Reflecting on Moos' Legacy

HuskerFever

I know there had been a lot of people who were high on his big spending and decisions. He left in the offseason and now we've seen four years of his administrative decisions come to life.

Maybe there needs to be more time for these projects to take effect like my prior hesitations?

Maybe his massive spending spree and dash (like he did at Washington State) was all for not and isn't building towards any ROI on the court like I had hesitations of?

Either way, we're dipping a lot into our budget, the fans are seeing more expensive tickets, and the quality of the programs are absolute historical garbage. There's many programs out there doing more with far less. If the money isn't helping improve the product, then what are we spending it for? Moos has moved on, but we're stuck holding the bag and the massive hit to our reputation.

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't begrudge Moos for hiring Hoiberg. I don't begrudge him for firing Miles. I begrudge him for either intentionally or unintentionally not putting forth any effort WHATSOEVER towards our goal of trying to make the NCAA tournament with 2 very talented teams.  

From the sound of it, Moos did very little outside of hiring coaches. Little effort seems like how he operated in regard to all sports. 

2 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't begrudge Moos for hiring Hoiberg.  I begrudge him for either intentionally or unintentionally not putting forth any effort towards our goal of trying to make the NCAA tournament with 2 very talented teams.

Yeah, he really screwed up by basically ignoring the hoops program when he started; wouldn't have been too difficult to just extend Miles' contract out to get that off his plate while he worked on Football.

I am much more optimistic about Trev than I ever was about Moos (or Pederson or Eichorst for that matter).  I don't think it was much of a secret around here, I was not a Moos fan from the start.  I do truly wish it would have worked out with Moos better, but it didn't.  C'est la vie.

May not be all that popular, but I liked Moos. He made 2 hires that for most, were the best possible hires he could make at the time (although I was the opposite of most - hesitant on Frost and all in on Hoiberg). 

I don’t know details of day-to-day and to be honest, don’t really care. He was a hands off guy and I get it - if you are going to pay someone millions of dollars to do a job, there should be some accountability on those you hire to figure it out. He may not have been a great long term fit and I’m sure he made mistakes. But he won’t be the last one to do so.

For what it’s worth, I am all in on Trev - he won’t be perfect but I do believe he is the right guy to bring everything together. Will that manifest in wins? Who knows? But the coaches and players will be put in the best possible position to succeed.

Edited by demone

57 minutes ago, demone said:

May not be all that popular, but I liked Moos. He made 2 hires that for most, were the best possible hires he could make at the time (although I was the opposite of most - hesitant on Frost and all in on Hoiberg). 

I don’t know details of day-to-day and to be honest, don’t really care. He was a hands off guy and I get it - if you are going to pay someone millions of dollars to do a job, there should be some accountability on those you hire to figure it out. He may not have been a great long term fit and I’m sure he made mistakes. But he won’t be the last one to do so.

For what it’s worth, I am all in on Trev - he won’t be perfect but I do believe he is the right guy to bring everything together. Will that manifest in wins? Who knows? But the coaches and players will be put in the best possible position to succeed.

AD's biggest job is hiring and he (we thought) hit home runs with Frost and Fred. I never heard one person criticize either hire at the time.

The athletic department dysfunction has been going on for years. It's been a cesspool ever since Byrne got hired, since TO wanted somebody else. Moos didn't do anything to solve it but he didn't create it either. 

Edited by Chuck Taylor
word choice

23 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I don't begrudge Moos for hiring Hoiberg. I don't begrudge him for firing Miles. I begrudge him for either intentionally or unintentionally not putting forth any effort WHATSOEVER towards our goal of trying to make the NCAA tournament with 2 very talented teams.  

Yep. All of this. I think it was more intentional than not, though. 

I was all in on Moos and all of his hires (especially Frost and Hoiberg). But I think it is was pretty obvious after making the hires, he did very little. Spending all his time on his ranch was unacceptable. Rarely going to games or practice, He seemed to take pride in that. I about lost it when I heard he had a fireplace installed in the AD's office. What a joke. 

