uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 12 - vs. Kansas State

uneblinstu

5 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

All I want is a team that is competitive, I can enjoy, and be proud of. This ain't it. This is a bad, bad, hard to watch team.

Next Nebraska basketball game to go to if you want to see a competitive (that you can be proud of) team is playing Wednesday at noon. Outside of that, I don't know what to tell you. 

Edited by Nighthawk

No analysis needed. This is simply a really bad program, top to bottom. I am about 70% off the FH bandwagon. The coaches recruited these players without doing the requisite homework or brought them in spite of the flaws that are glaringly obvious to anyone paying attention. Either way, until there are serious consequences for the lack of team play, effort, etc. these are the results to be expected. Based on the available evidence to this point, it won’t change.

This offense is brutal.  Dribble, dribble, dribble, set a pick, drive into traffic, stand around, 3 guys all next to each other, just brutal.  Jack up a low percentage shot without passing. Im not a fan of the defense anymore either..  I feel the team scrambles to find the open man on rotations which leads to open 3's and spending a lot of energy.  Wonder how this effects the offense.

Fred has 6 power 5 wins in year 3 and 5 conference wins total.  I see no way this will improve.  No pg or dominant big man to get pts from in the big 10. I feel this offense isnt going to work in this conference.  I think its similar to Ohio St in football.  You have to have freak talent to run it.  This is AAU ball with each player just trying to get theirs.  The crowd on tv sounded defeated and dead almost the whole game and was even booing.  Its safe to say the shine has worn off on PBA with no buzz and for some unknown reason no taps to drink from.  Dark, dark place right now which is saying a lot.  I have no confidence they will get a win on Weds.  

5 minutes ago, demone said:

No analysis needed. This is simply a really bad program, top to bottom. I am about 70% off the FH bandwagon. The coaches recruited these players without doing the requisite homework or brought them in spite of the flaws that are glaringly obvious to anyone paying attention. Either way, until there are serious consequences for the lack of team play, effort, etc. these are the results to be expected. Based on the available evidence to this point, it won’t change.

I'm about 80% off the hoiberg wagon at this point. Today was a game they needed to win to not only gain confidence but show that what you're doing can work. Today was the nail in the coffin for me.

I think he'll make it through the year definitely. Next year, he could also be here if what Trev did with Scott holds true with Fred. I can also see him just stepping down. There's a divorce on the horizon

5 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . for a break from gloom, let’s try this:

1.  Played pretty good defense a lot of the game;

2.  Am impressed with Tominaga—if any of his many rim-out threes had gone in, the game would have a better complexion—surely those will start falling? 

3.  How did K State beat Illinois?

They lost to Illinois...

Couple quick thoughts. 

-Lat right now is a complete liability. His shot isn't falling so he saw the bench for the majority of the second half. 

-andre has his good moments followed up with about 3 boneheaded plays. Losing Wilhelm means more of him and I'm not exactly sure that's a good thing. 

-bryce had good moments followed up with bad ones. I still love his downhill attacking style when he's doing it, but there were a lot of bad shots today

-defense was mostly fine today. Rebounds will be in the other teams favor most of the year. Forced turnovers to help make up for it.

-offense has no flow or rythym right now. I could go on a tangent about it, but it's simple. 

Today was a very important game for the rest of the year. They needed this. Big ten play is going to be a gauntlet. 

It’s painful to watch. Watching that 1994 Nebraska vs Michigan State classic basketball match before our game had me a little verklempt. Outside of one year under Miles, that’s the last time when I was super excited and proud of Nebraska basketball.  

If I’m the AD, I run it back one more year with Fred. His contract is $3.5 million through 2026, I would imagine we are going to need to shave that down some with an extra year. Maybe he can recruit himself out of it. At the same time, I’m also on the phone weekly with Darian DeVries telling him he can come here and make a ton of money as the next head coach at Nebraska. 

46 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . for a break from gloom, let’s try this:

1.  Played pretty good defense a lot of the game;

2.  Am impressed with Tominaga—if any of his many rim-out threes had gone in, the game would have a better complexion—surely those will start falling? 

3.  How did K State beat Illinois?

1. KSU also was bad on offense... so that helped.  Just imagine if they didn't turn the ball over like they did and made some shots.  They still got open looks too.

2. I lost hope about "shots falling" a few games back.  We say the same things it seems like after almost every game.  

10 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Not missing the front end of 3-4 one and ones would have gone a long way this game.

If memory and the box score are accurate, we used none of our timeouts in this game

We called a timeout with about 9 minutes to go in the 1st half.  I'm not sure that was exactly right, but it was when K-State cut our lead from 10 to maybe 3.

I don’t think it’s the players or coaches that need replaced. What drives me nuts is the shot selection and lack of ball movement. Bryce got blocked airballs three (or four but at least three) times when he tried to make something out of nothing. 

Why is moving the ball and taking a good look so hard?