Hot Seat

GoBigRed

1 minute ago, hhcmatt said:

Did MA regularly attend Nebraska HS games in the past? (I genuinely don't know)

I feel like I've seen him there a few times. You might have a point there though. I'm just pointing it out because I think it's interesting. I don't believe he was at the Link academy and Sunrise game a few weeks ago and while he was spearheading Omaha billews recruitment (if my memory is correct)

Other side, recruiting class is full until after the season. From there, hey can pick from the leftovers of who's available and who's hit the portal. Portal is also his "expertise". So few layers to it for sure

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

Abdelmassih has been on the HOL podcast a handful of times. It's obvious to draw that line. 

I also don't believe I've seen Abdelmassih out recruiting like I have Loesner. I think Fred even went to a game. 

"I think Fred even went to a game".   Wow, the guy making 3.6 million or whatever it is actually went to a game.   Helluva concept.         

9 minutes ago, HB said:

"I think Fred even went to a game".   Wow, the guy making 3.6 million or whatever it is actually went to a game.   Helluva concept.         

I normally don't look too far into that. I'm a proponent of you hiring someone to do a job that makes the collective whole better and fills weaknesses in the existing composition of the team. So if that means he's got a guy/gal who can get it done with little supervision, so be it.

The difference here... I question if he's got the right guy. And if he does, are they aligned on philosophy and team needs? These are basic questions that should've been vetted out early on.

16 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I normally don't look too far into that. I'm a proponent of you hiring someone to do a job that makes the collective whole better and fills weaknesses in the existing composition of the team. So if that means he's got a guy/gal who can get it done with little supervision, so be it.

The difference here... I question if he's got the right guy. And if he does, are they aligned on philosophy and team needs? These are basic questions that should've been vetted out early on.

Have to respectfully disagree.   The head coach, especially at Nebraska, has to be actively engaged in recruiting.   Can't delegate that completely and be successful.   But yes, to the extent he hired a general manager, he didn't get the right guy.  

3 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

So if Fred does make a change and gets rid of Matt A who on earth is he going to get to come into this dumpster fire and recruit…

Most every other team in D-1 has 3 assistant coaches who recruit AND coach.  We pay real well. This isn't some groundbreaking change we're talking about here.

19 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Im sure a lot of coaches would still take a chance to work under Fred… even despite the past three years.

Yeah, desire the track record this year he's an incredible basketball mind. Something just hasn't clicked here on the floor. A lot to do with him honestly, but he just didn't forget his basketball knowledge. 

There’s no way Hoiberg wants to come back next year right? I realize it’s apples to oranges but if I was failing miserably at a job and basically was out of people in my corner - I’d want to bail as soon as I had an opening to do so. Sure sticking it out and getting a massive pay day would be motivation, but not having to stick it out and getting half a massive pay day would sound even better. 

22 hours ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

He also talked about needing to make staff changes and “possibly major staff changes” just like Frost did with football. And if Robin is saying it then that means that’s what Abdelmassih is communicating to him. Robin is Matt’s puppet.

Matt told Robin and Robin told Connor that someone ELSE is getting fired. Matt hopes. Because the alternative ...

Bwahahahahahaha

14 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

There’s no way Hoiberg wants to come back next year right? I realize it’s apples to oranges but if I was failing miserably at a job and basically was out of people in my corner - I’d want to bail as soon as I had an opening to do so. Sure sticking it out and getting a massive pay day would be motivation, but not having to stick it out and getting half a massive pay day would sound even better. 

I would think "massive pay day" would light a fire underneath someone to want to be successful, not cause them to sleepwalk into a buyout. But then I've never been incentivized to fail that spectacularly before, either.

Maybe, just maybe Fred wants to get this RIGHT rather than walk away. I can’t believe money is any type of motivation at this point in time regardless of the amount. There hasn’t been any noise about Nebraska Basketball since I don’t know when. We couldn’t even make the Dance with a 13-5 record & spare me the Conference was down talk. The 5th place team played for the Title, that’s a sign of depth not mediocrity. Point being, I’d be more surprised if he walked away than got fired, and I don’t think he’s getting fired…

21 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Maybe, just maybe Fred wants to get this RIGHT rather than walk away. I can’t believe money is any type of motivation at this point in time regardless of the amount. There hasn’t been any noise about Nebraska Basketball since I don’t know when. We couldn’t even make the Dance with a 13-5 record & spare me the Conference was down talk. The 5th place team played for the Title, that’s a sign of depth not mediocrity. Point being, I’d be more surprised if he walked away than got fired, and I don’t think he’s getting fired…

If he mutually agrees to part ways, did he walk away or did he get fired?

1 hour ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

In the premier league when fans have soured on a coach (manager) a common chant directed at the coach is ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ on repeat. It’s both brutal and funny and maybe beneath most ‘nice’ Nebraska fans. Dare I say, it’s kinda what this staff needs to hear tomorrow. 

I like this one too:

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

We couldn’t even make the Dance with a 13-5 record & spare me the Conference was down talk.

Unpopular opinion. Our team that year had a pretty terrible tournament resume, and if it were any other team we probably would all understand why they were left out. **Ducks**

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Unpopular opinion. Our team that year had a pretty terrible tournament resume, and if it were any other team we probably would all understand why they were left out. **Ducks**

I don’t want to dwell on events from 5 years ago now, but when you’re on a list of ONE, regarding B1G Conference teams to be excluded from the Dance with that finish, it’s absurd on it’s face.