19 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Chucky Hepburn (Wisconsin)

Hunter Saillis (Gonzaga)

Baylor Scheierman (SD State)

John Tonje (Colorado State)

Max Murrell (Stanford)

Shereef Mitchell (Creighton)

Sam Griesel (ND State)

That’s 7 off the top of my head. Are these dudes, plus filling in positional gaps from elsewhere, better than the team we have? 

Depends. Who are they being coached by?

I feel that the biggest problem without getting in-state kids is that the majority of our players from the last 20 years probably had no clue about Husker basketball. They have way less invested in Husker bball than we do before they step on campus. I would think having players who grew up as fans would help with kids actually being 100% invested in the program, allowing us to get back to having some kids who START and END their career here.

13 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I feel that the biggest problem without getting in-state kids is that the majority of our players from the last 20 years probably had no clue about Husker basketball. They have way less invested in Husker bball than we do before they step on campus. I would think having players who grew up as fans would help with kids actually being 100% invested in the program, allowing us to get back to having some kids who START and END their career here.

Not sure that many 17-year-olds are all that devoted as fans, considering what NU hoops has been in their lifetimes. Also, how many Nebraska kids have succeeded in their lifetimes? I'm a BIG proponent of having Nebraska kids on the roster, but it's an uphill battle to get the good ones after the neglect of the last 15 years. 

• 1 month later...

And in other news, South Dakota State, led by Aurora native Baylor Scheierman with 17, beat Western Illinois by 18.  Yes, that Western Illinois.    And Lincoln East grad Sam Griesel hit the winning shot with a second left for North Dakota State’s win; finished with 18.  

Edited by HB

45 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Good enough to play as a true freshman for #22 Loyola Chicago - not good for Nebrasketball. 

I mean this is good for him and maybe he turns into yet another guy we could have had that was in our back yard but this is a clip of the 9th man on the team making one shot in one game. Are we grabbing the wrong guys or does he look like Keon Edwards if he come here and Keon Edwards look like him if he goes to Loyola?

If you think it's the wrong guys then Matt A needs to go because he's going to offer 13 year olds from NY before he takes any D-1 kids here.

19 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I mean this is good for him and maybe he turns into yet another guy we could have had that was in our back yard but this is a clip of the 9th man on the team making one shot in one game.

Furthermore it was the only shot he took in the game, that Loyola lost.

29 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Danny Woodhead, Harrison Phillips, Joe Burrow . . . oh, wait.

In a reverse deal: Tom Osborne turned Barry Sanders down in favor of Johnny Rodgers's son.

Didn't Nebraska offer Phillips?  IIRC, Harrison was looking for an academic fit more so than football.  I thought he gravitated towards Stanford and the Ivy League schools, and thus Nebraska knew it wasn't worth pushing hard.  But I'm pretty sure Nebraska offered him a scholarship and he would have had a spot at DONU if he had wanted it.

According to Sipple:

Phillips was Nebraska's Gatorade Player of the Year in 2013. He might've ended up a Husker had Bo Pelini's staff offered him a scholarship earlier in the process. With an earlier offer, he might not have attended a summer camp at Stanford. There's a lot of "what ifs" in that discussion, too. But Phillips' current "what if" — What would his life be like now had he starred at NU instead of Stanford? — is indeed provocative, especially in the wake of Johnson and Dickerson's decisions. 

15 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I read that and all I could do is just shake my head at the unwarranted smugness of the guy who has compiled the rosters of the 3 worst years in Nebraska basketball history. 

You forgot to add the "with all due respect" part to the beginning of your post.

25 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I read that and all I could do is just shake my head at the unwarranted smugness of the guy who has compiled the rosters of the 3 worst years in Nebraska basketball history. 

I get what he's saying, but when you arent having success it's hard to blow off local kids that are elsewhere

On 1/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, aphilso1 said:

Didn't Nebraska offer Phillips?  IIRC, Harrison was looking for an academic fit more so than football.  I thought he gravitated towards Stanford and the Ivy League schools, and thus Nebraska knew it wasn't worth pushing hard.  But I'm pretty sure Nebraska offered him a scholarship and he would have had a spot at DONU if he had wanted it.

