Hot Seat

GoBigRed

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I don't think that's accurate...

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/extension-hefty-buyout-part-of-hoiberg-contract-that-was-quietly-revised-in-2020/article_668a9258-cdd7-5fd8-acb9-009ecd1323f0.html

The language of Hoiberg's contract would also make it financially difficult for the coach to leave for another Division I job in the first five years of his deal.

If Hoiberg was to resign at Nebraska for another DI job, he would have owed Nebraska $11.5 million after Year 1, $10.25 million after Year 2, $8.75 million after Year 3 (this year), $7 million after Year 4, and $5.25 million after Year 5.

However, if Hoiberg were to resign for a basketball position (coaching or executive position) outside of NCAA DI (i.e. the NBA), he would owe Nebraska $2.5 million after Year 1, $2 million after Year 2, $1.5 million after Year 3, $500,000 after Year 4 and $250,000 after Year 5.

In either scenario, Hoiberg would not owe the school anything should he leave in the final two years of his deal.

The part quoted talks about him leaving voluntarily. That has never been in my thought process.

Here is the part of the article relevant to him being fired.

That means Hoiberg would be owed $18.5 million if he were fired after this season — $3.5 million for each of the five years after this season plus the $1 million in retention bonuses.

We are in a really bad spot here...really bad if we want to outright fired him. We'd owe him everything.

FH is also in a bad spot as he can't just leave otherwise he would owe us. 

While our bad spot is financial Fred's bad spot is his reputation. 

If there is a parting of ways it will be a negotiated buyout.

8 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

We are in a really bad spot here...really bad if we want to outright fired him. We'd owe him everything.

Agreed on all fronts here.

12 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

The part quoted talks about him leaving voluntarily. That has never been in my thought process.

Here is the part of the article relevant to him being fired.

But Nebraska would never make Fred pay us to leave, right? I’m sure Trev has already let it be known if Fred finds an nba job he wanted, he could just leave and anything he owed us would be waived. 

11 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

But Nebraska would never make Fred pay us to leave, right? I’m sure Trev has already let it be known if Fred finds an nba job he wanted, he could just leave and anything he owed us would be waived. 

That would be ideal. The elephant in the room is that we still owe him $18.5mill over the next 5 years. 

This brings me back to negotiated buyout.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I don’t think beer generates *that* much revenue…

I’m in the beer industry, a 16oz pour will cost a bar/restaurant anywhere from ~$0.70-$2.00 depending on the style/brewery. At $10-12 per glass, the margin is very good for major venues. I’d also imagine they’re getting a bulk discount from the distributor or to keep dedicated taps etc.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I don’t think beer generates *that* much revenue…

It’s not that the revenue from beer sales would help with the steep buyout.  My point  is, Trev is faced with very difficult decision.  Fire Fred, and it’s beaucoup buyout.  Keep Fred and he’s faced with an unenthusiastic fan base, and selling season tickets is going to be a challenge.  If fans know beer can be purchased at PBA games for the first time, season ticket sales might be sustained, at least for another year.  So financially speaking, Trev could hold out one more year and keep Fred, thereby punting the buyout problem down the road, and hope to God he can turn it around next season.

1 hour ago, Vinny said:

I’m in the beer industry, a 16oz pour will cost a bar/restaurant anywhere from ~$0.70-$2.00 depending on the style/brewery. At $10-12 per glass, the margin is very good for major venues. I’d also imagine they’re getting a bulk discount from the distributor or to keep dedicated taps etc.

Yay math! Busy at the moment but this seems like an easy calculation I am going to do when I get some time UNLESS someone beats me to it 😘

I'm confused...U of A in Tucson started selling beer a few seasons ago, probably saw the train wreck of the Sumlin era coming, and crowds did not increase or stay the same, they shrunk. Three dreadful seasons of Sumlin and one bad ( but too soon to tell) season of Fisch and MLS preseason is likely to draw bigger crowds. (The 4th Avenue St Fair does) I can sit home and watch a team quit on a coach with beers that cost less than half stadium prices. Why would anyone be enticed by overpriced beer if they no longer buying into the team?

Beer is not keeping the arena full.

6 hours ago, hhcscott said:

I'm confused...U of A in Tucson started selling beer a few seasons ago, probably saw the train wreck of the Sumlin era coming, and crowds did not increase or stay the same, they shrunk. Three dreadful seasons of Sumlin and one bad ( but too soon to tell) season of Fisch and MLS preseason is likely to draw bigger crowds. (The 4th Avenue St Fair does) I can sit home and watch a team quit on a coach with beers that cost less than half stadium prices. Why would anyone be enticed by overpriced beer if they no longer buying into the team?

Beer is not keeping the arena full.

I’m not saying it would bring more people in. I wouldn’t go just because of it. But I would definitely enjoy a beer or two when at a game. Especially a baseball or football game. It’s quite nice enjoying a day, a beer and a game. 

And if folks are talking adding alcohol sales to offset one, or two potentially, huge buyouts, I was just saying how many we’d have sell to make up for eating those buyouts. It’s a lot of beer.

Faux Mike has a point as well. I’m sure at PBA especially 100% of beer revenue would not be heading back to the athletic department.

13 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

It's his 1st season.

For reference here are the 4 previous seasons before Miles got there:

SEASON W - Overall L - Overall W/L % - Overall W - Conf L - Conf W/L % - Conf
2020-21 5 16 0.238 2 12 0.143
2019-20 7 24 0.226 3 15 0.167
2018-19 4 27 0.129 1 17 0.056
2017-18 4 26 0.133 1 17 0.056

Hey now, don’t bring facts into the discussion 

27 minutes ago, Jugular said:

Hey now, don’t bring facts into the discussion 

It's actually much worse than that.

From the 1988/89 season to now they have had 2 winning seasons. During that same time frame they have had 1 winning conference season.

Interestingly enough, during that same time frame they qualified for the NCAA tourney during the 1995/96 season by winning the Big West Conference tournament. They finished the season 13-17.

11 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Is it just me or is it demoralizing that we could have used $18.5M some other way to really elevate our program to heights it hasn't experienced before? Instead it all just goes to one man and Uncle Sam.

Serious question, what more can be done at this point? Is there anything missing that we can control to make this a more attractive spot for coaches and recruits?

9 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Serious question, what more can be done at this point? Is there anything missing that we can control to make this a more attractive spot for coaches and recruits?

Hand the 18.5 million in a paper bag(I mean nil) directly to recruits?

I'm sorry you said serious question. That is the challenge. We already changed everything, we thought for the better, in the last ten years and are getting blown out by Northwestern and compared unfavorably to Wyoming. 

19 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Miles is currently winless (0-10) in the Mountain West Conference.  And has a 36 point home loss to CSU (how ironic), a 25 point loss to UNLV, a 30 point home loss to Fresno St., a 20 point road loss to Fresno St., multiple other 16+ point losses.  

And?