Nebraska athletics will continue to fail as long as the number one motivation is money and not winning. Not sure if Trev Alberts gets it or not. I was not. a fan of the hire, but so far, I think he has done ok. Wish he would not talk to the press so often, but Nebraska has many more issues than that. 

8 hours ago, imnothipp said:

I was all in on Moos and all of his hires (especially Frost and Hoiberg). But I think it is was pretty obvious after making the hires, he did very little. Spending all his time on his ranch was unacceptable. Rarely going to games or practice, He seemed to take pride in that. I about lost it when I heard he had a fireplace installed in the AD's office. What a joke. 

Nebraska athletics will continue to fail as long as the number one motivation is money and not winning. Not sure if Trev Alberts gets it or not. I was not. a fan of the hire, but so far, I think he has done ok. Wish he would not talk to the press so often, but Nebraska has many more issues than that. 

I think he talks to the press because he wants to show he's engaged, not because reporters are a bunch of fine fellows. If he didn't, then people would be asking what he's doing.

He handled a tough job at UNO, and I think he'll do one here as well.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, hhcmatt said:

Yeah I really like Trev.  I feel like he's going to get this ship righted

The Trev hire seems like the Frost hire or the Hoiberg hire did at the time.

It seems like a can't-miss. And yet ...

I absolutely do not fault Moos for thinking that Frost and Hoiberg would not only be excellent coaches but that they would lead their programs to sustained success over a long-haul period of time because they had some connection to the University that would inspire them to call this place home for the duration of their careers. Hell, it's exactly what I thought at the time.

We had every reason to believe Scott and his staff could coach the game of football. We had every reason to believe that we were just a few short years from winning an NCAA tournament game with Fred.

And we have every reason to look at Trev's hire with the same kind of giddy optimism that we embraced the hiring of those two coaches.

Let's hope this one turns out a little better. The early returns on those other two are not so promising.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The Trev hire seems like the Frost hire or the Hoiberg hire did at the time.

It seems like a can't-miss. And yet ...

I absolutely do not fault Moos for thinking that Frost and Hoiberg would not only be excellent coaches but that they would lead their programs to sustained success over a long-haul period of time because they had some connection to the University that would inspire them to call this place home for the duration of their careers. Hell, it's exactly what I thought at the time.

We had every reason to believe Scott and his staff could coach the game of football. We had every reason to believe that we were just a few short years from winning an NCAA tournament game with Fred.

And we have every reason to look at Trev's hire with the same kind of giddy optimism that we embraced the hiring of those two coaches.

Let's hope this one turns out a little better. The early returns on those other two are not so promising.

3rd times a charm!

I've bit my lip on this long enough. While both coaches have poor win loss records what is going on is NOT THE SAME.

Yes the football team finished with a 3-9 record but they where in every game. They played hard every game having what was arguably the hardest schedule.

The football team when SF took over was a mess. Football can't be be fixed 1, 2, 3, or 4 players. I can't believe I have to explain this but good football teams are built up front. That takes 4+ years. 

A good coach can turn around a basketball team in 2-3 years with a couple of good players. In TM case he was able to do so with a couple of above average players. When Tim had talent his teams where competitive, getting to NCAA once and very close a second time. This team is loaded with high level talent. This is as much talent as I've seen since the Nee years. More importantly to me is that the players on this team do not play well together. They play with low energy/effort/passion. They are fundamentally bad at so many things it would be hard to find what to work on first(more on this below). This team is such a mess that I don't see a way forward. I desperately want to be wrong. I don't want to blow this up and start over again.

I dread going to games. I never felt this way with our last 3 coaches, even during Docs last season. 

My solution, and this is mostly cathartic, would be to:

1. shut down the 3 point shooting to under 10/game.

2. play nothing but man-to-man defense. This exposes guys who aren't giving effort.

3. spend the majority of practice, boxing out and rebounding. If the opponent has more than +5 rebounding, running lines in practice. This spreads accountability.

