Jump to content

Hot Seat


GoBigRed
 Share

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

The thing is, while I agree with most of what you said, it's not plausible at this point. Trev has a football facility to build still. 

 

What will probably happen is a Frost-esq situation, where he reduces the buyout and forces out some assistants. Do I think it's right? No honestly. 

 

Only way we get out of Fred is if he decides to willingly walk away from 18.5 million. Or takes a reduced buyout. Last one might happen, but I go back to the football facility being the primary thing he needs to use money on at the moment.

 

Only 2 months left. There's a few possibilities of what might happen. Trev has a decision to make regardless

Why would Hoiberg agree to this, though. Frost did because he truly wants to be here. No way Hoiberg cares about Nebraska enough to give up millions to see this thing out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You also have to think about who we’d hire if the move is made this year. It won’t be a high commodity coach if we have to also buy out their contract and offer them a desirable deal to match what better programs can more easily offer. 
 

We’d be best off going after Gates at Cleveland State imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

Why would Hoiberg agree to this, though. Frost did because he truly wants to be here. No way Hoiberg cares about Nebraska enough to give up millions to see this thing out 


Hoiberg has no allegiance to this university. His and his lawyers counter to Trev’s renegotiation will pry be “get to know my contract better”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

Why would Hoiberg agree to this, though. Frost did because he truly wants to be here. No way Hoiberg cares about Nebraska enough to give up millions to see this thing out 

Fair point honestly. If Fred wants to be stubborn with it, that's fine. That's what Trev will pitch though I imagine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

Why would Hoiberg agree to this, though. Frost did because he truly wants to be here. No way Hoiberg cares about Nebraska enough to give up millions to see this thing out 


Come on guys, we hold some cards here. Do any of you believe that Fred would want to come back again next year and put up an even worse record? There’s gotta be a big part of him that doesn’t think it would be worth the money.

 

If we don’t agree to a buyout, he’s stuck with this shit sandwich. Don’t forget it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I was just gonna say. Football coaches, new facility, memorial upgrades - all take priority. No way they drop millions on the biggest basketball buyout of all time when there is money needed for football. Maybe Trev pulls a rabbit out of a hat and convinces him to leave with an reduced buyout or fires him for cause, but I don’t see anyway they’d get rid of him if it’ll cost 18+ Million.

I just don't buy this logic yet. And this isn't directed at you. I just see this posted a lot as the barrier to firing Hoiberg. There seems to be an assumption that is being look at as fact. And that assumption is Hoiberg is going to renegotiate his contract.

 

That actual fact is he has a contract. He gets 18 and some change million if he's fired this year. Next Year 15 mil. Year after 12ish. 18 mil is not being saved If he's not fired this year.  3 million is. Then 6 million. Then 9.

 

Hoiberg can't be oblivious to the situation. At this point it looks like it would take a miracle to turn this around even if he is given every resource he could ever want. 

 

I just don't see why everyone is positive this renegotiated contract is coming. 

 

 

***Looks like a lot of us had the same thought as I was typing this 😂

 

Edited by cornfed24-7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:


Come on guys, we hold some cards here. Do any of you believe that Fred would want to come back again next year and put up an even worse record? There’s gotta be a big part of him that doesn’t think it would be worth the money.

 

If we don’t agree to a buyout, he’s stuck with this shit sandwich. Don’t forget it.


For the amount of money he’s contractually obligated to receive I would say yes. He’ll pry agree to some

staff changes, but I think he truly believes one of these years it’s just going to click with the talent he randomly brings in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trev: “Fred, listen, if you decide before the end of April that you don’t want to come back and coach here next year, let me know and we can probably release you from your contract.”

 

Fred: “Trev, my buyout is $18.5 million. That’s our deal.”

 

Trev: “OK, well, I guess we’ll look forward to seeing what you can do next season then.”

 

Fred: “Wait, can we talk about this … Trev? Trev?!”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

I can't remember the details, but wasn't there some clause about taking an NBA front/backoffice job?

 

I suspect we'd be willing to waive the amount a NBA team would need to pay us to hire Fred

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I just don't buy this logic yet. And this isn't directed at you. I just see this posted a lot as the barrier to firing Hoiberg. There seems to be an assumption that is being look at as fact. And that assumption is Hoiberg is going to renegotiate his contract.

 

That actual fact is he has a contract. He gets 18 and some change million if he's fired this year. Next Year 15 mil. Year after 12ish. 18 mil is not being saved If he's not fired this year.  3 million is. Then 6 million. Then 9.

 

Hoiberg can't be oblivious to the situation. At this point it looks like it would take a miracle to turn this around even if he is given every resource he could ever want. 

 

I just don't see why everyone is positive this renegotiated contract is coming. 

 

 

***Looks like a lot of us had the say thought as I was typing this 😂

 

I feel like we would fire Hoiberg straight up if Frost was stable. But Trev is gonna want ammo if we go 3-9 and Frost is canned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

He has to be wondering "what in god's name was bill moos doing?" 

I know nothing of the situation, but apparently the internet believes he drank, spent gobs of someone else's cash, and had a generally good time while he was in Nebraska. "Nebraskans! Great F#@$ing Hosts!" new tourism idea I had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Well, I believe Alberts gave Frost a couple of options….one was to end his time as the HC. 
 

I don’t think Trev has the leverage here. Fred may or may not agree to changing staff or personnel. But I think he will definitely do everything he can to ensure his full current buyout is paid


He has no reason not to. I think he’s very content getting paid and trying again next year with a new PG that isn’t worried about getting his shots and a hopefully competent big to spell Walker if he returns. Not to mention a healthy leader in Trey if he chooses to stay too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:


He has no reason not to. I think he’s very content getting paid and trying again next year with a new PG that isn’t worried about getting his shots and a hopefully competent big to spell Walker if he returns. Not to mention a healthy leader in Trey if he chooses to stay too. 

I think kieta can spell Walker well. Oleg has size and he moves well in warm ups, I don't expect much from him though next year. Need the adults to play in the middle in Walker and kieta. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would ask Fred to reduce his buyout by $3 million or so and we will make this as amicable as possible. Or bet on yourself and run it back but there will be no staff changes. If a member of the staff leaves, we will fill it as cheaply as possible on a one year deal. If we could get it down to $15 million or so, and get a few checks from some donors, I think we could swing it. But at that point, Trev should be praying to God, nature, aliens, or whatever the hell he believes in that Frost can start ripping off some wins.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:


Come on guys, we hold some cards here. Do any of you believe that Fred would want to come back again next year and put up an even worse record? There’s gotta be a big part of him that doesn’t think it would be worth the money.

 

If we don’t agree to a buyout, he’s stuck with this shit sandwich. Don’t forget it.

He hasn’t had season above .500 in 5-6 years so he’s used to it by now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...