Hot Seat

GoBigRed

13 hours ago, throwback said:

Sipple threw down the gauntlet this morning. Two or three wins in the next four or ....

And I'll just leave this here from the OWH's Wisconsin game story:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/we-can-t-be-static-familiar-mistakes-sink-huskers-in-a-loss-to-no-11/article_fd305704-7fc7-11ec-bd64-778f51e52e3f.html

When the two newspapers are discussing these types of things regularly before February, the seat is beyond hot.

I can remember when Sipple said Scott Frost would be Coaching the Dallas Cowboys by now, & that Tanner Lee was a “can’t miss” NFL prospect…

Sipple is a tool and Hoiberg needs to go. I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. 

What a mess we are in. Imagine having to buyout both coaches in the same fiscal year. It’s very possible. If Hoiberg goes 0-fer, I don’t see how you bring him back. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m done with Nebraska athletics until some changes get made. I’m letting our football tickets go. HAF donations, sorry, Nebraska is not getting a dime from me anymore. I stopped going to Nebraska basketball games and fully plan on not renewing our tickets, which we have had since forever. Done. You can call me a bad fan or whatever, maybe I am. I just can’t do it anymore. Just not into 3 win football coaches and whatever basketball this is. 

Edited by Busch Light

8 hours ago, Busch Light said:

Sipple is a tool and Hoiberg needs to go. I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. 

What a mess we are in. Imagine having to buyout both coaches in the same fiscal year. It’s very possible. If Hoiberg goes 0-fer, I don’t see how you bring him back. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m done with Nebraska athletics until some changes get made. I’m letting our football tickets go. HAF donations, sorry, Nebraska is not getting a dime from me anymore. I stopped going to Nebraska basketball games and fully plan on not renewing our tickets, which we have had since forever. Done. You can call me a bad fan or whatever, maybe I am. I just can’t do it anymore. Just not into 3 win football coaches and whatever basketball this is. 

I question your poor choice in beer, but not your fandom. We all have to draw our own line deciding how much emotional abuse is too much.  

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Basketball is sometimes about stringing some good games together. It's also about not losing control of your season. Here's where we are right now:

Coach Longest Wining Streak Longest Losing Streak
Collier 6 9
Sadler 11 7
Miles 6 9
Hoiberg 4 17

17 games in a row?  OUCH.  I guess I didn't realize it was that bad.  Honestly, the more "stats" that get brought up, the worse and worse this looks.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

17 games in a row?  OUCH.  I guess I didn't realize it was that bad.  Honestly, the more "stats" that get brought up, the worse and worse this looks.

Caught me off guard as well. Seems we kind of just glossed over it and chalked it up to "we have a better team next year to look forward to".

So far Hoiberg is at 9, 17, and 9* (*so far) losing streaks.

5 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Caught me off guard as well. Seems we kind of just glossed over it and chalked it up to "we have a better team next year to look forward to".

So far Hoiberg is at 9, 17, and 9* (*so far) losing streaks.

If you just use losing streaks against D1 teams (because Doane broke up an 11 game) he had a 17 game in year 1, an 11 game in year 2, and now currently on a 9 game. Double-Digit losing streaks every year tend to make progress hard.

Doc's record of never having longer than a 7 game losing streak is pretty impressive.  Especially considering the roster, facilities, and resources he inherited.  Is it weird to say that I miss Doc, considering he's on the staff currently?  Back in his heyday he was so fun to watch on the sidelines.

30 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Doc's record of never having longer than a 7 game losing streak is pretty impressive.  Especially considering the roster, facilities, and resources he inherited.  Is it weird to say that I miss Doc, considering he's on the staff currently?  Back in his heyday he was so fun to watch on the sidelines.

Those teams, despite not having the talent we do now, were fun to watch as well.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Those teams, despite not having the talent we do now, were fun to watch as well.

I get what you mean, but I also think those teams were filled with talented perimeter defenders.  Doc was clearly a defensive minded coach and recruiter.  We had some very talented defenders (Sek, Gallegos, Perry, Harley, Ade, Velander, McCray, Bear, Jeter) under his watch.  

5 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Generally, everyone knevv he could coach. It's recruiting that did him in. But I can see from this experience that I think Doc doesn't like 5 star players much. He likes guys to teach. And that's not generally the thing top recruits enjoy hearing during a recruiting pitch. 

20 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I get what you mean, but I also think those teams were filled with talented perimeter defenders.  Doc was clearly a defensive minded coach and recruiter.  We had some very talented defenders (Sek, Gallegos, Perry, Harley, Ade, Velander, McCray, Bear, Jeter) under his watch.  

Jeter made me 3/4 trap in a pick up game at the rec once. Dude was built different. 

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Jeter made me 3/4 trap in a pick up game at the rec once. Dude was built different. 

Sek and Ryan were on my summer league team their last two years at UNL.  Sek was a freak athlete and Ryan could shoot the mess out of the ball.  The chasm between most JUCO esque local summer league talent and D1 is wider than most people realize.  NBA players are basically the same thing 4-5" taller.  Insane.  

50 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Sek and Ryan were on my summer league team their last two years at UNL.  Sek was a freak athlete and Ryan could shoot the mess out of the ball.  The chasm between most JUCO esque local summer league talent and D1 is wider than most people realize.  NBA players are basically the same thing 4-5" taller.  Insane.  

You mean Sak?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Edited by Bugeaters1

Question(s)...then what?  Lets say we get rid of the coach.  I'm fine with whatever the decision is about his future...but what next?  Even if he stays we almost all seem to think a good portion of these guys will be transferring or going to try out for the NBA. Lets say we get a new coach for next year...new coach new team.  I'm guessing that if we get a new team that it will include no one that played this year...or even practiced with the team. Next year could go two ways...we suck or we look amazing...but what about the following year? Lets say we lose a bunch of guys to the NBA or the Portal again.  Lincoln just doesn't look like a destination school.  We don't send out four year players anymore on Senior Day.  We send out guys that maybe got one season in as a Husker before deciding to head to "greener pastures". 

Does whoever is coaching go for the players that might give us one maybe two years of basketball or does he(or she) go for players that might not be NBA caliber but will actually be around for three or 4 years? Maybe all the other teams are going through the same thing, but we are just getting the worst of it? I don't pay much attention to other teams. Are the days or four year players done for the most part due to the portal and the NBA being so open? Part of me wishes that the pro level programs would say "You have to show commitment to the team and the sport by staying at a school at least two years before trying out".  No more of this right out of HS or give a team one year and then bam you are gone.