What do we do well?

dustystehl

When we shoot free throws, as soon as our shooter releases the ball, our two rebounders promptly run away from the basket to assure us of never getting an offensive rebound.  I'm not sure why we even put our two rebounders on the free throw line.  It would be easier to have them just go back to our opponents basket..

We are also the greatest team for never being able to recruit one decent post player in the last  60 years I've been listening and watching the huskers (Vincent Hamilton  was the only exception).  Almost  all the weak nonconference teams we play each year have better posts than we have.  Until we get a decent post player we will always suck! 

30 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

When we shoot free throws, as soon as our shooter releases the ball, our two rebounders promptly run away from the basket to assure us of never getting an offensive rebound.  I'm not sure why we even put our two rebounders on the free throw line.  It would be easier to have them just go back to our opponents basket..

We are also the greatest team for never being able to recruit one decent post player in the last  60 years I've been listening and watching the huskers (Vincent Hamilton  was the only exception).  Almost  all the weak nonconference teams we play each year have better posts than we have.  Until we get a decent post player we will always suck! 

Dave Hoppen, Rich King, Derrick Chandler and Aleks Maric say hi!  I agree we need to find a post up game at sometime.  

2 hours ago, longtimefan said:

Disappointed in your complete disrespect of Aleks Maric.

2 hours ago, longtimefan said:

It’s Venson Hamilton, longtimefan. 

I knew when I only  put Venson (I'm not good at names sometimes) Hamilton's name down I probably would get a few other names. But I'm looking at 60+ years of teams with maybe a handful of decent post players.   Hoppen, King and Chandler were decent but I don't remember them winning any league championships or having any  really great teams.  As far as Aleks Maric,, he  used to drive me crazy with all the bunnies he missed around the basket.  The guy was 6'10" and couldn't dunk the ball unless he got a run at it.  He'd miss half a dozen point blank bunnies every game trying to bank them  in instead of going up and slamming it down.  He would have   averaged another 10+ points a game if he could of jumped and dunked.   The bottom line is NU has failed to get quality big men and you can't be really successful without one.

3 hours ago, longtimefan said:

I knew when I only  put Venson (I'm not good at names sometimes) Hamilton's name down I probably would get a few other names. But I'm looking at 60+ years of teams with maybe a handful of decent post players.   Hoppen, King and Chandler were decent but I don't remember them winning any league championships or having any  really great teams.  As far as Aleks Maric,, he  used to drive me crazy with all the bunnies he missed around the basket.  The guy was 6'10" and couldn't dunk the ball unless he got a run at it.  He'd miss half a dozen point blank bunnies every game trying to bank them  in instead of going up and slamming it down.  He would have   averaged another 10+ points a game if he could of jumped and dunked.   The bottom line is NU has failed to get quality big men and you can't be really successful without one.

Total miss.  Just because he didn’t dunk to your satisfaction doesn’t  mean he wasn’t a quality big who impacted many games positively for the red.  People used to bitch because Hoppen didn’t dunk explosively either.   Both were great post players for NU.  Look at the minor flaws all you want.  

Edited by HB

4 hours ago, longtimefan said:

As far as Aleks Maric,, he  used to drive me crazy with all the bunnies he missed around the basket.  The guy was 6'10" and couldn't dunk the ball unless he got a run at it.  He'd miss half a dozen point blank bunnies every game trying to bank them  in instead of going up and slamming it down.  He would have   averaged another 10+ points a game if he could of jumped and dunked.   The bottom line is NU has failed to get quality big men and you can't be really successful without one.

He shot around 55% from the field for his career. He averaged ~13pts and ~9 boards. His numbers in college where better than Chandler, Moore, and Hamilton. He kicked around in the Euro league for about 6yrs. 

2 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

He shot around 55% from the field for his career. He averaged ~13pts and ~9 boards. His numbers in college where better than Chandler, Moore, and Hamilton. He kicked around in the Euro league for about 6yrs. 

Kicked around?  He played in the top league in Europe making 7 figures for several years. 

Just now, hhcmatt said:

I'm sorry why are we shitting on everyone who's played post here again?

Just be clear, I'm not shitting on anybody. I made this comment:

Seems he took offense to me using the term "kicked around." I'm not sure why? Perhaps he can explain.

Whether he was or wasn't a bench player, I don't know or care as I don't follow Euro league basketball. He played pro basketball and that is awesome.

He is one of my all time favorite Nebraska basketball players. Fans used to "shit" on him all the time but when you look at how he performed at Nebraska as a Center, he was one of our best ever.

To be clear I would not now or ever "shit" on any of those guys as players, ever. I have great memories watching all of them play while they were at Nebraska.