MINNESOTA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Sweated that one out. Somehow we prevailed. Sam took the team on her shoulders and pulled us through.  Any B1G win is good. B1G road games are tough.

The subs usually score well, but tonight, poor shooting. Let Minn. get back into game.  Team's three shooting wasn't too good either. Give Minn some credit...they were defending the 3 shot pretty well.

On to the next three non conference games. Take them one at a time. Must see improvement from the whole team...but...we did pull off the win !.

Edited by redsteve

IMHO, I think our Biggest problem is other team's ability to make us feel uncomfortable so that we miss easy shots and lay-ups, particuarly late in the game.  Fatigue may play a part in it but with our depth this year shouldn't be much of a factor.  Looking at the Stats for the game, we should have won rather easily, in double digits, rather than in a nail-biter.  

I think the biggest problem the coaching staff will have is overcoming our propensity to miss easy shots because of pressure.

Probably always out of sync because the radio is almost always a little ahead of the tv (over the air radio waves are faster than cable-tv electronics); and you can't pause the radio, nor speed-up the tv (as much as we might like to do sometimes   lol.gif). 

What you might try is listening to Matt & Jeff on the Huskers App (smart phone or computer) over the internet, that you can pause (at least for a few seconds).
If you are dvr'ing the game you should also be able to pause the tv.   Pause the one that's ahead of the other until they more closely match up (I find it's easiest to sync right after a basket is made since you can see it on the tv, then hear the announcers call it, or vice versa.  wink.gif )
Yes, you can pause the radio. I bought an audio delay that allows me to sync to the TV or stream.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

starting five played great. Scoggins is one of the most improved players I have seen at NU. Last year, she was a shooter, and adequate distributer, but questionable defensively. This year she retains her shot of course, the presence of Shelly as another distributor cause defenses to not be able to focus on her, and she seems to me to be a step faster/quicker on defense.  Reduction of minutes and consequent rest might also contribute to her ability to defend aggressively.

For the first time this year, the bench didn't contribute much. Markowski, with the ball in her hands under the basket, seemed seemed hurried - I think she missed five. Weidner, perhaps bc her minutes are limited might be trying to do too much - make something happen immediately - and gets a little wild.  Her one bullet pass to a teammate under the basket was unexpected and too hot to handle but would have been a thing of beauty had it been caught. I thought Coley would be better defensively on #40, but no one was able to stay with her explosive first step toward to hoop.  

Having the benefit of one conference game against better-than-so-far competition playing fierce defense .... that might turn the next three games into better learning experiences for the freshmen.

Jazz Shelly ....what a find! Might develop into the best Husker player of the last decade

I think we subbed ourselves out of a nice flow to the game that we had going. Granted MN defense was going to step it up but some of that was our own doing. I was not surprised by the play from our bench. They need to get up to speed with B1G play. Missing those point blank shots will come back to bite us with better teams. Will take the win even when we play below what we are capable of. 

1 hour ago, Tom Jones said:

Jazz Shelly ....what a find! Might develop into the best Husker player of the last decade

i think fans can be grateful huskers have Bourne and Porter on the squad......otherwise, Shelly may have never even given Nebraska a look. if i remember correctly, Shelly stated it was a very big part of her decision.

I love where our team is at right now and we have some extra practice time coming up over the next 3 game home stand to work on some things.  We gave up too many offensive rebounds which has been a problem at times in the past.  Izzy needs to be a better rebounder as she had only one last night.  She is not rebounding as well statically as last year but I'm sure the competition was concentrating on blocking out Kate Cain.

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

hopefully, markowski can adjust.......i thought she looked rather intimidated with her shot against minny. gonna need her.

i watched the game again...maybe "intimidated" is not the right word? most of her shots were off the glass and hitting the opposite side of the rim with one that banked off the glass and missed hitting any part of the rim. she did have that beautiful left-handed reverse layup. i think she just may have been a little too stoked for her first Big Ten game. i noticed a couple of times on the defensive end minny was right on her back and she couldn't even jump for the rebound. 

Hubbard??? 2pts? that defense against Haiby on one of her late layups? ummm, her body language kinda baffled me. seems like she has always been a thorn in the huskers side.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Great to get first B1G road win.  Gets that realization implanted in the team's psyche that they can lose a lead in a tough environment and still come back to win.

As many have stated, it's incredible what a difference it makes to have some true point guards on the team.  The offense has flowed so much better this year with multiple ball-handlers on the court.  The ball rarely gets stuck in a black hole and it seems like turnovers have been under control so far relative to prior years where they were a huge problem.

Three's weren't falling like they have been so they found a way to clean up in the paint.  That versatility will be very important going forward.

Glad to see Haiby take over at the end.  She seems to have settled into a second or third fiddle role (obviously, she hasn't really had to be the go to player in previous games).  Hope she begins to assert herself more.

Thought it was a real Jekyll and Hyde type of game (only watched from mid-point of 2nd quarter on).  Especially near the end - the defense would allow an uncontested drive to the basket on one possession and make a outstanding play the next to get a fast break going.  Need to be more consistent.

Sissoko for Minnesota is very athletic for her size and played great on the offensive end.  14 was unconscious for a while but finally missed badly on a huge 3 late.

15 hours ago, Red Don said:
Don't like that Raised floor @ Williams! Dangerous!!! image.gif😡

I agree.  You see players flying off the court all the time at the Barn.  I think there are a couple of other similar courts around the country.  Also sounds like it's just concrete or hard flooring off the edge.  Might be somewhat difficult to do, especially in the bench areas, but you'd think they could come up with some kind of softer surface, like tartan or wrestling mat type covering to lessen potential for injury.  Should be able to place something where Cravens went off because there appears to be an aisle between the court and the seats.

11 hours ago, rand909 said:

Yes, you can pause the radio. I bought an audio delay that allows me to sync to the TV or stream.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

:Redface: Thanks!  Now, if we could only just figure out a way to speed up the TV (say an hour or two).  :wink: