Kansas State (5-3) vs. Nebraska (5-6) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Just now, GoBigFred said:

I had no emotions about the loss today. Usually I’m sad or mad or bummed. Today, I feel nothing. Ho hum. On to Sunday Night Football.

The disappointment wasn't that we lost to Kansas State. It was that we can probably count on one hand how many statistically "winnable" games we have left in this season...and it's only December.

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The disappointment wasn't that we lost to Kansas State. It was that we can probably count on one hand how many statistically "winnable" games we have left in this season...and it's only December.

For me it just doesn’t even matter. 5 wins, 6 wins, 7, 8. What’s the difference at this point. We got a 5 star freshman and we’re probably the worst Husker team this century. Figures.

A quick look at the stats: 17.9% from three (the foundation upon which the team is built!), 68.2% from FTs and 32.8% from the field- and this to a team which is likely to be the worst in the Big Twelve (at home, no less).

The recruiting momentum they had half a year ago or so is now gone and once again next year the team will be completely restocked with the newest crop of cast-offs who shoot "lights out" in practice. 

It is obvious this crack-minded "five-out" experiment has failed. It is amateur hour at the Apollo. 

Seriously, Hoiberg's program couldn't be worse if they had no coach at all. If the players coached themselves the results wouldn't likely be much worse, if at all. The university needs to stop paying idiotic amounts of money to get these results. We all know NU will never win a tournament game with this staff as long as they compete in the rugged Big Ten, let alone win a conference title, but they could have a year where they win four or five conference games if they had a competent staff. When Hoiberg is fired by Alberts he will leave NU with a season best three conference wins after four years!

Perhaps there is a basketball historian who might know of a major conference which has been as bad over a four year period (by percentage) but I don't. I thought it might have been Colorado under Tom Miller in the mid-to-late 80s but I looked at the sports-reference website and alas, Colorado was even better than Hoiberg! Miller's hapless team won at a .190 clip. Hoiberg currently sits at .086. Imagine being twice as bad as the worst team of all time. This is almost sublime in its historical wretchedness. And all this in front of the best, most long-suffering fans in Division One.

To put this in an historical perspective. Prior to Hoiberg's arrival the worst tenure by an NU coach was a nine-year stretch of futility from 1954 to 1963. The winning percentage was .326- something we would all rejoice over at this juncture. The architect of that previous low you may ask? None other than Hoiberg's grandfather Jerry Bush.

1 minute ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

A quick look at the stats: 17.9% from three (the foundation upon which the team is built!), 68.2% from FTs and 32.8% from the field- and this to a team which is likely to be the worst in the Big Twelve (at home, no less).

The recruiting momentum they had half a year ago or so is now gone and once again next year the team will be completely restocked with the newest crop of cast-offs who shoot "lights out" in practice. 

It is obvious this crack-minded "five-out" experiment has failed. It is amateur hour at the Apollo. 

Seriously, Hoiberg's program couldn't be worse if they had no coach at all. If the players coached themselves the results wouldn't likely be much worse, if at all. The university needs to stop paying idiotic amounts of money to get these results. We all know NU will never win a tournament game with this staff as long as they compete in the rugged Big Ten, let alone win a conference title, but they could have a year where they win four or five conference games if they had a competent staff. When Hoiberg is fired by Alberts he will leave NU with a season best three conference wins after four years!

Perhaps there is a basketball historian who might know of a major conference which has been as bad over a four year period (by percentage) but I don't. I thought it might have been Colorado under Tom Miller in the mid-to-late 80s but I looked at the sports-reference website and alas, Colorado was even better than Hoiberg! Miller's hapless team won at a .190 clip. Hoiberg currently sits at .086. Imagine being twice as bad as the worst team of all time. This is almost sublime in its historical wretchedness. And all this in front of the best, most long-suffering fans in Division One.

To put this in an historical perspective. Prior to Hoiberg's arrival the worst tenure by an NU coach was a nine-year stretch of futility from 1954 to 1963. The winning percentage was .326- something we would all rejoice over at this juncture. The architect of that previous low you may ask? None other than Hoiberg's grandfather Jerry Bush.

what you just said is alarmingly said and true. If these guys went out there and just played basketball with no coaches and no system and subbed themselves in and out when they needed a break, they would probably have at least the same results they have so far this season and probably better. 

8 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Without looking maybe Wash st or Oregon st or Depaul

3 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Results as of 12/18 (not including the K-State game):

OFFENSE:

3P%: 344 of 350 teams (25.9%)

FG%: 245 of 350 teams (42.73%)

FT%: 76 of 350 teams (74.12%)

DEFENSE:

3P%: 276 of 350 teams (35.4%)

FG%: 161 of 350 teams (41.813%)

Scoring Defense: 321 of 350 teams (77.5)

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Results as of 12/18 (not including the K-State game):

OFFENSE:

3P%: 344 of 350 teams (25.9%)

FG%: 245 of 350 teams (42.73%)

FT%: 76 of 350 teams (74.12%)

DEFENSE:

3P%: 276 of 350 teams (35.4%)

FG%: 161 of 350 teams (41.813%)

Scoring Defense: 321 of 350 teams (77.5)

It pisses me off that there are somehow still 6 teams shooting worse than us from 3. How the hell can anyone be worse than us. Let us at least have that claim!

9 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

what you just said is alarmingly said and true. If these guys went out there and just played basketball with no coaches and no system and subbed themselves in and out when they needed a break, they would probably have at least the same results they have so far this season and probably better. 

What are we paying $3.5M/year for (not even including staff salaries)?