Hot Seat

GoBigRed

3 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I checked all of our coaches' contracts.  Will Bolt also got an extension in June of 2020 that no one knew about. 

If we hadn't let Moos go in 2021 it's pretty likely we'd be looking at a $22M instead of a $18.5M buyout right now.

Wait? Will is on the hot seat too?😐

7 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I checked all of our coaches' contracts.  Will Bolt also got an extension in June of 2020 that no one knew about. 

If we hadn't let Moos go in 2021 it's pretty likely we'd be looking at a $22M instead of a $18.5M buyout right now.

Moos must have been having alot of fun that June evening. Was that during the shutdown? Probably has an awesome bottle of papis while watching Tiger King then started drunk dialing. 

Just catching up on this thread and my main takeaway is that I laughed, and then I got sad when I realized that I have full confidence Norm Peterson would have this team at least at 6-11 right now. Is it that hard to imagine any one of us could take this group into these 17 games and say "alright guys, go out there and play ball and if you look tired or you're not trying on defense, I'll sub you out for someone who will" and we wouldn't have at least 6 wins? 

Western Illinois

Sam Houston

Idaho State

Southern

Tennessee State

South Dakota

Kennesaw State

Our players should be able to win all 7 of these games with no "system" or "philosophy" or "game plan". If you put our best 10 and any one of these teams' best 10 in a shirts vs. skins game, I have full confidence we beat all of them. Instead we're paying someone millions upon millions to get even less out of them.

Edited by GoBigFred

20 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Apples to oranges, I guess, but Will Bolt is making less than half of the salary for Frost's OC, who I'd never heard of before.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/new-nebraska-oc-mark-whipple-set-to-make-875-000-in-first-year/article_b2deb760-7543-11ec-84ed-77b38d70fd79.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Apples to oranges, I guess, but Will Bolt is making less than half of the salary for Frost's OC, who I'd never heard of before.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/new-nebraska-oc-mark-whipple-set-to-make-875-000-in-first-year/article_b2deb760-7543-11ec-84ed-77b38d70fd79.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

If Will does again this year what he did last year, Trev better find a way to compensate him nicely.  At least one of the men's programs needs to have a pulse.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Amy Williams didn't get a contract extension.

The pattern and  overall point here is that Bill Moos was granting contract extensions to coaches based solely on the criteria that he hired them. Bolt could have coached a full season with zero wins and he's still getting that cocktail napkin with "one more year" written on it.

We better put faith in Fred right now.  He is not going anywhere for at least 3 years, barring Trev doing the impossible.  Getting Fred to agree to a reworked contract.

Again, I am going to beat this drum.  We need experience in the program.  We have 1 3rd year player (Walker).  We have 4 2nd year players (Lat, Trey, Kobe, and Andre) We have 5 1st year players (Verge, Bryce, Wilhelm, Wilcher, and Keisei)

Out of all those players we hopefully can keep 5 of them.  That means we most likely are going to have 5 1st year players again, barring another miracle.  How can it be so hard to keep players?  Fans got on Miles for losing players.  Fred is telling Miles to hold his NyQuil.  

Look at Fred's roster turnover

1st year 2 players from Miles' final year (Burke and Thor)

2nd year 5 players returned (Walker, Thor, Stevenson, Yvan, and Banton)

3rd year 5 players returned (Walker, Lat, Trey, Kobe, and Andre)

6 hours ago, brfrad said:

We better put faith in Fred right now.  He is not going anywhere for at least 3 years, barring Trev doing the impossible.  Getting Fred to agree to a reworked contract.

Again, I am going to beat this drum.  We need experience in the program.  We have 1 3rd year player (Walker).  We have 4 2nd year players (Lat, Trey, Kobe, and Andre) We have 5 1st year players (Verge, Bryce, Wilhelm, Wilcher, and Keisei)

Out of all those players we hopefully can keep 5 of them.  That means we most likely are going to have 5 1st year players again, barring another miracle.  How can it be so hard to keep players?  Fans got on Miles for losing players.  Fred is telling Miles to hold his NyQuil.  

Look at Fred's roster turnover

1st year 2 players from Miles' final year (Burke and Thor)

2nd year 5 players returned (Walker, Thor, Stevenson, Yvan, and Banton)

3rd year 5 players returned (Walker, Lat, Trey, Kobe, and Andre)

Forgot about Yvan.  We could sure use his body right now.

If we operate under the assumption that Fred is back next year and the recruiting class stays together, Kieta will be the size of big we haven't really had here in a while. Paired with a recovered Breidenbach, that's a nice start to a front court. If then can convince Walker to come back, I'd be very happy with that. 

Edwards has already transferred once, so I think he'll be back. This will be an important offseason of development for him. Wilcher has already transferred a well. So he'll be back. Everyone's raved about McPherson, I'm excited to see him and Dawson next year, too. 

