Ohio State (8-2) vs. Nebraska (6-7) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

To me, this loss is falls on the moronic decision to have Lat with the ball in his hands at the end of the game during a full court press in a clear fouling situation for OSU. Lat bricked both FTs and once again, Nebraska Men’s Athletics gonna Nebraska Men’s Athletics… it ended up being what Nebraska Men’s Athletics always is.

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. again. this isn't a bug. it's a feature. and this was probably their best chance to upset a good team not wearing their sunday best. 

and the shit show continues. but at least it was close-ish. 

let's hope they react to this better than they did the other game that played out like this. 

question: "why does your team manage to suck so much in every critical situation?"

answer: "well, generic reporter type, it's been brought to my attention that we haven't adequately practiced celebrating wins yet, and until I think we're ready to do that, it's important that we continue to lose."

question: "................................."

18 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Up 72-67 with 36 seconds left at home and we blow it. I mean what else do you expect at this point. We needed to make one more play, just one, and instead we shit our damn pants. 

I hate to say this. I REALLY hate to say this, but ...

At 72-67 with 36 seconds to play, I was still thinking to myself, we're nowhere near out of the woods and there's a good chance we're going to find a way to lose.

And, sure enough.

So, I guess on the one hand, I was smart enough to maintain low expectations so that I wasn't crushed by the emotional impact of the loss. On the other hand, it sucks that I've resorted to expecting the worst in every situation so that I don't build myself up for disappointment anymore.

One thing that pissed me off is that we couldn't inbound the ball on that 2nd-to-last possession in regulation and had to burn a timeout, WHICH we really could have used after Liddell hit that 2nd FT to tie the game.

At that point, we had 8 seconds left and, if we'd had a TO, we could have gotten the ball across half court, called time, and had Hoiberg (or someone -- Abdelmassih?) design an inbounds play from the sideline to get literally anyone open. I think the last play of regulation was Kobe Webster trying to drive and missing and then Walker missing the put-back? I just don't think that was the shot we probably would have wanted. But, maybe it's as good as anything they would have designed if they'd had 5 seconds from the sideline. Maybe it's too much to hope that they could have designed something for a sidelines out-of-bounds play with 5 seconds left that would have given them any better of a look.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I hate to say this. I REALLY hate to say this, but ...

At 72-67 with 36 seconds to play, I was still thinking to myself, we're nowhere near out of the woods and there's a good chance we're going to find a way to lose.

And, sure enough.

So, I guess on the one hand, I was smart enough to maintain low expectations so that I wasn't crushed by the emotional impact of the loss. On the other hand, it sucks that I've resorted to expecting the worst in every situation so that I don't build myself up for disappointment anymore.

One thing that pissed me off is that we couldn't inbound the ball on that 2nd-to-last possession in regulation and had to burn a timeout, WHICH we really could have used after Liddell hit that 2nd FT to tie the game.

At that point, we had 8 seconds left and, if we'd had a TO, we could have gotten the ball across half court, called time, and had Hoiberg (or someone -- Abdelmassih?) design an inbounds play from the sideline to get literally anyone open. I think the last play of regulation was Kobe Webster trying to drive and missing and then Walker missing the put-back? I just don't think that was the shot we probably would have wanted. But, maybe it's as good as anything they would have designed if they'd had 5 seconds from the sideline. Maybe it's too much to hope that they could have designed something for a sidelines out-of-bounds play with 5 seconds left that would have given them any better of a look.

To be fair to your point, they had a timeout when lidell was shooting. Used one after his first FT make. Apparently the play design was for Bryce, which I get. But Kobe ended up with the ball, and I hated it from that point. So they did draw a play up, just wanted those extra 3 or so seconds. 

Not inbounding the ball that first time was bad though. 

10 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not those five. A different five.

I've been having premonitions of this.  NU beats four covid-riddled teams to reach the finals and ends up playing a team with a couple of football players who were called on a week earlier; Kent Pavelka's call for the season-ending play starts out as "Noah from the arc..."

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

😄 I will be thrilled if they go 1-4 in the next 5 it's a dandy of a schedule. At that point they are pretty much out of the tourney. 

But seriously if this team SOMEHOW made the NIT would we not consider that a success?

At the beginning of the season, making the NIT was considered a success to me.

I was hoping for more (think I was predicting around 18 wins with this team at the time), but wanted to see *any* signs of progress this season (aka 0.500 and above) which would've been a success to me.