uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 10 - vs Michigan

uneblinstu

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

He's saying our shooting issues are recruiting issues and that Abdelmassih recruits all of the players.

It's not so much what he said as much as he's name dropping an assistant and that assistant also happens to be on leave. 

This is the check engine light going from solid to flashing.

The problems go much deeper than that, but that is certainly also a problem.

You give a guy ~$400,000.00 per year to handle recruiting. He has no coaching responsibilities to take up his time. He doesn't do any opponent scouts, he doesn't do any floor coaching, he's not even really an active participant in practices or film sessions. He has ONE JOB and that is to fill the roster.

And what we see is a hodgepodge of parts that don't really fit well together. It's like Johnny Cash's old Cadillac that he stole from the factory one piece at a time.

I think one of the problems may be that, to the extent they have trusted his eye for talent, that trust was misplaced. It's one thing to hand him the rod after the fish has been hooked and tell him to reel it in; it's another thing entirely to put him in charge of deciding which fish to catch.

12 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

The food at PBA peaked in the first year and progressively has sucked each year after. Two bottles of water, two hot dogs, and two nachos. $31. Only other option is pizza. 

Not to mention incredibly long lines. There are multiple stations closed down it feels abandoned. Not a good look for the University.

34 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's a PBA deal. They don't have the manpower to open more stations.

It's also a problem at the entrances. You're trying to get your mask on, get your coat unzipped so they can see inside, get your phone out so they can scan your QR code, and it takes a good minute to get through the line and through the doors even if there's not a long line.

Verge is a poor man’s Russell Westbrook. Notice Westbrook is never on teams that win. But verge will be a decent guard off the bench in the NBA IMO. 

It seems like most of our 3s are guys dribbling into their 3pt shot and not catching and shooting. Bryce is nearly always pulling up off the dribble on every 3 attempt. Verge too. Keisei too. Wilcher is mostly a catch and shoot guy. But there’s way too much dribble dribble dribble pull up from 3. You’ll never be a high percentage team if that’s how you get your attempts. I do truly believe Fred wants his team to look like Michigan and Creighton moving the ball and getting wide open shots. But they just can’t do it. Part of the problem is that’s not how Verge and Bryce are wired. Part of the problem is not having a true point guard mentality. Part of the problem is no inside presence. Part of the problem is we can’t rebound and get in transition. And on and on…

Edited by GoBigFred

2 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So what is he implying??  Whats up with Matty A??  Is there more to the story or what?

Probably implying a little bit about the random mix of players he’s signing every year, and probably implying a little bit about the “health” issues that are self-inflicted and not really “health” related. Let’s just say the whole program needs to get its shit together. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Whoa whoa whoa wait a sec.

You and I have had this discussion before during the Miles era and YOU said the guy with the open shot should still take it even if he's not a good shooter. And I went along with you on that.

Seems like this comment contradicts your position from a few years ago. Am I misremembering?

I generally believe that open people, in rhythm should shoot the ball. Obviously not Eduardo Andre or Yvan... but you get the point. 

If you think what we're doing is shooting 35 in rhythm and open 3's... well.... 

15 hours ago, 49r said:

It's become crystal clear now that TJ was the straw that stirred that drink at ISU.  Sadly, it seems that we hired the wrong guy.

Kind of like when Tim Miles lost Craig Smith.  All downhill from there.  Yes we hired the wrong coach.  Hindsight is 20/20 though.

59 minutes ago, HB said:

Actually, a lot of posters have said that.  But go on. 

Show me a post where someone said it’s “all verge’s fault”

you can acknowledge he is a problem without implying he is the only problem. There are a hundred problems with this team. Verge isn’t excluded when he plays piss poor. 

Edited by GoBigFred

32 minutes ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Good read on the constant comparison of Verge to Teddy Allen from Jacob Padilla

Verge actually tried to keep others involved early on; his first possession without a pass didn’t come until inside of five minutes to play in the first half. Unfortunately, nobody else was able to do much with it.

We have to figure out how to channel this, not bench this.

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Verge actually tried to keep others involved early on; his first possession without a pass didn’t come until inside of five minutes to play in the first half. Unfortunately, nobody else was able to do much with it.

I  noticed that too.  I had a hard time blaming him for attacking because the rest of the team just didn’t have it.  I was just disappointed that is what we devolved to after the NC State game.  To me that was a a critical point for the team.  Either we would be galvanized by that loss or we would tank.  Looking like the latter as of right now….

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Saw a tweet that said we’re 351/358 in 3 point shooting percentage for the year and I want to know who the heck shoots it worse than us!

We are now actually #346 out of 350 in 3-point percentage.

#346: Nebraska (thru 10 games)

#347: South Florida (7 games)

#348: Portland State (7 games)

#349: Missouri (9 games)

#350: Maine (7 games)

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

3pt Attempts per Game:

Nebraska 25.6

South Florida 19.7

Portland State 22.5

Missouri 20.3

Maine 20.3

maybe it’s time to Michael Jackson ourselves and take a look in the mirror and make a change. 

I think I’ve found a way to fix our 3 point woes. Rather than “waiting for the shots to start falling”, I propose we just remove some of the shots from happening. In particular I am looking at 4 “possession killers” aka any time they throw up a 3 it’s very likely to be a brick. 

Bryce 10-45 (your NBA draft stock would improve by missing far less from 3).

Wilhelm 3-20 (that Colorado game was fun but we can’t have a big man shooting 15% from 3. Not only is that almost a guaranteed miss, it also removes a big man from having a chance at an offensive board).

Keon 0-12 (I mean, 0-12. Enough said. You’re out there a few minutes per game, you’ll probably be out there more minutes by doing everything else well and simply not shooting).

Lat 8-33 (this one is tough because it’s literally what he was brought here to do. But it’s not been getting done and hasn’t since he got here. If Lat is out there he will be shooting 3s, but I actually would prefer to see him on the bench and try anybody else. It’s not like Lat offers much else at either end of the court). 

there you have it, I’ve just removed 21-110 (19%) from this season. If these 4 haven’t taken a three in a game this year we are shooting 30.1% and rank a respectable 289th instead of 346th 😂 

39 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Who’s been a BIGGER Face Plant (all sports) Missouri in the SEC or Nebraska in the B1G…???