uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 14; ed 10 - vs Michigan

uneblinstu

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

When you have Trey out there we have more than enough guards so you're talking about playing another guy in an already bloated rotation simply to see if you get anything. I think it's more likely that McPherson is a 4 year college kid than he is a going to the NBA kid so it makes sense to actually try and develop him instead of just burning through yet another guy.

Good call. This is working well

This is legitimately the worst Nebraska team I've ever seen. I've lived and died with every team since 1995.

The Craig Wortman/Ross Buckendahl teams were better with zero talent. They played hard, stayed competitive more times than not and actually appeared to be coached.

Fred should be ashamed that he's collecting the paycheck that he is. His team isn't coached - it isn't prepared - it doesn't play hard - it plays disinterested - and he has the passion/life of a box turtle.

When you consider expectations coming into this season - an NBA coach - an NBA quality arena - a 5 star one and done player with 4 stars all around - this has to be the most disappointing team and season in Nebraska history. 

This team won't win more than 4 conference games and that's honestly a longshot at this point.

I was very wrong about going "all in" on you Fred. You make me look like a complete moron and like I have no credibility.

9 minutes ago, hhcdave said:

This is legitimately the worst Nebraska team I've ever seen. I've lived and died with every team since 1995.

The Craig Wortman/Ross Buckendahl teams were better with zero talent. They played hard, stayed competitive more times than not and actually appeared to be coached.

Fred should be ashamed that he's collecting the paycheck that he is. His team isn't coached - it isn't prepared - it doesn't play hard - it plays disinterested - and he has the passion/life of a box turtle.

When you consider expectations coming into this season - an NBA coach - an NBA quality arena - a 5 star one and done player with 4 stars all around - this has to be the most disappointing team and season in Nebraska history. 

This team won't win more than 4 conference games and that's honestly a longshot at this point.

I was very wrong about going "all in" on you Fred. You make me look like a complete moron and like I have no credibility.

🔥

100% agree Dave. This team is embarrassing. This staff should be embarrassed. For as “talented” as these players are supposedly on paper, they resemble the furthest thing from a good “team”. And I think that’s the biggest factor, it’s a collection of individuals with no chemistry or cohesion. It was pretty telling postgame when Kent asked Fred who are the leaders who will step up and try and right this ship and he said “Trey.” Well yeah there you go. We have one leader on this team and he’s in a boot in the corner. 

1 minute ago, GoBigFred said:

🔥

100% agree Dave. This team is embarrassing. This staff should be embarrassed. For as “talented” as these players are supposedly on paper, they resemble the furthest thing from a good “team”. And I think that’s the biggest factor, it’s a collection of individuals with no chemistry or cohesion. It was pretty telling postgame when Kent asked Fred who are the leaders who will step up and try and right this ship and he said “Trey.” Well yeah there you go. We have one leader on this team and he’s in a boot in the corner. 

But hey at least the players are cashing those NIL deals on their way out the door.

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

I want my season ticket money back too.  Ive been to 2 games this year and that will probably be all.  Not worth making the drive from Omaha to waste a bunch of money on crappy food at crappy restaurants around there to see this crappy product.  The fact that I cant even have a beer at that arena blows my mind.  I feel really bad for Kent.  That dude needs to see a tourney win. 

The food at PBA peaked in the first year and progressively has sucked each year after. Two bottles of water, two hot dogs, and two nachos. $31. Only other option is pizza. 

I've been a diehard since the 90s (37 years old), and remember being at the BOB during Sek and Ryan's senior year watching them go 2-14 in conference, thinking that year was rock bottom 🤣.  I even attended senior night, another loss, but I still loved their fight. I've been to countless games at both the BOB and PBA. I often drive from Fremont to 5-10 games per year. For the first time ever, not including games I've had a legit reason to miss, I shut it off once we got down 31-18. It was apparent tonight wasn't happening. I'll still tune in, but until I see a team that cares, I won't hesitate to shut it off going forward.

Edited by jason2486

notes and quotes

Nebraska Postgame Notes

• Alonzo Verge Jr. posted a season-high 31 points, the most by a Husker this season. It marked Verge’s second career 30 point game (other was against Saint Mary’s when he was at Arizona State in 2019).

• Michigan shot 51.3 percent, a season-high against Nebraska and was the first team to shoot over 50 percent against Nebraska this season. Michigan’s 102 points was the most against NU in Pinnacle Bank Arena

• Keisei Tominaga reached double figures for the fifth time this season with 11 points.

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg

On energy being off for the team tonight:

“I have never been a part of one like this where we just quit competing. It is so discouraging. Missed shots really affected our energy all over the floor. After playing a game last week and a couple days ago at Indiana where the shots were not falling in, we competed and guarded and rebounded and followed the game plan. Today, we were completely out of it.”

On looking ahead to the game on Thursday:

“We are going to get out there and we are going to compete on Thursday, and we are going to find guys that want to go out and play hard.”

On Nebraska handling adversity:

“In Indiana, I thought we competed maybe as well as we had all year especially on the defensive end and tonight the lack of shot making just completely affected everything. It sucked the air out of the building. Again, that is the true test of the type of year you are going to have, is how you handle adversity. We have handled it pretty well for the most part but tonight was about as bad as I have ever been a part of as far as handling adversity.”

On Alonzo Verge Jr.:

“I thought Alonzo (Verge Jr.) scored it well. I thought he had some pop to him. I thought he made really good plays early trying to get other guys involved. Obviously, he scored the ball very well and efficiently in the paint.”

Nebraska Forward Derrick Walker

On the struggles tonight

“It started at shooting around, just focusing on the little things. Obviously, we didn't come out as a team like how we should have. There was no energy between us and we got to be better than that. That was embarrassing for us, and we know that and now we have to do everything we can to fix it.”

On moving forward after this game

“It is really important, especially this next game. Any game, no one is going to give us in this league. We have to find some point to turn it on. This next game will be very critical for us just to get our fill back. We have not really shot well, so we just need to do everything we can and just get back to being a Nebraska team and I felt like we were not a Nebraska team at all tonight. “

On challenges against opponents

“He is taller than me by a few inches. So, for me with any opponent, it is just to push him out, push him away from the room and make them uncomfortable. If he makes it, then he makes it, but I just try to push him out. Nothing comes easy with me. So, if you want to score me against me , you have to work for it.”

Michigan Coach Juwan Howard

On what he saw from Nebraska on film

“They are a well-coached team that does a really good job of sharing the basketball. They have so much talent on the floor starting with Alonzo Verge. It’s hard to keep him in front. This kid is very elite level when he has the ball in his hands. Tominaga is a very elite level shooter. McGowens is going to be special with his length and skill set and then Walker who does a great job creating plays not just for himself but for others. Defensively, we tried not to give them anything easy and as you can see that’s tough to do.”

On the ball movement during their run in the first half

“I was extremely happy to see how the ball was moving. It was popping. It was great to see our guys sharing the ball. There were times when we passed the ball for a better shot when another guy was open. We did a really good job driving the ball and not just settling for jumpers.”

I hope Fred is seriously looking at his system and players like he said after the game.  This is not remotely working with this group of kids.  When you are this bad shooting, we need to slow it down and grind it out.  Something had to change to see if the lights will go on in their heads.  We just look so dysfunctional right now.  And put Trevor in the darn game.  Maybe he can actually hit a three.

10 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I've owned box turtles and I think the species would be pissed at this comparison.  I'd watch your back at the local pet store.