Where to go from here?

kldm64

I've had season tickets for 17 years now and have sat through my share of bad basketball season but this might be the worse one ever.  Even with the roster flip the last 2 years, still felt like we could win more than 7 games.  I drank the Kool-aid and really thought this was going to be the breakthrough year.  Man, was I wrong.  This team is in no way enjoyable to watch.  They are doing less with more talent.  Fred doesn't seem to have any answers or a clue to how to even fix it.  He just let's this team have free rein to shoot whenever and from where ever it wants to.  I used to think Doc had to short of leash when he pulled players for making one mistake but Fred has way to long of leash.  We have no movement of offense, the ball just sticks in Verge's hand or Bryce.  I watch other teams where the ball moves quickly and it ends up with an open shot.  Fred talks how good of shooting team this is and I'm sure in practice, that is true but in a game, it feels like everyone has to create their own shot and we never get wide open looks.  

Can't tell if it's a chemistry issue or Fred is just allowing games to be a showcase for the kids to try and get to the NBA but either way, this is an absolute train wreck.  I keep hearing that if we fired Scott and Fred who are you going to get but at this point, I'd almost take my chances.  Can it be any worse?  We might not even get to 7 wins this year.  I felt when they kept Frost that the standards have definitely been lowered at Nebraska that you keep a coach who has a horrible winning percentage and can't even make a bowl game in 4 straight years.  I'm thinking the same thing about Fred who most likely won't reach double digits wins in three straight years.  

Fred did great things at Iowa State but has done nothing since then.  It's looking more and more like this is not a match made in heaven.  It might be time to look in a new direction as you can tell from the crowd size that people have no interest or faith in Fred anymore.  As much as I was thinking we'd be building statues of Fred outside PBA, I think it's time to part ways after this year.

I've had season tickets on some level or another for 30 years (parents before me, then college, etc) but I'm seriously considering not renewing. It's hard to get to games now being in Omaha and having two little ones who are busy, let alone mention that the basketball is AWFUL and that I can't even give tickets away. I did not expect to feel this way at this point.

Ive gone to 2 games this year and dont plan on going to anymore.  Ive had season tickets for 10+ years.  Doubt I will renew next year.  Whats the motivation to drive from Omaha for this when i can watch at home.  How will next year be better?  Wilhelm, Keisei, Cj, Keon, Andre are the players that may be back. Id be shocked if either Mcgowens is back.   Add 4 newcomers and thats 9 players plus 2 that are reshirting.  Is that a team that looks like it can take the next step?  Im sure some of the returning players are gone.  So what is really going to improve in year 4?

10 hours ago, kldm64 said:

As much as I was thinking we'd be building statues of Fred outside PBA, I think it's time to part ways after this year.

There is no doubt in my mind that FH will be gone at the end of this season. He'll either leave on his own, doubtful, or will be let go by Trev.

The thought of this only brings me sadness. One, because of what we all thought could have been. Two, because we will be hiring our 5th coach in 25yrs and having to go through growing pains of a rebuild and a few seasons of struggle as we attempt to dig ourselves out of the basement. 

Out there, somewhere, is a coach who can turn this around. My fear is that coach hasn't been born yet 😞😞😞

I am in general a big college basketball fan and will thus watch many quality games to help me forget, if not for 2hrs, that I'm a Nebrasketball fan.

Personally, I just won't watch much basketball this year.  I certainly won't be rearranging my schedule this year to watch Nebraska.  If I miss a game here or there, then oh well.  And I probably won't watch any college basketball this season outside of the Huskers, since there's no need to track B1G Standings, opponents' strength of schedule, etc.

Maybe I'll make the 45 drive down to SLC and catch a couple Jazz games.  I've had a hard time jumping on board their bandwagon, mostly because I'm just not a huge NBA guy.  But perhaps this is the year that motivates me to do so. 

29 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Personally, I just won't watch much basketball this year.  I certainly won't be rearranging my schedule this year to watch Nebraska.  If I miss a game here or there, then oh well.  And I probably won't watch any college basketball this season outside of the Huskers, since there's no need to track B1G Standings, opponents' strength of schedule, etc.

Maybe I'll make the 45 drive down to SLC and catch a couple Jazz games.  I've had a hard time jumping on board their bandwagon, mostly because I'm just not a huge NBA guy.  But perhaps this is the year that motivates me to do so. 

You could go to a Utes game instead.  I probably would be inclined to go check them out if I were in your shoes.

Edited by 49r

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

You could go to a Utes game instead.  I probably would be inclined to go check them out if I were in your shoes.

I'm more inclined to go to a Weber State game than a Utes game.  WSU is less than 10 minutes from my house, and I wouldn't feel like I was cheating on my Huskers by rooting for another Power 5 team in red.  Although with Craig Smih running the show down in SLC and Brandon Ubel on his staff, the Huskers/Utes connection is admittedly appealing.

12 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm more inclined to go to a Weber State game than a Utes game.  WSU is less than 10 minutes from my house, and I wouldn't feel like I was cheating on my Huskers by rooting for another Power 5 team in red.  Although with Craig Smih running the show down in SLC and Brandon Ubel on his staff, the Huskers/Utes connection is admittedly appealing.

You could at least go on March 5th when they play Colorado.  You could root for Smith and Ubel and also against the Buffs.

12 minutes ago, 49r said:

You could at least go on March 5th when they play Colorado.  You could root for Smith and Ubel and also against the Buffs.

Should be a great game. I hear the Buffs are really good. 

And at that memory, I'm going to go start drinking. Yes, I'm well aware it's 9:44 a.m.

Been to at the least 3 games a year, except for last year, since 1965.  Been season ticket holder since 1988.  

So been pretty much through it all.  Still will go, cheer and then feel bad for the kids and staff if we don’t win.

Happy for them if we do win.

Do live in Lincoln so makes it very easy.  It is my boys and I time, wouldn’t trade that in…  it can be tough though.

I just love going to the games to much to stop…🙂

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Been to at the least 3 games a year, except for last year, since 1965.  Been season ticket holder since 1988.  

So been pretty much through it all.  Still will go, cheer and then feel bad for the kids and staff if we don’t win.

Happy for them if we do win.

Do live in Lincoln so makes it very easy.  It is my boys and I time, wouldn’t trade that in…  it can be tough though.

I just love going to the games to much to stop…🙂

Yeah, my son and I drive 8 hours for at least 1-2 games a year and that won't stop.  Fandom is often irrational but I wouldn't trade it in.  This has and always will be my favorite team to root for despite how depressing they are currently to watch.  There is always next year and a hell of a lot of time this year...including hopefully a five game stretch in the BIG tournament...see there is the irrational part 😃