uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 12 - vs. Kansas State

uneblinstu

I'm at loss, a complete loss. Went to this game with my son to get out the house while my daughter and wife where baking Christmas goodies. I don't regret going as time with my son is never wasted time. This is just more bad basketball.

We don't do anything well at all.

Whatever offensive system we are running needs to be shit canned... now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We need to stop taking 3's.

I think every Bryce 3 attempt was either fading away or floating to his right during the shot. 

Edwardo is a walking foul and after this 4th one, when he went to the bench I thought for split second he was going to walk off to the locker room. He looked like he wanted to quit.

This is not to say that I don't think either one of those players couldn't be very productive, but is how they are coached to play.

You hear FH in post game talking about "good looks." This means he is happy with this offensive system it's just that shots aren't dropping. 

I'll still go to a few more games as my kids schedule permit because they enjoy the experience. At this point though it is absolute torture.

Attendance has already dropped. A late afternoon Sunday game in December with about as favorable weather as you could hope for should have been packed.

This is going to get worse, way worse.

Notes for UNL

• Alonzo Verge Jr. scored a game-high 21 points, his fourth game this season and 16th time in his career surpassing the 20-point mark.

Verge’s 21-point effort marked 10th 20-point game of the season.

• Verge Jr. tied this career-high with four steals for the fourth time in his career.
  • Verge Jr. dished out a team-high five assists, recording his sixth game of the year with at least five assists.
  • Bryce McGowens had 14 points, scoring in double-figures for the eighth time this season.
  • The Husker defense forced a season-high 12 steals. The previous season-high for the Big Red was 11 in a four-OT loss at NC State.
  • Kelsei Tominaga tied his career-high with three steals on Sunday (also vs. Western Illinois and Auburn)
  • Derrick Walker Jr. finished with nine rebounds, the fifth time this season he has grabbed eight or more boards
    Nebraska caused 19 K-State turnovers, the second-most by a Nebraska opponent this season. One shy of NC-State’s 20 in the four-OT game.

22 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

I'm at loss, a complete loss. Went to this game with my son to get out the house while my daughter and wife where baking Christmas goodies. I don't regret going as time with my son is never wasted time. This is just more bad basketball.

In the end, that's  what it's all about.  

1 minute ago, OmahaHusker said:

Devries just signed a 10 year contract with Drake. We don’t have to cash to buy that out. On top of buying FH out. 

That isn't really how that works. I'm sure the reason for the contract extension is not because of his base salary but the incentives.

My guess he makes around $500k/yr. A negotiated buyout of around $2m would be all that it takes.

25 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Devries just signed a 10 year contract with Drake. We don’t have to cash to buy that out. On top of buying FH out. 

If we move on from Fred, we will have to negotiate a buyout with someone. Negotiating with Drake would cost a lot less than negotiating with a Power 5 athletic

department. Or we could just run a few years with Fred and live with the outcome, which is trending towards atrocious. But hey, Trev is letting Frost run it back. Maybe he doesn’t have high standards at all. 

6 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

Generally speaking, I am a glass half-full type of guy. I usually do not comment on the day of a loss, but...here goes. I simply can't believe that a guy with Hoiberg's college coaching track record would put together a group of guys who have such a low basketball IQs. The way it's going right now, I can't fathom a scenario where this group of guys will will ever gel into a team that can be competitive against legit competition. We have nobody. - absolutely nobody - who is good at guarding the basketball on the perimeter. We let guys into the paint with little to no resistance. 

Offensively, we have only 2 guys (excluding Trey) who can generate their own shots, Bryce and Verge. Neither of them know how to do so within the flow of the offense. Both of them are on the lower end of the basketball IQ. Neither of them seem to understand game situations. Most of the time Bryce will not move without the ball, and his effort of D is subpar. He stands straight up - never stays in his stance.

On teams with better components, CJ and Tominaga may be good role players and could conceivably knock down shots. Neither of them can defend their position against good athletes. Both of them try, but CJ looks like he has lead in his feet.  Lat just can't get it done. He will turn it over 90% of the time he dribbles more than 3 times. Walker would be a good glue guy on a better roster. If he doesn't make shots, there is no reason to have him on the floor. The potential we saw in Andre is long gone. He is clearly frustrated and I don't know if he can recover. I don't know why Edwards doesn't get more chances. He is big and athletic. He can't be worse than Lat and has to be able to guard better than CJ. 

