uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 12 - vs. Kansas State

uneblinstu

40 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Darian isn't going to put these expectations on Tucker publicly, but I get the feeling from previous interviews that he thinks Tucker is his version of Doug McDermott. Tucker is more perimeter oriented, but there are some similarities in their games. He's got great size and strength (6'7" 210) for a wing.

Uh.... I must not be thinking of the same kid, lol. I did not know he was 6'7". Did he grow after hs? 

The meat of the Creighton practices I have been to where when DD was an assistant. He is incredible. Full of passion, energy, fire... but he is an absolute MONSTER about the details. His scouts are just, well they're just f-ing insane. And he brought it up a notch when they were playing NU. He's also the best bigs coach out there, in my opinion. Guys love him and respect him - but he's not their best friend by any means. Which is exactly what we need here. 

10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Uh.... I must not be thinking of the same kid, lol. I did not know he was 6'7". Did he grow after hs? 

The meat of the Creighton practices I have been to where when DD was an assistant. He is incredible. Full of passion, energy, fire... but he is an absolute MONSTER about the details. His scouts are just, well they're just f-ing insane. And he brought it up a notch when they were playing NU. He's also the best bigs coach out there, in my opinion. Guys love him and respect him - but he's not their best friend by any means. Which is exactly what we need here. 

Might’ve grown a little and added weight/strength since he played for OSA. He’s always been a big kid though. 

16 hours ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . for a break from gloom, let’s try this:

1.  Played pretty good defense a lot of the game;

2.  Am impressed with Tominaga—if any of his many rim-out threes had gone in, the game would have a better complexion—surely those will start falling? 

3.  How did K State beat Illinois?

But Tominaga's didn't go in and haven't been going in any where near the percentage we were told they would. 

Agree defense was decent a lot of the game until we needed stops.

13 hours ago, HuskerBB said:

Good post.

I think to say Bryce's effort on D is "subpar" is a vast overstatement.   Hard to think of anyone we have had that plays with less effort.   Sad given that Trey does play hard most of the time.   Apparently Bryce has always been able to get by by being more talented than the competition - but eventually that catches up to everyone.

What is perhaps most disappointing is that Fred seems to be far too "patient" with the bad decisions and poor effort by the team generally.   I believe in positive coaching - but there have to be consequences for some of this poor play.  Sometimes I wonder if he is putting in the same effort to coaching the team as Bryce is putting into his defense :)

Spot on both points.  Bryce has no clue how to keep his guy in front of him and never seems interested in boxing said man out.

Fred needs to start pulling kids for playground shots or just flat out poor shots. Know there is a happy medium between that and making kids afraid to shoot, but this is god awful basketball and just painful to watch.  Turned off what ended up being a very good NFL game to watch this s#$@ show.  Not sure I do that again.

14 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

My hope is that something clicks and things will change. I realize they are 18-22 year-olds. I will never stop rooting for them and hoping for the best.  Right now, I just don't see how this improves. 

Were you seeing a change in our offense during this game or were we simply hitting shots at the start?

57 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't think this will help with the shot selection issues.

The real tragic part about Bryce's usage on this team is that from what I can tell he is likely to be highly coachable. 

I want to agree that he is highly coachable, because he seems like a great kid. But coachable kids generally don’t stand straight up and play matador defense possession after possession. 

I saw a pretty big improvement defensively in strategy for about 70% of the game.  We were running them off and contesting threes with good effort and doing our best to rotate, but when it came down to being fatigued and playing, our effort went with it.  

I'm typically optimistic to a fault.  I think we probably win that game with Trey.  Our lack of depth really hurt us defensively.

There are things happening offensively that look like elementary principles being installed in a D1 basketball team.  This is where AAU has taken us.  I don't blame the players as much as I blame the system they likely come from.  The 5 out is not tiring to defend whether you are going against great athletes or not.  It can be a deadly offense with shooters, but it still doesn't make it as exhausting as one with constant attacks, cuts, and physical screens.  KSU didn't shoot well, and I give our guys credit for that, but they relentlessly moved and attacked which wore us down in the end.  

Someone else already pointed out the missed front end of 1 and 1 free throws.  Those are huge shots.  

Someone else also pointed out the warmups.  I was LIVID watching their globetrotter show.  Wtf are you doing getting worse at basketball before the game starts?  

19 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I saw a pretty big improvement defensively in strategy for about 70% of the game.  We were running them off and contesting threes with good effort and doing our best to rotate, but when it came down to being fatigued and playing, our effort went with it.  

I'm typically optimistic to a fault.  I think we probably win that game with Trey.  Our lack of depth really hurt us defensively.

There are things happening offensively that look like elementary principles being installed in a D1 basketball team.  This is where AAU has taken us.  I don't blame the players as much as I blame the system they likely come from.  The 5 out is not tiring to defend whether you are going against great athletes or not.  It can be a deadly offense with shooters, but it still doesn't make it as exhausting as one with constant attacks, cuts, and physical screens.  KSU didn't shoot well, and I give our guys credit for that, but they relentlessly moved and attacked which wore us down in the end.  

