uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 15 - at Michigan State

uneblinstu

Tominaga bashing now?? He’s in his first year at this level.  He doesn’t have the athlete or size of McGowens, but has shown a high level of basketball IQ. He’s also heavily contributed to a couple of our wins so far this season. In an established role, he absolutely has a place on the team and in the rotation. 

9 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I don’t believe this.  There’s a role for him on this team,  it just probably is more of a role player vs starter.  Conversation reminds me of convos we had about Thor.

Thor is  way better player than Tominaga.

Let’s face it, if you have a “role” on a horrible B10 team then you aren’t a legit B10 player

1 hour ago, Jugular said:

Thor is  way better player than Tominaga.

Let’s face it, if you have a “role” on a horrible B10 team then you aren’t a legit B10 player

This is just silly logic. You could put any role player from any other team on this one and we would still be a bad team. And it has nothing to do with the role player.

Who plays well with Eduardo Andre?

I ask because it's clear we're better when Derrick is on the court, Derrick can't play for 40 minutes, and we need to figure out a way to keep things afloat when he's off the court.

Does one of the PGs work better with him? Does he play better with or without Keisei? Wilcher? Bryce? Does Mayen's body language effect him? Could you play him for 5 minutes with Keon or Lakes like they're the backup catcher who only goes out when the knuckleball guy is out there?

Would be interested in observations.

12 hours ago, HB said:

Eduardo getting 5 fouls in 8 minutes was impressive.  Not everyone can do that.   Kesei  was awful.   Exposed tonight as a player not suited for this level.   Walker the lone bright spot.  

Would have been nice if they just didn't foul in the last 10 seconds or so and let the clock run out and then we only lose by 10 and Eduardo stays in the game.

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I’d be thrilled to have Walker back. I’ll also understand if he decides to pursue whatever is next. 

He's like opposite of Adrian Martinez for me, haha. I had grown tired of watching him and was ready for a fresh start. Derrick Walker can play here every year for the rest of his life as far as I am concerned. 

12 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Walker has no NBA future, definitely a International guy. Could being at NU and making NIL $ be more beneficial?

Is NIL really that great?  Especially for a player like him in Lincoln.  Im sure he'll want to move on and play overseas and make a lot more $ if he wants to continue to playm. 

Just now, coughunter said:

Is NIL really that great?  Especially for a player like him in Lincoln.  Im sure he'll want to move on and play overseas and make a lot more $ if he wants to continue to playm. 

NIL money, as far as I understand, is just a money laundering scheme from the boosters/donors to the players. If you want a specific player, you're basically agreeing on a number. NIL is useless, and nothing more than "beer money" if you're trying to do the traditional route through like Blake Lawrence's company or whatever. So I guess what I am saying is, if you want "Derrick Walker" to return, you can offer effectively a contract of whatever he wants, and it'll get funneled to him through some NIL scheme. 

1 minute ago, basketballjones said:

NIL money, as far as I understand, is just a money laundering scheme from the boosters/donors to the players. If you want a specific player, you're basically agreeing on a number. NIL is useless, and nothing more than "beer money" if you're trying to do the traditional route through like Blake Lawrence's company or whatever. So I guess what I am saying is, if you want "Derrick Walker" to return, you can offer effectively a contract of whatever he wants, and it'll get funneled to him through some NIL scheme. 

I just dont see someone giving him the money that would be equal to or an amount that he would make overseas unless he doesnt want to take that route.  I think we make NIL more to be then reality as a whole.  Especially from the starting 5 at NE.  I guess I could be wrong.

11 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Along with that, I think I completely over estimated our athleticism. We’re really missing some strong, dawg-mentality 6’3”-6’6” guys who get after it. Big issue with generally athleticism. 

I think what sparked this was observing that CJ Wilcher, who is 6'5", cannot dunk in a basketball game. Like... That's sad. If you are above 6'3", and a college athlete, and CAN'T dunk - you better be the most dead-eye 3pt shooter alive. Kind of unacceptable, imo. 

2 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I just dont see someone giving him the money that would be equal to or an amount that he would make overseas unless he doesnt want to take that route.  I think we make NIL more to be then reality as a whole.  Especially from the starting 5 at NE.  I guess I could be wrong.

No idea. But what is basically happening, is these kids are setting up shell LLCs, selling some kind of useless product or service - and their product or service is being paid for by the boosters/donors. So a kid can effectively get whatever he wants if the market asks for it. 

But you are correct - as a whole - this NIL things is being blown out of proportion. The average college athlete isn't getting anything more than like $50 here and there to tweet something about Runza. 

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think what sparked this was observing that CJ Wilcher, who is 6'5", cannot dunk in a basketball game. Like... That's sad. If you are above 6'3", and a college athlete, and CAN'T dunk - you better be the most dead-eye 3pt shooter alive. Kind of unacceptable, imo. 

This reminds me of many years ago when we had a 6-5 starting center named Lenard Johnson who could not dunk.   I remember sitting in the stands behind the basket when we were warming up and Jaime Williams (TE on the football team then) was giving Lenard crap about not being able to dunk it - even during warmups.   Lenard just gave him this embarrassed little smile back and Jaime was cracking everybody up.   Of course, Lenard was backed up by another center named Terry Smith who was not much taller than Lenard but could throw down some monster dunks.    That was also the team that went to Columbia Missouri and beat the undefeated and #1 ranked Missouri team with top NBA prospect Steve Stipanovich at center.

42 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I'm confused with your statement because CJ Wilcher absolutely can dunk.

After that debacle in the Michigan game followed by Auburn's burnout, hope appeared lost. Now there is at least some hope once Trey returns. We shall see how much this team improves defensively, definite need for Bryce to learn to play sufficient defense. It is painful to watch him play straight up one-and-one, as he's blown by regularly. His brother will likely help when he's back in the lineup.

Tominaga's lack of size really becomes apparent when we're playing against big teams like Michigan St because he has to play with other small guards like Kobe or Verge.  If you have him out there with Trey McGowens or Dalano Banton handling the ball then it's workable because Tominaga can guard the PG. 

When Trey comes back he'll be back to a guy off the bench who plays depending on how his shots are falling.

26 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Tominaga's lack of size really becomes apparent when we're playing against big teams like Michigan St because he has to play with other small guards like Kobe or Verge.  If you have him out there with Trey McGowens or Dalano Banton handling the ball then it's workable because Tominaga can guard the PG. 

When Trey comes back he'll be back to a guy off the bench who plays depending on how his shots are falling.

Yeah. Big problem. Size and athleticism. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Man did you see his attempt last night? Rough. Did not look athletic. 

IDK, MSU also had chased down a couple already in the game and Hauser was on his hip. Seemed more like he was playing it safe than it was he couldn't get up.

Edited by uneblinstu