All this to say is how could we could we have missed so badly in assembling this roster? When we were recruiting, it really appears we did no analysis on whether these guys could defend? Or whether they had enough heart to rebound and accept (or fit into) a role on this team? At this point in time, I can't name more than maybe 3 guys I would want to have back next year.

My hope is that something clicks and things will change. I realize they 18-22 year olds. I will never stop rooting for them and hoping for the best. 

Good post.

I think to say Bryce's effort on D is "subpar" is a vast overstatement.   Hard to think of anyone we have had that plays with less effort.   Sad given that Trey does play hard most of the time.   Apparently Bryce has always been able to get by by being more talented than the competition - but eventually that catches up to everyone.

What is perhaps most disappointing is that Fred seems to be far too "patient" with the bad decisions and poor effort by the team generally.   I believe in positive coaching - but there have to be consequences for some of this poor play.  Sometimes I wonder if he is putting in the same effort to coaching the team as Bryce is putting into his defense :)

6 minutes ago, Coaches kid said:

At this point in time, I can't name more than maybe 3 guys I would want to have back next year.

My hope is that something clicks and things will change. I realize they 18-22 year olds. I will never stop rooting for them and hoping for the best. 

I'd like to see all who can come back next season do so. I would like to see what a better coach could do with this group and avoid having to rebuild.

7 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

Good post.

I think to say Bryce's effort on D is "subpar" is a vast overstatement.   Hard to think of anyone we have had that plays with less effort.   Sad given that Trey does play hard most of the time.   Apparently Bryce has always been able to get by by being more talented than the competition - but eventually that catches up to everyone.

What is perhaps most disappointing is that Fred seems to be far too "patient" with the bad decisions and poor effort by the team generally.   I believe in positive coaching - but there have to be consequences for some of this poor play.  Sometimes I wonder if he is putting in the same effort to coaching the team as Bryce is putting into his defense :)

Said much better than I ever have.

This is now two games (Auburn and K-State) where I didn’t bother to watch either game. This is coming from a lifelong diehard season ticket holder since 1990. Literally put tens of thousands of miles driving to Husker basketball games the past three decades. I let my two tickets go unused tonight. Not real proud of that, but it happened. Guys, I’m usually an optimist, but this level of play has me very low…

4 hours ago, lefty_g said:

With regard to the crowd, I thought it was actually pretty good.  Probably  3/4 full.  With no students, week of Christmas, talking to friends who are season ticket holders, they were surprised.

Yet you go to an undefeated Women's game, they offered (although the same team behind that stupid t-shirt at halftime for the students giveaway must have done this as well) free general admission (no one outside of posters to the women's page here probably saw that) as the volleyball team was honored at half, and the arena is totally empty above 100 level and they can't fill the lower bowl. 

7 hours ago, Coaches kid said:

Generally speaking, I am a glass half-full type of guy. I usually do not comment on the day of a loss, but...here goes. I simply can't believe that a guy with Hoiberg's college coaching track record would put together a group of guys who have such a low basketball IQs. The way it's going right now, I can't fathom a scenario where this group of guys will ever gel into a team that can be competitive against legit competition. We have nobody. - absolutely nobody - who is good at guarding the basketball on the perimeter. We let guys into the paint with little to no resistance. 

Offensively, we have only 2 guys who can generate their own shots, Bryce and Verge. Neither of them know how to do so within the flow of the offense. Both of them are on the lower end of the basketball IQ. Neither of them seem to understand game situations. Most of the time Bryce will not move without the ball, and his effort on D is subpar. He stands straight up - never stays in his stance.

On teams with better components, CJ and Tominaga may be good role players and could conceivably knock down shots. Neither of them can defend their position against good athletes. Both of them try, but CJ looks like he has lead in his feet. He cuts well without the ball, but most of the time, we don't run cutters. We have 3 guys just standing in one spot.

Lat just can't get it done. He will turn it over 90% of the time he dribbles more than 3 times. If he doesn't make shots, there is no reason to have him on the floor. Walker would be a good glue guy on a better roster. The potential we saw in Andre is long gone. He is clearly frustrated and I don't know if he can recover. I don't know why Edwards doesn't get more chances. He is big and athletic. He can't be worse than Lat and has to be able to guard better than CJ. 

All this to say is how could we could we have missed so badly in assembling this roster? When we were recruiting, did we do any analysis on whether these guys could defend? Or whether they had enough heart to rebound and accept (or fit for that matter) into a role on this team? At this point in time, I can't name more than maybe 3 guys I would want to have back next year. I really don't want to make wholesale changes again. It is not a way to build a program. But right now, I don't see this roster being successful. 

