uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 14 - vs. Ohio State

uneblinstu

Defensive energy is good

Rebounding is still rough, but seeing a bit more effort  there too. Ed had a beauty. Maybe the best of the year. 

Still like the offense better with Kobe in there

Body language seems better over what it was a few weeks ago. That’s good. 

That weave play where Walker came wide open was nice!

Feels like Fred calling plays and them having less freedom is the right call for this year. 

To only be down 2 at halftime and OSU hitting four more threes than NU is pretty fortunate 

The guy at halftime came out super aggressive. that’s probably a lesson to future contestants. 

It was nice to see Bryce get back to making some plays. 

Despite his growth, Ed does get lost sometimes, leaving things wide open behind him for a lay-in or rebound 

Then the layin to tie the game may have been the best finish of the season for him. I think everyone in the building thought Bryce was going to take the three. 

Did a better job of getting to the line tonight. That’s how they stayed in the game. 

Looks like they got some things right in the break. 

The play to go up 5 on the Lat slam was a gem! (But he’s gotta get back! OMG)

How long did Verge sit the second half? Seemed like the last 15 minutes at least. That was interesting 

Brutal misses from Lat. he’s had a pretty good

game for the most part today, but that stung. Really needed that thing to end on regulation 

Overtime: ugh. Damn

Creighton, NC State and tonight give me hope this team can compete.I saw long stretches of the team I expected to see more of this year. But the guy punches need to come to an end at some point… Getting Trey back will help a lot. 

View full article

Edited by uneblinstu

Mayan's gotta have pictures of this staff doing naughty things to goats. I can't explain this any other way. 

However, I only had 1 hr. earmarked to watch this loss as I figured it would be over early. I credit the Huskers for forcing me to burn far more time to recieve the same punishment I usually get. Salut!

5 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I have never seen a player, in my playing, coaching, fandom - receive more of a benefit of the doubt that they’re gonna do something good - than Lat Mayen. This guy, must be, the greatest practice player ever. 

Lat has started 39 games in a row for Nebraska. He’s shooting 21.7% from 3 and 31.8% from the floor. He is a terrible basketball player, to put it bluntly. And he played 31 minutes tonight. 

I don’t even like Keon Edwards much, but I’d rather see him play 31 minutes and shoot bricks and choke in key situations. At least we could chalk it up to inexperience. Hell, I’d give Trevor Lakes a chance at this point. Lat is who he is, a stand outside the arc 3 point shooter who is the worst shooter on the team. 

Edited by GoBigFred

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I have never seen a player, in my playing, coaching, fandom - receive more of a benefit of the doubt that they’re gonna do something good - than Lat Mayen. This guy, must be, the greatest practice player ever. 

Btw - before anyone says this is hindsight - I was SCREAMING at the TV to get Lat out on our two inbounds before OT. How do you not have your STARTING POINT GUARD in the game in at that time?

Yep.  I’m still trying to figure out what Lat contributes on the court.  Every time he puts the ball on the floor my response is “Oh s***!”.

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

Lat has started 39 games in a row for Nebraska. He’s shooting 21.7% from 3 and 31.8% from the floor. He is a terrible basketball player, to put it bluntly. And he played 31 minutes tonight. 

I don’t even like Keon Edwards much, but I’d rather see him play 31 minutes and shoot bricks and choke in key situations. At least we could chalk it up to inexperience. 

I truly don’t understand it. I mean he must just be a DUDE in practice. Like lights out in shooting drills, great in scrimmages, talks, knows sets, etc… 

2 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I don’t even like Keon Edwards much, but I’d rather see him play 31 minutes and shoot bricks and choke in key situations. At least we could chalk it up to inexperience. 

On top of that he may be the worst dribbler in college basketball and a D+ defender at best. 

Just now, basketballjones said:

I truly don’t understand it. I mean he must just be a DUDE in practice. Like lights out in shooting drills, great in scrimmages, talks, knows sets, etc… 

still doesn't matter if you have a massive sample size in real games indicating that this great practice player doesn't show up to games. 

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think what’s going on is he’s facing our defense in practice and when facing our defense, anybody can go off from 3. Literally anybody, because we let them. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. Lat is a great 3 point shooter in the eyes of our staff because he faces our trash ass defense every day. Game numbers don’t lie. It’s time for Fred to grow a pair and sit him. He’s been a huge liability for 1.5 years now and we can’t afford many liabilities.

and I’m not saying this loss is all on him, but let’s face it. His open 3 with 2:17 left he was practically fading away he didn’t want to shoot it so bad, and the free throw line at the end looked like the last place on earth he wanted to be. Both barely grazed the front of the rim. And that’s a senior. Time to move on to someone else who won’t wet themselves at the end.

Edited by GoBigFred

Was at the game and I liked the overall team performance. Couple good thoughts and couple bad. Needed to end it in regulation. Couldn't let it get to OT. 

-I'm very very interested in why verge was benched the entire second half. I didn't think he was playing that bad but his leash must be very short. 

-Bryce, Walker, and CJ all played tough. 

-didn't like the shot to end regulation at all. 

-Lat, well, I've talked about him a lot. Good dive to the cup for the dunk but after that it was a disasterclass. Bricked two FTs that likely cost them the game. 

-Andre is one of the players i try to key in on while he's in, and today was probably the cleanest game he's played in a while. Only had one moving screen turnover and a few VERY patient layups. 

Overall, I was impressed, but they needed to close, so it doesn't matter. MSU's guard play is shaky, so if verge can take advantage of that with the overall team play today I'll be happy. The faster Trey can get back, the better. 

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Btw - before anyone says this is hindsight - I was SCREAMING at the TV to get Lat out on our two inbounds before OT. How do you not have your STARTING POINT GUARD in the game in at that time?

Hindsight.  After he dunked it you were feeling really good.  He's a 75% ft shooter.  He hits one or two and NE wins and this isnt even a thought.

3 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Hindsight.  After he dunked it you were feeling really good.  He's a 75% ft shooter.  He hits one or two and NE wins and this isnt even a thought.

Lat has shot 12 free throws this year and is a terrible, terrible ball handler and decision maker. Was, absolutely, 100% not hindsight with me trying to get him out of the game.

Btw - after his dunk, Einstein decided to flex to the camera for ten minutes and not get below the ball in D transition while others covered for him for a bit - allowing the 3.

2 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Lat has shot 12 free throws this year and is a terrible, terrible ball handler and decision maker. Was, absolutely, 100% not hindsight with me trying to get him out of the game.

Btw - after his dunk, Einstein decided to flex to the camera for ten minutes and not get below the ball in D transition while others covered for him for a bit - allowing the 3.

He is a career 75% ft shooter.  Who would you like on the floor instead in that situation? 17 combined points from Liddell and Key.  Pick your poison after the fact I guess.

Edited by coughunter