Hot Seat

GoBigRed

28 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Look at this year though.  We got stars… but we don’t have a team.  We’ve got talent, but we don’t have upperclassman.  You have to have both to be very successful in this conference.  

The “not a world beater” comments— and I’m not just singling you out either— drive me bonkers.  This is said year in and year out about someone and those that stay all 4 years always end up being someone we wish could have “just 1 more year.”

Brandon Ubel, Tai Webster, Benny Parker, Thor… the list is long of players who, while they weren’t lighting up the stat sheets, we always ended up saying “man I wish we had them for one more year to combine with XYZ recruit”

My thoughts exactly.  

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Sip this morning said its hard to brimg a coach back that goes 0-20 or 2-18.  He said is buyout only goes down about $3M a year so at that point if things stay bad, are you really losing much?  Also said Andre was very close to leaving last year which is interesting.

I think we'll win 3 games. Coach stays.

ross3.png

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Sip this morning said its hard to brimg a coach back that goes 0-20 or 2-18.  He said is buyout only goes down about $3M a year so at that point if things stay bad, are you really losing much?  Also said Andre was very close to leaving last year which is interesting.

Andre piece is a bit interesting, but not shocking imo. He was a very late add and they seemingly recruited over him with Wilhelm. Remember, Wilhelm was getting a bulk of the backup big minutes before Andres "breakout game" like the third game of the year. I personally am interested in him next year, especially if Walker comes back. Walker and kieta would be the top two in the rotation assumedly. If Walker bounces, that will be a different discussion. 

I've been critical of Andre throughout the season, think his hands aren't great and he's foul prone, but he's impressed me of late. I thought he outperformed Walker last night for example. 

His decision into next year I'm watching. 

19 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Andre piece is a bit interesting, but not shocking imo. He was a very late add and they seemingly recruited over him with Wilhelm. Remember, Wilhelm was getting a bulk of the backup big minutes before Andres "breakout game" like the third game of the year. I personally am interested in him next year, especially if Walker comes back. Walker and kieta would be the top two in the rotation assumedly. If Walker bounces, that will be a different discussion. 

I've been critical of Andre throughout the season, think his hands aren't great and he's foul prone, but he's impressed me of late. I thought he outperformed Walker last night for example. 

His decision into next year I'm watching. 

I dont see why Wilhelm shouldnt be strictly at the 4 if everyone of the bigs come back.  Andre is a 5 and nothing else.  

50 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:
2 hours ago, coughunter said:

I think we'll win 3 games. Coach stays.

I don't think there is any chance we fire Hoiberg and eat the entirety of his buyout...meaning, unless booster(s) step up to the table, we're running this thing back at least another year.  My guess is that boosters are probably more interested in funneling money into NIL and the football program.  As others have suggested, I strongly suspect that Trev will attempt to restructure Hoiberg after this season to reduce his buyout.  However, what incentive does Hoiberg have in doing that?  Trev will have to earn his money on this one.  I don't envy his position.

41 minutes ago, coughunter said:

I dont see why Wilhelm shouldnt be strictly at the 4 if everyone of the bigs come back.  Andre is a 5 and nothing else.  

Next year he will likely. Needs to be honestly and they'll close games with him at the 5 I imagine. But IF Walker comes back (it's a discussion, no pro aspirations) you have two bigs who can make an argument to start and Oleg. Andre would be 2/3 in that pecking order, and he probably wants to start. Rightfully so

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

Next year he will likely. Needs to be honestly and they'll close games with him at the 5 I imagine. But IF Walker comes back (it's a discussion, no pro aspirations) you have two bigs who can make an argument to start and Oleg. Andre would be 2/3 in that pecking order, and he probably wants to start. Rightfully so

He's not starting here and I dont think Walker comes back.  Andre can xfer to a lower level if he wants.  Then your stuck with Ola and Keita both who havent played at this level.  I assume Ola is a downgrade from where Andre is.  This team needs more size and a true pg and not so many wings.  Then you have an issue of recruiting and staffing.  Do you keep your assistants?  What good is Nate and Armon now if they don't recruit.  Feel bad for Armon who has settled in his to not recruit.  Hard to get another higher level job without those connections over the past few years.  