Someone else already pointed out the missed front end of 1 and 1 free throws.  Those are huge shots.  

Someone else also pointed out the warmups.  I was LIVID watching their globetrotter show.  Wtf are you doing getting worse at basketball before the game starts?  

Please don't blame the AAU system for this. Players have never been more ready to play than they are now, but they need to be coached. Any number of schools seem to be able to run an offense, pre-game drills, all of it. All of the blame lies with this coaching staff.

19 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Please don't blame the AAU system for this. Players have never been more ready to play than they are now, but they need to be coached. Any number of schools seem to be able to run an offense, pre-game drills, all of it. All of the blame lies with this coaching staff.

The issue is if you run down and jack up a 3 without passing or getting into any type of offensen what is the motivation for playing offense.  Players run down only to have to run right back the other way cause someone jacked a shot they could of got at anytime.  Its almost as if other players stand around hoping they will touch the ball not wasting energy to get open cause they wont get a chance of having the ball passed to them.  The quick contested or step back shots or driving in the lane possession killers need accountability.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Exactly. It’s not the AAU system’s fault. It’s our coaches’ fault for playing an AAU system and allowing it. Creighton recruits players from AAU systems too. But when they get to creighton, they play team-oriented basketball. 

Edited by GoBigFred

15 minutes ago, 49r said:

Reading goEMAW.com this afternoon and I see that they are just about as upset in victory as we are in defeat.  They want Bruce fired probably more than we want Fred fired, FWIW.

I was thinking the same thing watching the game. Bruce has had some lean years and is probably coaching for his job this season.

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I was thinking the same thing watching the game. Bruce has had some lean years and is probably coaching for his job this season.

He's also won multiple conference titles at K-State and took them to the Elite Eight.  We would name streets in Lincoln and give a guaranteed lifetime contract for a coach that could do that for us at Nebraska.

1 minute ago, 49r said:

He's also won multiple conference titles at K-State and took them to the Elite Eight.  We would name streets in Lincoln and give a guaranteed lifetime contract for a coach that could do that for us at Nebraska.

If life was fair, a pretty good basketball coach like Bruce Weber wouldn't have spent the majority of his career following up Bill Self and Frank Martin

7 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Exactly. It’s not the AAU system’s fault. It’s our coaches’ fault for playing an AAU system and allowing it. Creighton recruits players from AAU systems too. But when they get to creighton, they play team-oriented basketball. 

In what way?  I totally agree that their individual offensive skills are developed very well in AAU, but that is at the expense of a lot of other areas of the game, including defensive fundamentals. This is the ongoing debate in secondary level basketball, and we’re seeing it unfold now.  Most of these players would be sought after in any era, but a kid like Bryce would’ve arrived on campus ready to play defense 15 years ago.  It’s not just ability—it’s kids that have never been asked to play defense before or build a knowledge of the layers of complex offense.  That sort of comprehensive knowledge makes learning systems in college more intuitive.  I think that’s where Fred is screwing up:  he is assuming intuition where there isn’t any in his players, and both ends of the court are falling apart because of that assumption.  

8 hours ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

In what way?  I totally agree that their individual offensive skills are developed very well in AAU, but that is at the expense of a lot of other areas of the game, including defensive fundamentals. This is the ongoing debate in secondary level basketball, and we’re seeing it unfold now.  Most of these players would be sought after in any era, but a kid like Bryce would’ve arrived on campus ready to play defense 15 years ago.  It’s not just ability—it’s kids that have never been asked to play defense before or build a knowledge of the layers of complex offense.  That sort of comprehensive knowledge makes learning systems in college more intuitive.  I think that’s where Fred is screwing up:  he is assuming intuition where there isn’t any in his players, and both ends of the court are falling apart because of that assumption.  

I've watched Marquette play Illinois and Wisky with multiple freshmen on the floor and they play GATA defense because Shaka Smart makes them. Coaches at every level whine that the kids weren't taught "the fundamentals" at the lower level. It's BS. It's a copout because they want to spend their time putting in their "genius" schemes instead of running drills. Wilcher played at Xavier, which is a defense-first team. So his defensive problems aren't because he played AAU ball. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
missing word

36 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I've watched Marquette play Illinois and Wisky with multiple freshmen on the floor and they play GATA defense because Shaka Smart makes them. Coaches at every level whine that the kids weren't taught "the fundamentals" at the lower level. It's BS. It's a copout because they want to spend their time putting in their "genius" schemes instead of running drills. Wilcher played at Xavier, which is a defense-first team. So his defensive problems aren't because he played AAU ball. 

I just don't think these guys are completely bought into the defensive scheme more than anything. They have the ability to defend. But don't. Because of either confusion within the system or just because they just flat out don't have the desire to. It's very odd.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

That’s basically what I said.   I don’t think we’re disagreeing.  I think Fred is thinking about his time at ISU and what players could do when they arrived on campus without him having to get in their face.  Same with Doc.  

It’s a different game now and coaches like ours  are going to have to do exactly what you said, only from day one rather than halfway through the season.