Hot Seat

GoBigRed

1 hour ago, doc1394 said:

He hasn’t had season above .500 in 5-6 years so he’s used to it by now 

NBA doesn't count. Half the teams make the playoffs. The Wizards made it last year with a 34-38 record. Being under .500 in the NBA is common.

There is a HUGE difference between being "under .500" and being 7-25. Seven wins in a season is historic levels of futility and he's putting three of those in a row.

I really doubt he'd be interested in adding to such a legacy.

But if you think he has the stomach for it, go ahead and put your money up to buy him out at full price.

5 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

32 days til the big ten tournament starts. Will be very curious to see what happens 33 days from now. 

Yeah, I wonder who our 2nd round opponent will be and if we will make adjustments from the loss(es) to them earlier in the season.  Interesting and curious indeed.  😀

6 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I feel like we would fire Hoiberg straight up if Frost was stable. But Trev is gonna want ammo if we go 3-9 and Frost is canned. 

Won’t have anything to do with it.  Trev has standards and expectations of how each program operates.   He will hold coaches to them.   Non-negotiable.  

Just talking out loud here a bit ... if there's not a bunch of crap going on behind the scenes that Trev finds especially unforgivable and irreparable I think Fred will be approached about restructuring much like Frost was, but I'm not so apt to think Fred will accept it. This may force Trev's hand and he would move forward with firing or leave it alone for another year. I'm not so sure Fred is hoping to continue at this point. I would imagine a bit of time out of the game and a potential front office job in the NBA or the like might be more his speed at this point. I don't know ... I'm just brainstorming here.

There are a lot of diehards in here ... we've been through a whole lot of mediocre basketball through the years, but this is epically bad ... the last decade especially (save for a hot streak in 2014). It felt a lot better being moderately competitive and especially under-talented with a lot of our past teams in comparison to this crap. I am remaining a season ticket holder, but just barely. This is by far the least amount of home games I've ever attended going back to 30 years of season tickets (and I even lived 2 hours away in the beginning).

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Bill Moos had a chance to hire a guy who won four NCAA tourney games in four seasons before going to coach in the NBA. On paper, it made sense.

In hindsight it’s still a no brainer. Obviously no one saw this level of futility coming down the track. It’s easy to forget how recently THAT level of success was considered not “good enough” but here we are …

I keep coming back to if he's fired this year with the whole buyout it's going to be hard to pony up for a quality coach. Does anyone know what his buyout is after next year? On the other hand if he stays he's got a decent class coming in next year. Maybe the new coach the year could in the year after and have some talent? If he leaves this year the new coach would have nothing. Assuming Trevs words regarding patience weren't just BS I think Fred gets another year.

49 minutes ago, coughunter said:

It wasnt and shouldnt.  Especially after 7 years

Two Top 4 finishes & a 19 win season, in 7 years. So roughly half the time you’re one of the best teams in the B1G, that was unacceptable to you? Just so we’re clear, because I grow weary of revisiting the facts regarding Miles.

8 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Does anyone know what his buyout is after next year?

It would be something like $15M.

Hence why it would be critical for Alberts to work on some sort of contract restructuring during the offseason.

Whether that means we budge and pay it all out over a longer period of time or convince Hoiberg to do something similar as Frost where he can get that same money through incentives.

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Two Top 4 finishes & a 19 win season, in 7 years. So roughly half the time you’re one of the best teams in the B1G, that was unacceptable to you? Just so we’re clear, because I grow weary of revisiting the facts regarding Miles.

5 out of 7 years finishing 10th or worse.  One year got hot, one year conference was down and schedule was weak and didnt make the tourney.  Great, i get it.  You love Miles.  Fact is he hit his ceiling and couldnt get over the hump and be consistent to compete.  7 years with his 8 lookimg at a total rebuild made sense to move on, especially if at the time you knew you could get Fred.

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Not to nit pick, but 2 out of 7 isn't near half of the time and that 19 win season was with a 6-14 conference record, which put us in the bottom four of the B1G and is where his team's resided in every other season that we didn't finish in the top 4. If his teams would have finished in the middle of the pack a couple of those years, he probably would still be here. I thought Tim was a good hire at the time (I thought Doc and Collier were good hires at the time as well) but I also thought it was the right move to move on from him. Having said that and as others have already said, I never thought in my wildest dreams that we would be where we are today under Hoiberg. Absolutely unbelievable.