On 1/18/2022 at 12:08 PM, The Polish Rifle said:

If we fired Hoiberg after this year it would be the highest buyout ever for a CBB coach. If fired after next year, it would be tied for the largest buyout ever with Wake/Danny Manning - and significantly larger than next highest buyout. The contract is awful...

Thanks, Bill. 

I don't know what's more embarrassing:

Paying out the largest buyout ever for a basketball coach.

Or bringing back a coach who is about to coach an 0-20 or 1-19 or 2-18 Big Ten Team, in his third season, and waxing poetic about what a great job he's doing and how the future is bright. 

11 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I don't know what's more embarrassing:

Paying out the largest buyout ever for a basketball coach.

Or bringing back a coach who is about to coach an 0-20 or 1-19 or 2-18 Big Ten Team, in his third season, and waxing poetic about what a great job he's doing and how the future is bright. 

Can you imagine if we go 0-20. Trev will either have to bring back the coach with the worst P6 conf season of all time. Or pay out the largest buyout in CBB history. Historically bad in either way. That's like having to drop a 20lb weight on one of your feet OR having to drop a 20lb weight on the other foot. Good luck Trev. 

18 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Can you imagine if we go 0-20. Trev will either have to bring back the coach with the worst P6 conf season of all time. Or pay out the largest buyout in CBB history. Historically bad in either way. That's like having to drop a 20lb weight on one of your feet OR having to drop a 20lb weight on the other foot. Good luck Trev. 

Steel toes or no steel toes?

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

We won't go 0-20 or even 1-19 because that would make the decision easy. We'll win 2 or 3 in order to fracture the fan base between, "Fire him!" and "He deserves a 4th year and/or we can't afford the buyout." 

I have trouble believing 2-18 or 3-17 and the third straight year in last place fractures the fan base.   The only issue in that situation is the buyout.  Not the "deserves" part (cue someone who can post Clint Eastwood/William Muney "deserves got nothing to do with it" line from Unforgiven).

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Bunga bunga?

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

We won't go 0-20 or even 1-19 because that would make the decision easy. We'll win 2 or 3 in order to fracture the fan base between, "Fire him!" and "He deserves a 4th year and/or we can't afford the buyout." 

Actually we will go 0-20, then we’ll beat Northwestern in the Big Ten 14 vs. 11 game. Then we’ll pull an upset over 6 seed Indiana to make the quarterfinals, where we’ll play the 3 seed and get beat by 20. Then half the fanbase will want to run it back next year.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:53 PM, brfrad said:

We better put faith in Fred right now.  He is not going anywhere for at least 3 years, barring Trev doing the impossible.  Getting Fred to agree to a reworked contract.

3 years? You truly believe he gets 3 more years no matter what (if we can’t restructure his contract)? 3 more years of 0-20 to 5-15 conference seasons would be detrimental to ticket sales and attendance and overall interest. Attendance is already bad for Big Ten games against decent opponents. It will only get worse. I completely disagree with that sentiment that we’ll just let him ride out his contract for 3 more years. 

that Kobe Webster interview was jarring. The players don’t get along. They don’t trust the coaches. The coaches seemingly don’t care. They run this ship like an NBA program with free agency. 

I can definitely see another season. But I think they would need to win at minimum 6-7 conference games next year and finish in the top 10 of the conference to earn a fifth year. 

28 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Actually we will go 0-20, then we’ll beat Northwestern in the Big Ten 14 vs. 11 game. Then we’ll pull an upset over 6 seed Indiana to make the quarterfinals, where we’ll play the 3 seed and get beat by 20. Then half the fanbase will want to run it back next year.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:48 AM, hhcmatt said:

Put me down for the first round of the B1G tournament

This is a high steaks outcome for me