Hot Seat

GoBigRed

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Hoiberg Extension

Here's that one year extension Fred got in June of 2020 that seems like exhibit H in the case of how letting our human ATM of an AD go was a cost savings move.

What exactly was the point of this extension? Not like you have to be extended out 7 years to recruit. Also doubt other teams were blowing up Fred's cell after a 7-25 (2-18) season.

18 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

This isn't meant to diss anyone, but for those who see promise with the pieces we have, plus those coming, I see little evidence most of them return. We'll probably have 7-8 new parts next season. Rinse and repeat. 

I am one of those, but also agree with you. Could easily see mass exodus again. 

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It's hard to believe you could get NU basketball boosters to come up with that kind of money. Year 4 seems a certainty.

Yeah, hi, Tom, it's Norm from NU fundraising, how's it going?

Awesome! I see you've had a really good year. Company is doing GREAT, I see your stuff all over the place, congratulations!

Absolutely! Hey, I'll cut right to the chase: We need some walking around money to go find a new hoops ...

What's that?

Tapped out, huh?

Oh, yeah, I can understand that. That receiver had to cost some money.

HOLY SHIT THAT MUCH?

Well, yeah, I understand but that doesn't go through us so I had no idea it took that kind of ...

Yeah, of course I understand these things cost money. But coaches do too and ...

Try the guy from Crete Carrier?  You mean Ton?

Yeah, I actually tried him already and he's apparently busy cutting radio ads for drivers ...

Yeah, I get that things are tough all over but do you think you could ... Tom? Tom, you there?

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I put a lot of that on the Press and the Coaches for way over hyping these guys before we saw them play one game. None of them really live up to the hype that was given.  These guys were supposed to be at a minimum as good as Nee's best teams at Nebraska.  Nee's best teams would destroy these guys.

Matt A and another staff member were on 93.7 last spring literally saying that Tominaga is the Asian Steph Curry. No pressure there at all. 

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they do let Fred go, I just wanna say I am available to coach this program and I will do it for 1/3 of what they paid Fred and I GUARANTEE I will come within 7 wins per year of what he has posted. Guaranteed.

TREV:  How would you like to coach the Huskers this year?

NORM:  I don't know...

TREV: What do ya mean you don't know? This is a chance to coach in the Big Ten.

NORM: Lemme think it over, will ya, Trev. I got a guy on the other line about some whitewalls. I'll talk to ya later.

3 minutes ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

Matt A and another staff member were on 93.7 last spring literally saying that Tominaga is the Asian Steph Curry. No pressure there at all. 

He is. In that all he does is shoot three-pointers. He may not make them... but nobody ever asked what it meant to be compared to Steph Curry :lol:

(Actually wanted to verify my thoughts before sending... He's #1 on the team in 3pt attempts, #2 is more than 10+ attempts lower, 74% of his shots are 3PA, and he averages 7.9 pts a game.)

5 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

NORM: Lemme think it over, will ya, Trev. I got a guy on the other line about some whitewalls. I'll talk to ya later.

Also:

TREV: We need to find a way to fill the stadium again. We could really use you.

NORM: I'm busy, but maybe there's another way to do it?

TREV: Is there? I'll do anything.

NORM: Stop treating adults like kids and serve some beer at the games already.

TREV: Well, but...

NORM: ...and NyQuil.

22 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

He is. In that all he does is shoot three-pointers. He may not make them... but nobody ever asked what it meant to be compared to Steph Curry :lol:

(Actually wanted to verify my thoughts before sending... He's #1 on the team in 3pt attempts, #2 is more than 10+ attempts lower, 74% of his shots are 3PA, and he averages 7.9 pts a game.)

This had me thinking. And here we are:

Percentage of Three-Point Shots vs. Total Shots:

T. Lakes: 93% (13 of 14 attempts)

K. Edwards: 75% (12 of 16)

K. Tominaga: 74% (86 of 116)

L. Mayen: 70% (51 of 73)

C. Wilcher: 66% (69 of 104)

W. Breidenbach: 51% (20 of 39)

K. Webster: 49% (41 of 84)

B. McGowens: 38% (77 of 201)

A. Verge Jr.: 14% (28 of 197)

E. Andre: 3% (1 of 31)

D. Walker: 1% (1 of 91)

T. McGowens: 0% (0 of 13)

J. Cronin: 0% (0 of 2)

C. McGraw: N/A (0 of 0)

And as you can see, there's only five players who have attempted fewer than 10 three-point shots.