I have no expectation that the McGowens bros will be back. Maybe something will shift there. 

I think a lot of next year's success hinges on Kieta being a legit B1G post player and finding a legit PG. If those two things don't come together, it'll be another long year. It might be even if they do.

13 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

If we operate under the assumption that Fred is back next year and the recruiting class stays together, Kieta will be the size of big we haven't really had here in a while. Paired with a recovered Breidenbach, that's a nice start to a front court. If then can convince Walker to come back, I'd be very happy with that. 

Edwards has already transferred once, so I think he'll be back. This will be an important offseason of development for him. Wilcher has already transferred a well. So he'll be back. Everyone's raved about McPherson, I'm excited to see him and Dawson next year, too. 

I have no expectation that the McGowens bros will be back. Maybe something will shift there. 

I think a lot of next year's success hinges on Kieta being a legit B1G post player and finding a legit PG. If those two things don't come together, it'll be another long year. It might be even if they do.

FWIW Keita is listed at 6’10” 235 and Eduardo Andre is listed at 6’11” 236. Keita is also 2 years older than Eduardo so he might not have much developing to do physically when he gets here. He does appear to have post skills and feel for a back to the basket big that we haven’t had in awhile. 

2 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

FWIW Keita is listed at 6’10” 235 and Eduardo Andre is listed at 6’11” 236. Keita is also 2 years older than Eduardo so he might not have much developing to do physically when he gets here. He does appear to have post skills and feel for a back to the basket big that we haven’t had in awhile. 

The pics and videos I've seen of him looks like he's built quite a bit differently than Ed is. Andre looks a lot leaner than Blaise. Maybe I'm wrong in that perception.

This is recent Coffeyville game, from about a week ago, I think. To me, he looks quite a bit stronger than Ed.

This is a bit off-topic in this thread of having to potentially eat millions of dollars on the contract of our dream coach, but boy I hope we can hold on to Andre for 5 years.  Part of this deal where we have these guys in the conference kill us with their bigs is that a lot of them are upperclassmen.

5 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

if you would've told anyone 5 years ago we'd get Frost/Hoiberg to Coach here, & that they would have two of the WORST records in program history, not one single person, not one, would've believed you...

I would have taken it a step further and recommend to the person who told me such nonsense go and seek psychiatric help.  Now a lot of us probably need a shrink and AA to boot 😀

6 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

if you would've told anyone 5 years ago we'd get Frost/Hoiberg to Coach here, & that they would have two of the WORST records in program history, not one single person, not one, would've believed you...

I absolutely would have believed that about Frost.  Hoiberg though?  I really thought he'd have us on the right track by Year 2.

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

This is a bit off-topic in this thread of having to potentially eat millions of dollars on the contract of our dream coach, but boy I hope we can hold on to Andre for 5 years.  Part of this deal where we have these guys in the conference kill us with their bigs is that a lot of them are upperclassmen.

You cant think that way though.  Would it be nice to hold onto him?  Sure.  But they arent winning with the guys on the roster so they can sure lose without them.  Whoever the coach is needs players to compete in this conference.  If a change is made then you hope the new coach does whats best for the program.  Its not like Andre is a world beater.  I feel he has regressed since last year.

17 minutes ago, coughunter said:

You cant think that way though.  Would it be nice to hold onto him?  Sure.  But they arent winning with the guys on the roster so they can sure lose without them.  Whoever the coach is needs players to compete in this conference.  If a change is made then you hope the new coach does whats best for the program.  Its not like Andre is a world beater.  I feel he has regressed since last year.

Look at this year though.  We got stars… but we don’t have a team.  We’ve got talent, but we don’t have upperclassman.  You have to have both to be very successful in this conference.  

The “not a world beater” comments— and I’m not just singling you out either— drive me bonkers.  This is said year in and year out about someone and those that stay all 4 years always end up being someone we wish could have “just 1 more year.”

Brandon Ubel, Tai Webster, Benny Parker, Thor… the list is long of players who, while they weren’t lighting up the stat sheets, we always ended up saying “man I wish we had them for one more year to combine with XYZ recruit”

Edited by hskr4life

6 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Maybe next year will be the year that replacing the guys who weren't winning with guys who never have will work out.

51 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

historically bad, yeah, that would've been a stretch. but i definitely would've believed both failing. Frost had too thin of a record coming in and Nebraska's a tough place to coach. Hoiberg just came off underachieving with the Bulls for 4 years, and though their fan base is a bit mixed on him, his roster was bette rthan their record. 

Historically bad at a place like Nebraska is a pretty high bar in basketball to clear, so Hoiberg had that going for him. 

I can say I never drank the kool aid for either one of them. I don't think rok star hires or flavor of the month hires are what Nebraska needs to succeed. 

Edited by tcp