Iowa Game Thread

Fastbreaker

On 1/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, Fastbreaker said:

Please only one thread 

Thanks for your input.  I will add an "IOWA GAME DAY" thread on Sunday, and on subsequent game days.  Newly added 'Game Day' Topics, have served the purpose of a "Game Today" reminder, for some of us with less stellar memories, for years. Sorry this got confusing. It will serve as both a reminder, and be the one thread, as you suggest, for game day comments.    Now, fingers crossed I don't forget.  

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

Watched NW take it to Iowa last night.  At Iowa even.  Caitlin Clark is still a good offense player but defense is an after thought. .

Watched it too.  In this game anyway, they..........in generalities..

Iowa just doesn't seem to have it all together.  I think they missed a bunch of games...canceled, 4 or 5.  They surprisingly aren't very deep. Only played 6 or 7. (were some out with covid, injuries ?)

Have about three that score much, and not strong defense as said. Chizano (sp) isn't good at handling the ball, or defense.  But she bulls her way around in the paint.  Get her out of the paint and she's easily beat to the basket. They aren't hitting lots of 3's, like in the past..  Not hard core rebounders generally.

If we use a similar defensive plan against Iowa, as we did against Mich...we should have a good chance. If we run up and down the court a lot, with a speed game against them.... may wear them out.

NW is young..newer team. A little helter skelter loose play, if that makes sense. Plays pretty hard though. Hustle sort of makes up for lack of lots of skilled play from the young ones.  A zone defense might be tough for them to score against. Plays at a faster pace than Iowa.

Look a little like Mich St. actually. But not nearly as skilled as Mich.

Edited by redsteve

5 hours ago, redsteve said:

NW is young..newer team. A little helter skelter loose play, if that makes sense. Plays pretty hard though. Hustle sort of makes up for lack of lots of skilled play from the young ones.  A zone defense might be tough for them to score against. Plays at a faster pace than Iowa.

Look a little like Mich St. actually. But not nearly as skilled as Mich.

yes.....nw a little helter skelter, but, they are very athletic. i was pretty impressed with the youngsters. i could see them continue to grow (if the games go on as scheduled). going out on a limb a bit, but, might be a team you don't want to play come tourney time. we'll see.

iowa---clark is going to get her points. her 3's aren't dropping like last season.....but, she can score in so many ways. pretty sure iowa lost 2 players to season ending injury before season started and another is in a boot right now. can't remember her name, but, when the one came in for Czinano there wasn't much of a drop off. so, yeah, their depth is ailing a bit. iowa still has a potent offense in their pocket...i think they can go off at anytime. they just don't seem to be quite the threat consistently on offense as last season. yep, defense still suspect. 

should be very interesting game on sunday....like huskers chances. even if they don't quite match the play from the last game.

Edited by whoopdeedoo