highest rated recruiting class in recorded recruiting rankings history, and we'll give the program all the money they need for a recruiter and staff."

Somebody: "That's amazing! I can't believe it! I can't wait!"

Administration: "...but there's a catch."

Somebody: "Who cares? This is all I need to hear. Let's do it."

Administration: "Are you sure you don't want to hear..."

Somebody: "I'm in. Do that and we get alcohol at the games."

Administration: "Well... Hold my beer."