uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 10 - vs Michigan

uneblinstu

On Nebraska handling adversity:

“In Indiana, I thought we competed maybe as well as we had all year especially on the defensive end and tonight the lack of shot making just completely affected everything. It sucked the air out of the building. Again, that is the true test of the type of year you are going to have, is how you handle adversity. We have handled it pretty well for the most part but tonight was about as bad as I have ever been a part of as far as handling adversity.”

That's because we jacked up 35 3's and missed all but 4 of them.

You know what good coaches do when 3's aren't falling?. They work on getting some easy shots.

Fred damn well knows that you get better looks at 3's when you can get to the rim. 

I was curious as to what Juwan would say. Must be really awkward looking for something positive to say about your opponent when he knows that was some of the worst basketball he has likely ever seen in his life.

I though I would have calmed down since last night, but I haven't.

I honestly was hoping some heads would would roll this morning.

Sipple is pretty connected though often viewed as a mouthpiece for the university as part of that access.  He threw Abdelmassih under the bus before he got to the 10 minute mark of his radio show today. Doesn't take a dot connecting expert to conclude it's a mess on the court because it's a mess off the court.

12 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We gave up 100 points. 

The guys who weren't Verge went 4-32 from 3.

But yeah, Alonzo Verge dribbling too much is the problem, not the guys in red sitting at court side without any other solutions.

You ppl can defend Verge all you want, but I am just going by what I'm seeing with my own 2 eyes. Last year, the problem on offense supposedly was that the ball stopped in (Teddy Allen's) hands. This year, it almost never leaves Alonzo's.

I know how team ball works. I never played at a high level and I never coached at a high level but I experienced what happens when one guy tries to be THAT guy on every possession. Everyone else goes to shit waiting for him to do his thing. You're not shooting your best because you start to take shots whenever the ball comes your way because you start to think if you don't take that shot, you're never going to see the ball again on that possession.

That's why a team full of decent to good shooters can't shoot for shit.

This group of players is not functioning as a team, as a unit. There's not a lot of ball movement. Very little making the kind of extra pass that Michigan did last night to find open shooters. Not a lot of movement without the ball. But there's a lot of Alonzo Verge essentially going 1-on-5 to the rim. And, yeah, a lot of the time he makes the shot. But his teammates are just standing around with not a lot to do.

And Verge will NEVER score enough points to beat another team by himself.

I was on a team once with one absolutely superb player (it wasn't me) and we lost a lot of games because, by himself, he couldn't outscore a team of mediocre-to-decent players who played together as a team.

That's what I see when I see Verge handle the ball for an entire possession. Even though he might be efficient, he's never going to be able to outscore the other team. We'd be far better off to get the other players involved by actually running an offense.

But it looks like we'll ride the Verge train all year and he's going to put up a lot of points and we're going to lose a lot of games and I guess that's just the way it's gonna be.

Hoiberg has always had that 1 player that thinks he is better than the rest of the team and it rubs off on to the rest with bad attitudes. From the very first game this year I knew it was going to be this way.. 

Curious to see if he rides verge out to his possible firing or if he will change things up.  We are capable but when you have some one consistently taking contested shots and his teammates are wide open but they never get the ball your confidence drains pretty quick. 

They need to watch the girls. Average 20 assists a game. Maybe have 1 player over 10 pts and the rest spread out to almost 10 points. 

Team playing has been missing last 3 years 

24 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

On Nebraska handling adversity:

“In Indiana, I thought we competed maybe as well as we had all year especially on the defensive end and tonight the lack of shot making just completely affected everything. It sucked the air out of the building. Again, that is the true test of the type of year you are going to have, is how you handle adversity. We have handled it pretty well for the most part but tonight was about as bad as I have ever been a part of as far as handling adversity.”

That's because we jacked up 35 3's and missed all but 4 of them.

You know what good coaches do when 3's aren't falling?. They work on getting some easy shots.

Fred damn well knows that you get better looks at 3's when you can get to the rim. 

I was curious as to what Juwan would say. Must be really awkward looking for something positive to say about your opponent when he knows that was some of the worst basketball he has likely ever seen in his life.

I though I would have calmed down since last night, but I haven't.

I honestly was hoping some heads would would roll this morning.

THANK YOU. 

Maybe if you can't hit 3's - don't shoot 35 of them? 

31 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Sipple is pretty connected though often viewed as a mouthpiece for the university as part of that access.  He threw Abdelmassih under the bus before he got to the 10 minute mark of his radio show today. Doesn't take a dot connecting expert to conclude it's a mess on the court because it's a mess off the court.

So what is he implying??  Whats up with Matty A??  Is there more to the story or what?

Edited by ConkintheCorner

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You ppl can defend Verge all you want, but I am just going by what I'm seeing with my own 2 eyes. Last year, the problem on offense supposedly was that the ball stopped in (Teddy Allen's) hands. This year, it almost never leaves Alonzo's.

I know how team ball works. I never played at a high level and I never coached at a high level but I experienced what happens when one guy tries to be THAT guy on every possession. Everyone else goes to shit waiting for him to do his thing. You're not shooting your best because you start to take shots whenever the ball comes your way because you start to think if you don't take that shot, you're never going to see the ball again on that possession.

That's why a team full of decent to good shooters can't shoot for shit.

This group of players is not functioning as a team, as a unit. There's not a lot of ball movement. Very little making the kind of extra pass that Michigan did last night to find open shooters. Not a lot of movement without the ball. But there's a lot of Alonzo Verge essentially going 1-on-5 to the rim. And, yeah, a lot of the time he makes the shot. But his teammates are just standing around with not a lot to do.

And Verge will NEVER score enough points to beat another team by himself.

I'm not saying Verge isn't A problem. I'm saying he isn't THE problem.

3 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I also heard a “rumor” about Matt A having a negative impact off the court with chemistry. I will say, it comes from a fairly credible source who has access to the team but I will also say it’s just a rumor in my mind….

@Faux Mike Peltz this isn't directed at you specifically but rather a response to similar comments.

I think we should stay away from throwing any assistants or players under the bus. Ultimately this falls on Fred.

15 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I also heard a “rumor” about Matt A having a negative impact off the court with chemistry. I will say, it comes from a fairly credible source who has access to the team but I will also say it’s just a rumor in my mind….

Not sure on chemistry but perhaps a problem with his recruiting “tactics?”….it would be very on brand for Nebrasketball to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar and still have the worst roster in the Big Ten

24 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So what is he implying??  Whats up with Matty A??  Is there more to the story or what?

He's saying our shooting issues are recruiting issues and that Abdelmassih recruits all of the players.

It's not so much what he said as much as he's name dropping an assistant and that assistant also happens to be on leave. 

This is the check engine light going from solid to flashing.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

THANK YOU. 

Maybe if you can't hit 3's - don't shoot 35 of them? 

Whoa whoa whoa wait a sec.

You and I have had this discussion before during the Miles era and YOU said the guy with the open shot should still take it even if he's not a good shooter. And I went along with you on that.

Seems like this comment contradicts your position from a few years ago. Am I misremembering?