Hot Seat

GoBigRed

Sipple threw down the gauntlet this morning. Two or three wins in the next four or ....

If I were in Alberts' shoes, I would monitor Nebraska's next four games very closely. If the Huskers can't come up with at least a couple of wins in a manageable stretch of the schedule, it would be almost impossible to argue Hoiberg's program is making any progress at all. 

At some point, Alberts and the Nebraska fan base need to see some semblance of progress.

So, let's see it. Show us. It's time. It's past time. 

And I'll just leave this here from the OWH's Wisconsin game story:

The Badgers aren’t the first team to expose NU’s 3-point defense. Just like they’re not the first to benefit from NU’s passing problems. Or their “lazy” approach to boxing out, which is how Bryce McGowens described it after the game. Wisconsin outrebounded Nebraska 47-34 and grabbed 13 offensive rebounds.

Nineteen games in, Nebraska still hasn’t solved the same issues it confronted in November. Western Illinois upset the Huskers on opening night, thanks to 22 offensive rebounds and six Nebraska assists. Sound familiar?

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/we-can-t-be-static-familiar-mistakes-sink-huskers-in-a-loss-to-no-11/article_fd305704-7fc7-11ec-bd64-778f51e52e3f.html

When the two newspapers are discussing these types of things regularly before February, the seat is beyond hot.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Nationally people don't consider Fred on the hot seat because no one thinks we're paying out 18.5 M.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

That certainly is a valid way to look at it. I can't imagine NU is paying that buyout amount. But the tone with which the local newspapers are covering this train wreck is certainly atypical.

1 minute ago, throwback said:

That certainly is a valid way to look at it. I can't imagine NU is paying that buyout amount. But the tone with which the local newspapers are covering this train wreck is certainly atypical.

I wonder how Sipple would feel if people started publishing articles about how Sipple needs to start showing signs of progress in his quality of writing or he'll be fired.

Accountability should work both ways ;)

If we go 0-20, and we don’t make a change, the question becomes does Trev go full honesty mode and say “look, we can’t make a change because we can’t afford it to thanks to the previous athletic director. Ideally we would make a change but we aren’t in position to do so financially.”

how else do you spin 0-20 to the fanbase? Seeing progress? Trying hard? Young talented players returning?

What an unfortunate financial disaster Moos put us in. Fred makes more money than Scott Drew. 

If Trev is planning to bring him back another year only because he has no alternative, he’s probably begging for some wins soon to not have to sell people on 0-20 or 1-19. 

4 hours ago, throwback said:

Sipple threw down the gauntlet this morning. Two or three wins in the next four or ....

And I'll just leave this here from the OWH's Wisconsin game story:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/we-can-t-be-static-familiar-mistakes-sink-huskers-in-a-loss-to-no-11/article_fd305704-7fc7-11ec-bd64-778f51e52e3f.html

When the two newspapers are discussing these types of things regularly before February, the seat is beyond hot.

totally off topic but they might as well merge the two papers into one.  You look at the LJS website and a good chunk of non sports related stores are done by the OWH reporters. 

1 minute ago, Nighthawk said:

totally off topic but they might as well merge the two papers into one.  You look at the LJS website and a good chunk of non sports related stores are done by the OWH reporters. 

They basically have.   Lots of shared content now since they have the same owner.   

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I wonder how Sipple would feel if people started publishing articles about how Sipple needs to start showing signs of progress in his quality of writing or he'll be fired.

Accountability should work both ways ;)

And what is he supposed to write about? First people complain because he is the mouthpiece of the U, then they complain when he is critical. I just don't get people that are critical of all columnists.   Maybe you should check your writing content once in a while.

Sorry.  It is impossible to put a positive spin on this.   People are angry.  Some people are already giving up their seats.  Shoot, a few years ago we had no sit Sunday; yesterday was nearly no show Thursday.

Fans had high expectations.  Those expectations were established when a decent coach was fired and a much higher profile and higher paid coach came in.  That coach then furthered the expectations by describing the shooting prowess of players like Lat; as well as other similar bravado statements that have not come to pass.  We brought in higher rated players who love to provide even more propaganda. 

Talk is flipping cheap.   If you are good, then go out and prove it.  

But hey, let's pay this non-producing dude $18,000,000 to live the life of luxury while we await someone, anyone to come in and provide a miracle by winning one flipping NCAA tournament game before I die.

Damn right, I am pissed ---let's all go out and clank another three or maybe dribble into oblivion. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreaker said:

And what is he supposed to write about? First people complain because he is the mouthpiece of the U, then they complain when he is critical. I just don't get people that are critical of all columnists.   Maybe you should check your writing content once in a while.

Some people can't take a joke.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/chatelain-huskers-many-losses-arent-the-biggest-problem-its-how-they-lose/article_24ae8ec4-8057-11ec-8537-9b1b05946d2a.html
Dirk Goes in Dry.... 
"Hoiberg called timeout and, like so many times this season, tried in vain to lift the derailed Big Red train back on the tracks. He has now coached 50 games against Big Ten competition since taking over in Lincoln three years ago.

His record? 5-45.
To put that number in perspective, consider this comparison. Nebraska basketball has played 49 games all-time against teams ranked No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3 in the country. Its record? 7-42. In other words, Hoiberg is performing as if every game is against a top-3 opponent. Worse, actually.
Put it another way: In 59 games against major-conference competition, Hoiberg is 6-53, including 35 double-digit losses. That’s worse than Nebraska’s 8-51 record at Allen Fieldhouse since 1955."

This article is amazing.  There is just no way this can continue.  

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/chatelain-huskers-many-losses-arent-the-biggest-problem-its-how-they-lose/article_24ae8ec4-8057-11ec-8537-9b1b05946d2a.html
Dirk Goes in Dry.... 
"Hoiberg called timeout and, like so many times this season, tried in vain to lift the derailed Big Red train back on the tracks. He has now coached 50 games against Big Ten competition since taking over in Lincoln three years ago.

His record? 5-45.
To put that number in perspective, consider this comparison. Nebraska basketball has played 49 games all-time against teams ranked No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3 in the country. Its record? 7-42. In other words, Hoiberg is performing as if every game is against a top-3 opponent. Worse, actually.
Put it another way: In 59 games against major-conference competition, Hoiberg is 6-53, including 35 double-digit losses. That’s worse than Nebraska’s 8-51 record at Allen Fieldhouse since 1955."

We're only 25 months away from Dirk writing about firing the next guy.

2 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

He's a dolt IMO.

Not sure what a dolt is.  Dirk is amazing as is his writing.  Everything he puts in his stories are facts and people get mad cause they dont like the reality of it.  This is a really eye opening article and crazy the stats he found.

35 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Not sure what a dolt is.  Dirk is amazing as is his writing.  Everything he puts in his stories are facts and people get mad cause they dont like the reality of it.  This is a really eye opening article and crazy the stats he found.

Dolt means dumb, stupid.