Hot Seat

GoBigRed

On 12/23/2021 at 10:59 PM, royalfan said:

You might perceive it that way due to your complete ignorance.  I did not give my opinion on a single thing that you babbled on about replying to my post.  Typically if someone quotes someone they discuss the post.  You went off on some idiotic tangent that I didn't even discuss.  I simply made reference to the fact they both look worse for wear from when they were hired.  You start spewing the differences between football and basketball.  Completely unrelated to my post.  Obviously reading comprehension is a problem for you.  Do better. 

Just so we are on the same page and to avoid and "reading comprehension" issues.

"  On 12/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, royalfan said:

My vocabulary doesn't go deep enough.  I do put about 17 or so of them on Miles.  There was not any talent whatsoever left behind.  But even then, it is hard to fathom or put into words.  Hoiberg looks exhausted.  It is a very similar story as Frost.  Comes in good looking, energetic.  Seems like it will work great.  Neither guys systems worked well in Big 10 and both very uncomfortable figuring out what does work.  Both look beaten down and defeated.  Neither likely to have a very happy ending.  Tough deal.  "

I do put about 17 or so of them on Miles.

Which 17?

There was not any talent whatsoever left behind.

Please expand on this so I don't misinterpret your intention. Please be specific.

It is a very similar story as Frost.  Comes in good looking, energetic.  Seems like it will work great.  Neither guys systems worked well in Big 10 and both very uncomfortable figuring out what does work.  Both look beaten down and defeated.  Neither likely to have a very happy ending.  Tough deal. 

What makes you say that? Specifically at what point this football season did SF look "beaten down and defeated." Which games where those? Was it when lost by 7 on the road at OU? When lost by 3 to MSU on the road? How about losing by 4 at home to MU? When exactly did you perceive that SF looked worse for wear from when he was hired?

My issue is with conflating what has happened with football to that of basketball. They are not the same thing and I think you know it, but typical Husker fan can't help themself but take a shot at SF on a Husker Basketball board talking about whether or not FH is on the hot seat.

Remember we are talking in general about Men's basketball and specifically FH, although TM was brought up, which is fair game since it is still basketball related.. YOU where the person who brought up SF and football. My response was certainly not out of bounds since you are the one who brought it SF and Football. I can't help that you were not able to follow along with your own post.

When I started this thread on December 4 after the loss at Indiana I was pretty frustrated with how our 5-4 season had gone so far.

Since that day, we are 1-6 with an average margin of defeat of 20.2 points in those 6 losses, and we have the one rousing home win against Kennesaw State. If you had to draw up an absolute bare minimum expectation for the 7 games following the Indiana loss you would probably say 1-6 with an average margin of defeat way smaller than 20 points.

I know, Trey and Wilhelm being out as hurt. Every team deals with shit. No excuse. 

On December 4 we had 5 wins and realtimerpi projected us for 10 total. You thought that was bad…now we have 6 wins and our projection is 8. Amazing.

I’m strengthening my stance. I see no hope for this staff’s future here. We are winning anywhere from 0 to 5 Big Ten games this year. Whatever, it’s all the same: horrible. But if Trev isn’t going to base his evaluation of this staff on wins and losses this year (since he called this Year 1 of his evaluation for all our coaches), we will see will he hold true to his word of “I want to see players that play hard and fight and compete (talking about football).”

Because if you do an honest evaluation of this program, the vast majority of the time they do not play hard, fight and compete. They have spurts of it, but a 20.2 ppg margin of defeat is what it is: getting beaten soundly all the time. 

It’s very rare to have a complete dogshit Power 5 basketball team and not be able to say “at least we have a bunch of talent returning and/or sitting out on the bench this year.” We don’t have that. We have a shit team that if we are being honest has no real founded source of optimism heading into next year. That’s what is most depressing to me. We have the next 2 months of this to look forward to and then nothing on paper next year to be excited about (and please don’t try and sell me on the optimism of returning a handful of Big Ten role players at best and one big man recruit who has done nothing here. Every Big Ten team has that and more every year.) 

Sorry for the long rant and bumping this thread. It’s just that the reality should be setting in for everyone. We went with quick fix bandaid approach for 3 years and now here we are with a horrible team and even worse, we aren’t building anything.

Edited by GoBigFred

On 12/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, huskerbill85 said:

No I don't see Fred on the hot seat. Should get 2 more seasons.

Not picking on just you huskerbill-- it was just the first post I saw like this while searching through.

I'm wondering how those of you that had this type of view just a month ago feel today?  Seriously.  No judgement here, just wondering how low it's gotten in the past month for even the biggest optimists like myself.

34 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Not picking on just you huskerbill-- it was just the first post I saw like this while searching through.

I'm wondering how those of you that had this type of view just a month ago feel today?  Seriously.  No judgement here, just wondering how low it's gotten in the past month for even the biggest optimists like myself.

I was very excited, and historically have been one of the last off the bandwagon...Nee, Collier, Doc, Miles...but Hoiberg has had zero positive growth. We don't get NBA players regularly and those we do are reserve/role players in the league so we have to be a 4-year, our experience beats your youth kind of program with a teacher and developers in the staff, because we seem to be lacking cohesion and there isn't NBA talent to make up for it. McGowens may become a great player in a few years, but not with the lack of development this team is receiving.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

The record unfortunately speaks for itself however I don't consider him on the hot seat due to that buyout. I think this program dwindles until his buyout is more reachable. 

15 minutes ago, doc1394 said:

I don’t think there is a legitimate argument for keeping him around another year. After the game I was hoping they’d just let Gates coach the rest of the year but I’ve simmered down a bit. 