As the phrase goes: "You die by the three-pointer when you rely on it at Nebraska." (Or something like that...)

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And as you can see, there's only five players who have attempted fewer than 10 three-point shots.

As the phrase goes: "You die by the three-pointer when you rely on it at Nebraska." (Or something like that...)

Alright, I'll bite one more time.

Three-Point Attempts per 40 Minutes:

K. Tominaga: 10.1

T. Lakes: 7.2

C. Wilcher: 6.8

L. Mayen: 6.4

K. Edwards: 5.9

B. McGowens: 5.8

K. Webster: 5.7

W. Breidenback: 5.1

A. Verge Jr.: 2.4

E. Andre: 0.3

D. Walker: 0.1

T. McGowens: 0.0

J. Cronin: 0.0

C. McGraw: 0.0

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

A+++ use of the Major League quote here!  So does that make Chris Balham our Jake Taylor?  I think he has a year or two of eligibility left.  If that’s the case— anyone know someone with some eligibility playing hoops at the State Penn?

5 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

A+++ use of the Major League quote here!  So does that make Chris Balham our Jake Taylor?  I think he has a year or two of eligibility left.  If that’s the case— anyone know someone with some eligibility playing hoops at the State Penn?

I used to be in a fantasy football league and every year when we got together for the draft the same dude...every year...would quote this line if someone tried to draft someone who had retired or was on IR or something.  It always got a chuckle.

Edited by 49r

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

If I was Vegas taking bets on the future of FH I'd say

1/2 - retained

1/5 - resigned

1/6 - fired

If I was gambling then I'd bet on resigned because I think it's 50/50 he resigns

I’d say it’s higher than that. He’ll wake up like Darin Erstad did one day and say, I don’t need to put up with this s**t anymore…

18 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Alright, I'll bite one more time.

Three-Point Attempts per 40 Minutes:

K. Tominaga: 10.1

T. Lakes: 7.2

C. Wilcher: 6.8

L. Mayen: 6.4

K. Edwards: 5.9

B. McGowens: 5.8

K. Webster: 5.7

W. Breidenback: 5.1

A. Verge Jr.: 2.4

E. Andre: 0.3

D. Walker: 0.1

T. McGowens: 0.0

J. Cronin: 0.0

C. McGraw: 0.0

If you look at the Big Ten, Tominaga ranks #4 in the league for most three-point attempts per 40 minutes of playing time* (*minimum 100 minutes played this season):

1. Newman (Purdue): 12.88

2. Sandwort (Iowa): 12.33

3. Plummer (Illinois): 10.37

4. Tominaga (Nebraska): 10.15

5. Bohannon (Iowa): 9.78

6. Stefanovic (Purdue): 8.92

7. Russell (Ohio State): 8.54

8. Brown (Michigan State): 8.45

9. Ahrens (Ohio State): 8.43

10. Davison (Wisconsin): 8.37

19 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Wow this is eye opening..  Way to many 3 pointers IMO.  Especially with our shooting percentages being as bad as they are!

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

If you look at the Big Ten, Tominaga ranks #4 in the league for most three-point attempts per 40 minutes of playing time* (*minimum 100 minutes played this season):

1. Newman (Purdue): 12.88

2. Sandwort (Iowa): 12.33

3. Plummer (Illinois): 10.37

4. Tominaga (Nebraska): 10.15

5. Bohannon (Iowa): 9.78

6. Stefanovic (Purdue): 8.92

7. Russell (Ohio State): 8.54

8. Brown (Michigan State): 8.45

9. Ahrens (Ohio State): 8.43

10. Davison (Wisconsin): 8.37

Right now Tominaga is hitting 33% of his threes which is, at least to me, the bare minimum you want from a guy shooting a lot of threes.  I’d prefer it closer to 40%….with better shot selection/looks I think he could reasonably get there.  Problem is I don’t see that happening with how our offense runs at the moment.