Pelini worked out Mick Stoltenberg and Harrison Phillips and offered Mick and not Harrison.  I believe it was because Bo felt Harrison was undersized.  By all accounts Harrison would have committed on the spot and shut down recruiting immediately.  Soon thereafter Stanford offered.  Since he was being slow played, he went out there and must have liked what he saw.  Bo then offered a schollie.  Too little too late.  I don’t know if he really wanted Phillips or was just saving face with the scholarship offer since Phillips was pretty much gone at that point.

10 hours ago, coughunter said:

Screenshot_20220126-215710_Samsung Internet.jpg

Y'all didn't tell me there was already a thread about this!

This is the quote that really got me as well.  On one hand, I can see wanting to defend the players you've brought in and the players that are on the team currently.  However, I think it's the way that it was said.  "With all due respect" just comes off the wrong way.  It's also tough when those players that went to other schools have talent AND success while we sit here with talent and no success (so far).  Heck, Baylor up at SDSU is shooting 50%....... FROM 3.  We'd die to just have a team average around 33%.

16 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Y'all didn't tell me there was already a thread about this!

This is the quote that really got me as well.  On one hand, I can see wanting to defend the players you've brought in and the players that are on the team currently.  However, I think it's the way that it was said.  "With all due respect" just comes off the wrong way.  It's also tough when those players that went to other schools have talent AND success while we sit here with talent and no success (so far).  Heck, Baylor up at SDSU is shooting 50%....... FROM 3.  We'd die to just have a team average around 33%.

To me it's more about him sabotaging future recruiting in state.  The guy is a professional recruiter.  It wouldn't have taken zero effort for him to talk towards recruiting the state more even if he has no intention of doing so when speaking to the local scribe. His ego is writing checks that his body can't cash.

At this point you have to wonder if the problem is beyond Matt not recruiting the state as in if Loesner does flip a recruit that we don't land or keep him because of Matt.

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

To me it's more about him sabotaging future recruiting in state.  The guy is a professional recruiter.  It wouldn't have taken zero effort for him to talk towards recruiting the state more even if he has no intention of doing so when speaking to the local scribe. His ego is writing checks that his body can't cash.

At this point you have to wonder if the problem is beyond Matt not recruiting the state as in if Loesner does flip a recruit that we don't land or keep him because of Matt.

Great point.

"With all due respect" = "You don't know wtf you're talking about, but I'm going to make it sound like I'm a nice guy."

Seems like we're in the same boat we've been a number of times over the past decade, catching heat for in-state recruitment. Might be time to offer somebody just to get people off our back, then let them transfer to a Summit school after a year. 

15 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

"With all due respect" = "You don't know wtf you're talking about, but I'm going to make it sound like I'm a nice guy."

Seems like we're in the same boat we've been a number of times over the past decade, catching heat for in-state recruitment. Might be time to offer somebody just to get people off our back, then let them transfer to a Summit school after a year. 

You're right as it's a topic that gets trotted out when we're losing and we very much are losing.

Akol Arop was undersized and underskilled and often injured.  He did happen to care about Nebraska though.  He pulled down 28 rebounds in his career here, nothing that impressive. Maybe he plays part time his senior year. Will Oleg Kojents ever pull down 28 rebounds during his time here?  It's not all star rankings and we have the record to prove that.

Yeah, you don't need local guys to win but sure seems like a couple might fix your culture/turnover problem.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Will Bolt is the only men’s coach this decade or so (at least in the major sports) that has done a good job recruiting in state talent.  Amazing how many coaches we have had here that ignore in state kids.

9 minutes ago, busticket said:

Will Bolt is the only men’s coach this decade or so (at least in the major sports) that has done a good job recruiting in state talent.  Amazing how many coaches we have had here that ignore in state kids.

I think baseball is a little different when it comes to that.  At least the focus is there.  There are fewer options in bball to get.  Bball has tried to recruit to an extent, but for the higher ranked players, you can't fault them for choosing better programs with better results.  You eventuall need to win with what you have then it makes it easier for local kids to want to stay.