My hope is that something clicks and things will change. I realize they are 18-22 year-olds. I will never stop rooting for them and hoping for the best.  Right now, I just don't see how this improves. 

Great post. For all the offseason talk about how this was our most "talented" team ever, none of these guys would start for another Big Ten team. Bryce maybe, if the coach thought he could do something with him that Fred can't. Trey, if healthy, might for a couple of bottom feeders.

Most of them wouldn't even be role players on the good Big Ten teams. 

the roster just doesn't work. you have bryce playing small forward at 170 pounds when he should be a shooting guard, and he doesn't defend at all. tominaga is playing the 2 at 6 feet tall and can't defend. lat mayan is playing the stretch 4 but can't make 3s... walker is efficient but not a great rim defender. verge is a good player, but not great at creating for others and also doesn't play defense.

and the bench is average at best.

Edited by FredsSlacks

21 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Really? Tell me more…. I watched Tucker in hs with OSA, thought he was good, didn’t see “superstar.” 

The problem is I'm not sure Darian would ever come to Nebraska. While at Creighton, he saw four Husker coaches get fired (and Hoiberg on his way to being the 5th) in 20 years. Under Altman and McDermott, all he knows is stability and success. He'll have much better options and will land a power 5 job sooner rather than later. He would be number 1 on my list if I were an AD in the Big Ten or Big 12. 

As for Tucker, as a true freshman he's already the best player on a team that has their top 6 guys (all are seniors) returning from last year - a great team that went 26-5 and won a tournament game.  Darian isn't going to put these expectations on Tucker publicly, but I get the feeling from previous interviews that he thinks Tucker is his version of Doug McDermott. Tucker is more perimeter oriented, but there are some similarities in their games. He's got great size and strength (6'7" 210) for a wing. Really good ball handler, always under control, doesn't turn the ball over and can flat out shoot it. Plays really well off the ball, but can also play on ball and create for himself and others (7 assists in their last game). He accepted his role coming off the bench earlier in the season, but he's too good to keep off the floor so now he's taken one of those senior's spots in the starting lineup. He'll get his shot in the NBA eventually, but as a college coaches son, he's the type of kid that would stay in school for 4 years. He'll be a man among boys his junior and senior years. 

30 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The problem is I'm not sure Darian would ever come to Nebraska. While at Creighton, he saw four Husker coaches get fired (and Hoiberg on his way to being the 5th) in 20 years. Under Altman and McDermott, all he knows is stability and success. He'll have much better options and will land a power 5 job sooner rather than later. He would be number 1 on my list if I were an AD in the Big Ten or Big 12. 

As for Tucker, as a true freshman he's already the best player on a team that has their top 6 guys (all are seniors) returning from last year - a great team that went 26-5 and won a tournament game.  Darian isn't going to put these expectations on Tucker publicly, but I get the feeling from previous interviews that he thinks Tucker is his version of Doug McDermott. Tucker is more perimeter oriented, but there are some similarities in their games. He's got great size and strength (6'7" 210) for a wing. Really good ball handler, always under control, doesn't turn the ball over and can flat out shoot it. Plays really well off the ball, but can also play on ball and create for himself and others (7 assists in their last game). He accepted his role coming off the bench earlier in the season, but he's too good to keep off the floor so now he's taken one of those senior's spots in the starting lineup. He'll get his shot in the NBA eventually, but as a college coaches son, he's the type of kid that would stay in school for 4 years. He'll be a man among boys his junior and senior years. 

Don't discount Trev's Omaha connections. He and Rasmussen and McDermott have great relationships. You never know, that might be enough for Devries someday.

Edited by GoBigFred

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

This is now two games (Auburn and K-State) where I didn’t bother to watch either game. This is coming from a lifelong diehard season ticket holder since 1990. Literally put tens of thousands of miles driving to Husker basketball games the past three decades. I let my two tickets go unused tonight. Not real proud of that, but it happened. Guys, I’m usually an optimist, but this level of play has me very low…

This is where I'm at also.  I got over a 2 hour drive to go to games and I just cant get myself to go.  I have been to 1 game so far.  I love my tickets which makes it hard to give them up but if prices stay the same next year its going to be hard for me to fork that over again for awful basketball.

2 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

This is where I'm at also.  I got over a 2 hour drive to go to games and I just cant get myself to go.  I have been to 1 game so far.  I love my tickets which makes it hard to give them up but if prices stay the same next year its going to be hard for me to fork that over again for awful basketball.

Shoot, I have a 10 minute drive and it's hard to get motivated enough to go.