MINNESOTA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (8-0)
at Minnesota Golden Gophers (6-4)
Monday, Dec. 6, 2021, 7 p.m. (CT)
Williams Arena - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Live TV: 
BTN (Sloane Martin, Meghan McKeown)
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (6:45 p.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (ESPN 590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App

This is going to be a real test. 

Minn record at 6-4 is deceiving ....they have played good teams. UConn for one, so they have seen a lot in such a short part of the season.

We're playing there,... they get a 10 pt handicap, so because of that we must be geared up and ready. They're a better team than last year. 

This may be a Creighton style slugfest game. Whelan's not a wall flower coach, and she ain't bashful about her style. 

41 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

i also enjoy their analysis and commentary.  I do get annoyed at Jeff's excessive criticism of the officials - which is weighed way heavily in criticizing calls and no-calls that go against the Huskers 

not so much the criticizing of the refs.....just jeff trying to explain why huskers did "what they did", or, "why it happened this way"

45 minutes ago, redsteve said:

This is going to be a real test. 

Minn record at 6-4 is deceiving ....they have played good teams. UConn for one, so they have seen a lot in such a short part of the season.

We're playing there,... they get a 10 pt handicap, so because of that we must be geared up and ready. They're a better team than last year. 

This may be a Creighton style slugfest game. Whelan's not a wall flower coach, and she ain't bashful about her style. 

no doubt......it's huge because imo, this is a squad that in the long run, huskers will be fighting for that ncaa bid. plus, huskers are going to need some road wins.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

StarTrib's "Gopher Gameday":

GOPHERS WOMEN GAME DAY

vs. Nebraska, 7 p.m. at Williams Arena

TV: Big Ten Network

Radio: 96.7-FM

Gophers update: The Gophers (6-4) lost to undefeated North Carolina 82-76 Wednesday in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, but have had five days off to prepare for the Big Ten opener after playing 10 games in 22 games to start the season. Freshman F Alanna Micheaux had a breakthrough game against North Carolina, scoring 23 points on 8-for-10 shooting with seven rebounds. The rest of the team, however, shot 19-for-60 (31.7%). G Deja Winters is coming off a 17-point game vs. North Carolina, her first double-figure effort in three games. The starting backcourt of Jasmine Powell and Sara Scalia were a combined 4-for-21 vs. the Tar Heels.

Huskers update: The Huskers (8-0) won their first seven games against lesser teams, then thumped previously unbeaten Wake Forest in the Big Ten/ACC challenge 86-60. The Huskers are outscoring opponents by nearly 35 points per game, shooting 49.1% from the field overall and making 42.4% of the 22 three-pointers they average per game. Four of five starters return from last year's team and the Huskers added transfer sophomore guard Jaz Shelley,an Australian who is averaging a team-leading 15.0 points. F Isabella Bourne is averaging 11.1 points per game, former Moorhead, Minn., G Sam Haiby 8.4.

I know both Matt and Jeff talk about the refs call, no calls, makeup calls, etc. We also know that Amy and Staff can not make comments with out getting into trouble with the school, conference. I wonder do refs get reviews from games from either the school or the conference? IMHO some should not being calling games at the D1 level. It always gets me when Matt or Jeff will talk about someone who has called a final four game(s) and think we will get a good called game. They then sometimes make/miss some calls that are pretty clear. Anyway that is my rant for the day.

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i always have Matt and Jeff on the radio while watching the game on tv. even if it doesn't sync up. for the most part, a pretty good duo-------however, sometimes Jeff gets on a "roll" and says things that can have you scratching your head and wondering "what the heck did he just say?"😫😂

I love Matt's analogies, similes etc.  Usu. good for a laugh or something.  😮

5 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i always have Matt and Jeff on the radio while watching the game on tv. even if it doesn't sync up. for the most part, a pretty good duo-------however, sometimes Jeff gets on a "roll" and says things that can have you scratching your head and wondering "what the heck did he just say?"😫😂

Probably always out of sync because the radio is almost always a little ahead of the tv (over the air radio waves are faster than cable-tv electronics); and you can't pause the radio, nor speed-up the tv (as much as we might like to do sometimes   :Lol:). 

What you might try is listening to Matt & Jeff on the Huskers App (smart phone or computer) over the internet, that you can pause (at least for a few seconds).

If you are dvr'ing the game you should also be able to pause the tv.   Pause the one that's ahead of the other until they more closely match up (I find it's easiest to sync right after a basket is made since you can see it on the tv, then hear the announcers call it, or vice versa.  :wink: )

Edited by Red Don

I may be the only one, but I don't mind Jeff's commentary (even though it is a bit much sometimes, I just tune it out).  He does have some good observations that may not be obvious to someone not there in person, and well as helpful explanations to someone who's a neophyte to the game (like me  :Redface: ).

As far as sometimes talking over Matt who is calling the game, I can see the action on the tv to piece it together.  It sure beats some of the announcers (particularly for the ladies' games) who just tell you the obvious things that you can see for yourself.

I