My only argument at this point is I actually love his incoming recruiting class mixed with the pieces from the past one who will be back. 

4 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

When I started this thread on December 4 after the loss at Indiana I was pretty frustrated with how our 5-4 season had gone so far.

Since that day, we are 1-6 with an average margin of defeat of 20.2 points in those 6 losses, and we have the one rousing home win against Kennesaw State. If you had to draw up an absolute bare minimum expectation for the 7 games following the Indiana loss you would probably say 1-6 with an average margin of defeat way smaller than 20 points.

I know, Trey and Wilhelm being out as hurt. Every team deals with shit. No excuse. 

On December 4 we had 5 wins and realtimerpi projected us for 10 total. You thought that was bad…now we have 6 wins and our projection is 8. Amazing.

I’m strengthening my stance. I see no hope for this staff’s future here. We are winning anywhere from 0 to 5 Big Ten games this year. Whatever, it’s all the same: horrible. But if Trev isn’t going to base his evaluation of this staff on wins and losses this year (since he called this Year 1 of his evaluation for all our coaches), we will see will he hold true to his word of “I want to see players that play hard and fight and compete (talking about football).”

Because if you do an honest evaluation of this program, the vast majority of the time they do not play hard, fight and compete. They have spurts of it, but a 20.2 ppg margin of defeat is what it is: getting beaten soundly all the time. 

It’s very rare to have a complete dogshit Power 5 basketball team and not be able to say “at least we have a bunch of talent returning and/or sitting out on the bench this year.” We don’t have that. We have a shit team that if we are being honest has no real founded source of optimism heading into next year. That’s what is most depressing to me. We have the next 2 months of this to look forward to and then nothing on paper next year to be excited about (and please don’t try and sell me on the optimism of returning a handful of Big Ten role players at best and one big man recruit who has done nothing here. Every Big Ten team has that and more every year.) 

Sorry for the long rant and bumping this thread. It’s just that the reality should be setting in for everyone. We went with quick fix bandaid approach for 3 years and now here we are with a horrible team and even worse, we aren’t building anything.

We always look for reasons and excuses as to why this will work and point to the future year as the year.  Im guilty too.  But you said it.  This team is garbage.  The fact that Fred allowed these players to be signed from Matts recruiting either shiws no development, or just bad recruiting.  How you have no pg in year 3 just amazes me.  Imagine a 3 star sr xfer from a smaller school would have been more effecrtive. The pace and 3's are just brutal.  And the effort.   

26 minutes ago, coughunter said:

Does Keisei, Andre, Keon, Wilhelm, CJ, if they return excite you with the new recruits?  I dont know...

Was thinking same thing earlier. There isn't anyone who's coming back or that I think comes back that makes me feel positive for the next couple years. PBA will become a ghost town if single digit win seasons keep coming.

Edited by roscoe

20 minutes ago, roscoe said:

Was thinking same thing earlier. There isn't anyone who's coming back or that I think comes back that makes me feel positive for the next couple years. PBA will become a ghost town if single digit win seasons keep coming.

It already is.  Ive only gone to 2 games.  Im done with season tickets after this year after 10 plus years.  The shine has worn off.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Is this dude gonna get fired?

Much like Frost, I don’t “want” that - but Christ…. What are they doing?

Well I keep hearing how Trev is cut throat because he gutted football and wrestling at his old job. Maybe he's actually a methodical AD that realizes he has resources to help coaches instead of trying to fire his way to success. Like I mentioned in the other thread I have no problem if he has the "Frost talk" with Fred. I don't believe making some changes/setting certain goals to save a coaches job is a bad thing. The football team has had a nice off season thus far, I don't believe waiting it out a year will hurt that program nor do I think it would hurt the basketball program either. 

33 minutes ago, coughunter said:

It already is.  Ive only gone to 2 games.  Im done with season tickets after this year after 10 plus years.  The shine has worn off.

Crowd for tOSU was ok and actually was into it late in regulation. I'm talking about what Rutgers and Penn St  used to be like. Thinking Kent even made comment on radio about having to talk quieter so it wouldn't bother huskers when shooting a free throw.

41 minutes ago, huskerbill85 said:

Well I keep hearing how Trev is cut throat because he gutted football and wrestling at his old job. Maybe he's actually a methodical AD that realizes he has resources to help coaches instead of trying to fire his way to success. Like I mentioned in the other thread I have no problem if he has the "Frost talk" with Fred. I don't believe making some changes/setting certain goals to save a coaches job is a bad thing. The football team has had a nice off season thus far, I don't believe waiting it out a year will hurt that program nor do I think it would hurt the basketball program either. 

Outside of the team quitting and more blowout losses Im not sure it can get worse....

1 hour ago, coughunter said:

Does Keisei, Andre, Keon, Wilhelm, CJ, if they return excite you with the new recruits?  I dont know...

Those guys could definitely be a part if a good team if they figure out the right pieces around them. Especially CJ and WB. KT can have a role, too, but needs to be a supporting one, not a starter. Keon had the frame and was a top 100 recruit, so he should be able to fit. There’s some talent here. Just need to get the rest of the roster sorted out. 

15 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Those guys could definitely be a part if a good team if they figure out the right pieces around them. Especially CJ and WB. KT can have a role, too, but needs to be a supporting one, not a starter. Keon had the frame and was a top 100 recruit, so he should be able to fit. There’s some talent here. Just need to get the rest of the roster sorted out. 

That would also mean a big leap from all those players next year.  Keon doesnt see the floor, Wilhelm had stuggled in big 10, and Andre has regressed.  I have confidence in CJ only of those players.