4. Minimum of 4 passes once they cross half court before a shot is taken. 

5. Set hard screens and open up lanes for getting inside.

6. No forcing contested shots. If the shot isn't there pass it back outside and reset. I don't care if we get shot clock violations. It's better than a crappy shot and fast break opportunity. 

7. MOTION MOTION MOTION. No one is standing still out by the 3 pt line. Everybody is moving all the time. Constant cutting to the basket.

I don't care if these leads to ugly games in the 40's. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Now with all that said none of this will happen. We've all been through this before and we know how it will end.

UntriedDeepFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

I know this has turned into more an evaluation on coaching, but my concerns on Moos we're his excessive spending and little ROI on and off the court/field to show for it. That can be an evaluation of coaching staff, could be an evaluation on the athletic department, evaluation on what and how we're spending our money. Either way, there's tons of programs doing much more with much less. The department is spending more money on facilities and the fans are left spending more money on season tickets, et. al. with no improvements to show for it. That's where I'm at (regardless of any sort of coaching evaluation).

I suppose one more pain point for me is the lack of accountability. Whether that's within the athletic department or the coaching staffs. Either way, our top two men's programs are a joke and it seems some within the ranks have chosen apathy over accountability. And why would they? The money keeps coming in from their fans.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:57 AM, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Oh God... I can't handle another Scott Frost debate. @hhcmatt I'm begging you, lock the thread and put us all out of our misery 

How about some positive stuff.  Women's BBall is 10-0!  Volleyball team knocked off Texas last night!  Maybe we need to start celebrating the victors in Husker Nation. 

I think Moos did okay for the time being, especially in the aftermath of the Eichorst debacle, but I had never felt like Bill would be here all that long. And, I suppose, that's all right. What I am confident of is that Trev Alberts will be a good thing long-term for the Huskers program philosophically, personality-wise, and competitiveness. I trust in Trev.

There have been a lot of awesome stories with Nebraska over the past year: Kate Smith won the Big Ten in golf; Will Bolt won the Big Ten in baseball; the bowling squad won another National Title; the football team competed hard each & every game, and hopefully re-tool enough to get over that proverbial hump on the field; the men's basketball team recruited its first-ever H.S. five-star in Bryce McGowens (even though Isaac Copeland was one originally yet he had transferred to NU from Georgetown); the women's basketball has won 10 straight games (which had happened in 2013 & 2010 most recently); and, the volleyball team just beat Texas in Austin to notch another Final Four appearance (16th overall), as NU will be playing Pitt this Thurs. in Columbus, Ohio, after a weird season last spring resulted in an Elite Eight appearance for NU volleyball.

There are likely other great stories to tell, I found that these were the initial stories that came to mind. I hope to fondly recall a lot more great stories in 2022. GBR!

10 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I think Moos did okay for the time being, especially in the aftermath of the Eichorst debacle, but I had never felt like Bill would be here all that long. And, I suppose, that's all right. What I am confident of is that Trev Alberts will be a good thing long-term for the Huskers program philosophically, personality-wise, and competitiveness. I trust in Trev.

There have been a lot of awesome stories with Nebraska over the past year: Kate Smith won the Big Ten in golf; Will Bolt won the Big Ten in baseball; the bowling squad won another National Title; the football team competed hard each & every game, and hopefully re-tool enough to get over that proverbial hump on the field; the men's basketball team recruited its first-ever H.S. five-star in Bryce McGowens (even though Isaac Copeland was one originally yet he had transferred to NU from Georgetown); the women's basketball has won 10 straight games (which had happened in 2013 & 2010 most recently); and, the volleyball team just beat Texas in Austin to notch another Final Four appearance (16th overall), as NU will be playing Pitt this Thurs. in Columbus, Ohio, after a weird season last spring resulted in an Elite Eight appearance for NU volleyball.

There are likely other great stories to tell, I found that these were the initial stories that came to mind. I hope to fondly recall a lot more great stories in 2022. GBR!

I would’ve rather had 3-star Chucky Hepburn